Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
6/18/10 12:39 p.m.

We get all sorts of questions sent to our email, and this one got my interest.

Don the shipping guy said: Good afternoon, I'm a contractor for the Military. we ship the personal cars for members going overseas on assignment. recently we had an issue with a car that was being shipped by our company. subsequently the automatic transmission in now not working. can you direct me to someone in the USA that can work on it ? I'm in the north east , but I will truck the car where ever I have to. the member has been doing her time in Afghanistan and deserves to receive her car in perfect shape. any assistance would be greatly appreciated 1984 Austin mini (Automatic) Don

Does anybody have a good reference for this fellow? I imagine the automatic on these would be tricky to source in this country, but I'm surprised all the time.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
6/18/10 2:52 p.m.

You may end up having to buy a rebuilt one from Canada since they got them and we didn't. It's hard to find anyone around to rebuild anything that isn't pretty new or a gold mine in fees for little work.

DavidLMM
DavidLMM New Reader
6/18/10 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Tom Heath:

It's not the northeast, but try JD Damon at JD's British - he does a lot of oddball and high-end stuff here in Nashville. If he can't do it he may know someone. 615 361-3887

David

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/19/10 2:15 p.m.

Tom,

Can't personally vouch for them, but they advertise on MiniMania.

http://www.madhouseminis.com/services/index.php

Located in Massachusetts.

-John

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/20/10 7:02 a.m.

Ugh, a Mini autotragic. I don't know anyone who rebuilds those. Might be easier to just find another one to swap in. And that also would be a challenge to find. Maybe, just maybe Mini Mania or Mad House may have one sitting around.

I would strongly suggest changing it to a stick shift, but then the owner probably has the autotragic for a reason. Still, one could always learn to drive a proper gearbox.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
6/21/10 2:33 p.m.

Cooper Tune Racing in Hampton Va. might have some ideas. He seems to have a good grip on finding scarce Mini parts.

(757)880-9283

TJ
TJ Dork
6/21/10 4:28 p.m.
nickel_dime wrote: Cooper Tune Racing in Hampton Va. might have some ideas. He seems to have a good grip on finding scarce Mini parts. (757)880-9283

Second that - give Steve a call. I know he's worked on auto minis in the past.

Hey Roy.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/21/10 9:29 p.m.

I need an original seat for an early Mini.

dmidknight
dmidknight New Reader
6/22/10 11:57 a.m.

Hi Tim, I've got a few sets. What color are you looking for? I can get down to my storage tomorrow and take some pics.
Wayne dmidknight@hotmail.com

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kgO7dyK2Ru8k55TkoSZotHetzRN9sbQWt6whsCtC3qpVAs5Ob7HeVkUDuw62cEMm