David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/20/09 11:34 a.m.

We went to a drive-in movie this weekend. Even though it was a hundred-mile haul each way, it seemed like the appropriate place to see the zombie movie. So, anyone else visit one lately? Despite the drive, I have a feeling we'll be heading back regularly.

Sarah Beltrami
Sarah Beltrami Events Coordinator
10/20/09 12:32 p.m.

The last faux drive in I went to was last year when they flashed movies during the Daytona Dream Cruise on the side of the Volusia Mall.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/20/09 12:42 p.m.

It stinks that all the drive-ins have vanished. Much of my mis-spent youth took place under the big screen.

They do have a drive-in church here in the Daytona area......but no movies!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk New Reader
10/20/09 3:44 p.m.

Here, in the greater Detroit area, you can still go to a drive-in in the summer. Each year there is a temporary drive-in set up in the parking lot of the Compuware Arena in Plymouth. They have 3 screens and show a different flic on each. I haven't gone, but it would be a neat night out with some friends.

David S. Wallens
10/20/09 4:26 p.m.

This is the one we visited: http://www.silvermoondrivein.com/

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
10/20/09 5:36 p.m.

~This One~ in Warwick, NY is about 20 miles north of us.

Neat to go to in the Summer.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
10/21/09 8:56 a.m.

We have a drive-in with three screens right here in Lubbock:

Stars and Stripes

Pretty good snackbar, too!

The only downside is that they only broadcast the soundtrack in FM - I have to take a boom box when I take the Valiant.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
10/21/09 9:17 a.m.

There is one still operating in Vineland NJ (about 15 minutes from NJMP).

DneprDave
DneprDave New Reader
10/21/09 10:56 a.m.

We have two drive-in movie theaters near us. One is about 20 minutes away, the other, about an hour drive. both are closed in the winter.

Dave

David S. Wallens
10/21/09 11:56 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote: The only downside is that they only broadcast the soundtrack in FM - I have to take a boom box when I take the Valiant.

Ours also does the FM thing. The do have those old-school speakers, too, though.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
10/21/09 1:32 p.m.

I think Chicago has one left. This was in Indiana last week - maybe near Muncie.

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
10/21/09 7:45 p.m.

We have two drive ins with in a 15 minute drive from here. One is just across the street from from Franklin Roosevelt's estate. It was recently purchased by a preservation group and is going to remain open for the immediate future. They still get large crowds on the weekends.

Is just it me or do all Drive in concession stands look like the bunkers on top of a missile silo? It must be that they were all designed and built in the 50s.

mike

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/21/09 8:33 p.m.

We had a local one, but it blew away in a tornado a few years back, seriously. We still have one 20 minutes up the road though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb0bZnKKGoc

The cinema is still there, the drive in was right beside it.

gjz30075
gjz30075 New Reader
10/22/09 6:50 a.m.

Pete, is the Ski Hi still operational? From the looks of the date code in the pics, it might be shut down for the season. Or shut down for good.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
10/22/09 7:08 a.m.

Ski Hi looks to be shut down for good. I pulled into the field and there were no speakers. That concession stand looked a little rough too.

I just got that camera and haven't set the correct date code; piece of crap camera I don't feel like fooling with.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8gwtVyQTqqK8bm2aSlhb9geJaPpfxwCrY87DgH92zinQggvsVtNOYe6h1ZUy6oxt