greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
6/9/23 1:42 p.m.

I have to be *that* reader this month and nit-pick a little bit.  The article about the Pagodas in comparison to the R107.  

Great overview, enjoyed it and seemed accurate to me - EXCEPT - the way the R107 380SL was kind of off-handedly shoved aside.  Mentioning the 380SL as having an smaller engine, down on power, and so is interest these days.  

Having owned a few nice 450SLs, and driven (aggressively) one of, if not the best OEM+ built 450SLC, and currently driving a 1985 380SL (just completed 1500 miles on a classic car rally), I feel like I've got some perspective to weigh in.  

I, too, once discounted the 380SL, simply on the basis of the smaller engine and (my perception) of reduced performance.  The 3.8 V8 is just down a little bit on power, compared to the 4.5L - 7hp difference according to Wikipedia (I Know - take with a grain of salt, but I've read it in several different locations).  The point being, the difference in power is almost negligable.  What is NOT negligable, is the fact the 3.8L V8 is ALUMINUM, not cast iron lik the 4.5L!  Also, the 380 got an aluminum hood, so not only is it about 100lbs lighter, it's all on the nose, so braking, turning, handling, etc. all benefit!  The other big point to make that was overlooked, is that the 380's got a 4 speed automatic transmission instead of the 450's 3 speed.  So acceleration and rolling acceleration are all much better, as well as cruising rpms vs. speed.  

Overall, it is a better version of the car IMO, that often gets overlooked compared to the 450 and 560SL's.  

One recommendation I can make is to upgrade the shocks (especially the rears) to stiffen the ride and responsiveness a bit, and larger and wider wheels and tires.  If I was going to own one forever (I change cars like most people do socks) I would also put some lowering springs on it (mostly for the front but to stiffen the rear as well).  

Photo from Andrew Snucins at Meshed House Creative (super awesome automotive - and other stuff - photography/videography).  

Also - photo is with about 300lbs of extra tools in the trunk and two peoples luggage for 4 days.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/12/23 3:33 p.m.

The car looks terrific, and sounds like you found the one to get. The color looks stellar, too. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
6/14/23 11:31 a.m.

Another nit - the 230/250/280 pagodas were sixes, not fours as stated.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a7Yczj6mQSpM1QCmUPmkbVMKAPVg0xR14CMRvScugOB3KvG1K6uwfkTEzEnAZiXG