stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
3/23/20 3:49 p.m.

I hope everyone's well.  Since many of us have a little more time on our hands due to the virus precautions, I was wondering...   Other than the never ending "honey do" list, are any of you doing any interesting car projects?

I'm doing "WFH" weekdays so I can at least keep up with the paperwork side of my job.  But with so much closed, the weekend was mostly available.  A year back I purchased a SS braided line to replace plastic oil pressure tube feeding my gauge,  so that was the project.  The engine end was no problem, but the gauge... Lets just say that the Sunbeam folks did not consider servicebility when laying out the Alpine/Tiger instrument panel.  With the speedometer removed, even with my little hands, I could barely get a finger on the nuts on the gauge's hold down bracket. 

After much time upside down under the panel, and, unusual for me, many rarely used combinations of naughty words, I got it back together... Only to realize that the new SS hose is quite stiff, resisting twisting so much that I couldn't rotate the gauge back to the proper alignment...  It's pointing at about 1 o'clock.  So it has to come out again next weekend to realign the hose adapter connections.  But at least it will keep me off the streets.

So have you been spending any of your extra home time on any toy car projects?

Stu

Gary
Gary UltraDork
3/23/20 9:08 p.m.

Hi Stu. LTNS. Hopefully, we'll meet again at the Thompson Vintage Festival in June, which is a week earlier this year. Actually, since Annie and I are both retired, we're not too far off our normal everyday routine, pre-crisis. Lots of time at home. But instead of going out to dinner in the evening, we're doing take-out at the same places. Just not as much physical social interaction, which we miss. I have some things that need to be done on my ongoing Spitfire project that I don't care to do myself. I have run out of gumption. So I'm putting together a project plan for that. I'll ship it out for somebody else to do. Pics above are what I've done so far. (Joe Curto has rebuilt the SU's, so that'll be a bolt-in). Incidentally, pay no attention to the AZ plate. It came on a Taurus wagon we bought out of AZ many years ago. I just thought it looked cool on the Spit. Eventually I'll need to get proper RI registration. 

Hope to see you in June when this crisis is over!

Gary
Gary UltraDork
3/23/20 9:35 p.m.

Mike (OF Racing), what have you been doing with your famous Spitfire racer during the winter? Any mods?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kvf9vtvujlI2huiOwfVowPeKERkGol4iaFdQP7IF9yqlydTV2wpz7XAzGP832W4u