1 2
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/21/15 4:45 p.m.

Just received an email from a VSCDA friend with this info. It sounds like fun- if only I had a car that was put together and running

I thought I would pass on this information for those that may have local events they can attend with SCCA Solo Class. SCCA has come up with a new category for more Vintage Race Cars similar to ours. Solo events are typically individually timed parking lots events and are great fun. I found that a high duration cam makes it a little difficult to get a good start. Details below:

As of March 19th, a new supplemental solo class has been formed - Heritage Classic. The intent of this class is to provide a place for older technology cars to compete without the fear of being overrun by the new, high tech offerings that often exceed what was possible 40 or more years ago. Many names were considered but the final decision by Howard Duncan was to call it "Heritage Classic". This name is consistent with the theme and intent of the class and the recently formed "Classic American Muscle" category. While there has been a list of cars established the committee is interested in hearing requests for cars not on the list that would like to be included.

For more details go to the Solo section and look in "Cars and Rules". If you don't see a car on the list that you think should be included and want to come and play, let Howard or Doug Gill know through the SCCA web site. Preparation rules are also listed.

If you think it would be of interest to someone you know please spread the word.

Rationale: The purpose of Heritage Classic (HC) is to enable enthusiasts of sports cars and sedans from the early years of the SCCA to participate at SCCA Solo events with cars of similar technology. This participation can range from those wanting to see these cars in a competition setting, to those just wanting to drive their classic car aggressively, to those seeking serious competition. The core objective is to provide a fun experience for Heritage Classic car enthusiasts.

Background: These cars from the 1940’s through the 1970’s are an important part of the history of not only the SCCA, but of the American automotive scene and are worthy of being a part of the SCCA today so this history is not forgotten. The Heritage Classic class is intended to encourage the use and enjoyment of these cars by their owners and other event attendees. As such, the rules represent a level of car preparation that reflects the halcyon competitive days of these cars ‐ the mid‐1970s. This rule set time frame has been purposely selected to attract Production cars and Sedans of this era, as currently no other national organization offers an opportunity for these cars to compete in this configuration as typically the rules are either limited to 1972 and earlier versions OR these heritage vehicles must compete against more modern technology vehicles.

Invitation: SCCA Regions are encouraged to offer the Heritage Classic class as a way to entice avid enthusiasts who still have, or wish to build, race prepared cars of this era to bring their cars to your autocross site. This will provide an opportunity for members of the SCCA, auto enthusiasts, and the general public to enjoy watching and/or driving these foundational cars and join the fun at your SCCA Solo® events!

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/21/15 6:55 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android74: Wonderful thread start! Thanks so much for putting it up! Sadly, as I no longer have garage space to spare, I sold all my old cars. But it will be wonderful to see them out again!!

Thanks again!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
3/21/15 8:06 p.m.

I was wondering when something like this would happen. A step in the right direction although I think it is to get more people back into Solo/autocross. Now if they would look at the classing of stock vintage street cars that don't fall into American Classic or Vintage Racer. What chance does an all original MG Midget have against newer in its class.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/21/15 8:24 p.m.

Funny you mention the Midget- I have two in my garage right now, one being built to vintage race specs. Neither are anywhere close to being done.

Honestly I wonder how much attendance they will get. And what kinds of cars would show?

wlkelley3 wrote: I was wondering when something like this would happen. A step in the right direction although I think it is to get more people back into Solo/autocross. Now if they would look at the classing of stock vintage street cars that don't fall into American Classic or Vintage Racer. What chance does an all original MG Midget have against newer in its class.
mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/22/15 9:21 a.m.

It looks interesting. I assume the 1972 thing is pretty well locked in place and isn't likely to wander?
I'd personally like to see an Orphan Street class for those cars that have fallen off the end of the 30 year rule for the current Street classes. Make it a PAX class maybe? It would be nice to be able to have actual competition without having to chop up your car ala CAM

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/22/15 1:34 p.m.

I wasn't too sure about that year either mazdeuce. After re-reading, I wonder if they are referring to 1972 and earlier SCCA GCR?

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
3/22/15 7:29 p.m.

I just got back from the San Diego SCCA event at Qualcom and the HC class had three cars running the event. The first thing I would say is that these were all former GP cars that no longer have a home/class to run.

I do think this first pass is a starting point. "HC" will grow in scope. There are lots of older cars that will start to show up when the word gets out and then everyone will start adding to the conversation.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
3/22/15 8:17 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android74: I just mentioned Midget because I have a 63 Midget project in the garage.

The local racing club I autocross with starts the season with a school for first timers. Was this weekend. Two stock Spitfires showed up. Classed HS w/other cars like the Focus, Altima & other with twice the power, ESC, Anti-lock braking. Want to guess where the Spits ended up time-wise. Previous years someone brought a Midget, same result. Now saying that, The Spit/Midget drivers probably had the most fun as it really was pushing their cars to the limit.

Don't fully understand the Classic American Muscle class. How can new(ish) cars classify as classic? Just a class that allows modern updates on older American cars? Seem to have to modify the classic American cars to be competitive in this class. Not that it's a bad thing, just trying to understand. Anything that gets people out there using their cars I'm all for.

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
3/23/15 12:04 a.m.

So does this mean my 914 is not C street with all those Miatas(Miatae?)anymore?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
3/23/15 11:16 a.m.

NA & NB Miatas are E Street now and have been for a year. NC Miata are C Street. Don't know about 914.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/23/15 11:42 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Don't fully understand the Classic American Muscle class. How can new(ish) cars classify as classic? Just a class that allows modern updates on older American cars? Seem to have to modify the classic American cars to be competitive in this class. Not that it's a bad thing, just trying to understand. Anything that gets people out there using their cars I'm all for.

The CAM rules look as if they were written in such a way as to try and get as many American muscle cars that didn't have any other place to go fit into the class. Given just how many mods they allowed, I'm not sure there is a huge edge to running a newer car in that class.

Anyone else notice that the rules included some call outs specific to American 6 or 8 cylinder engines, but no such cars currently appear on the list of eligible vehicles? Planned class expansion, maybe?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
3/23/15 12:01 p.m.

The HC rules are pretty much a copy and paste of the old GP rules (2014) but they removed the newer FWD cars and added a few other cars.

GP was consolidated into DP this year because participation in GP was lacking. I am not sure why they are creating a "new" class when the same class before did not have good participation.

If you look over the HC Rules I think anything in the PDF in red is a change from the GP rules and everything else is the same.

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
3/23/15 12:47 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: NA & NB Miatas are E Street now and have been for a year. NC Miata are C Street. Don't know about 914.

I already know all of the above, 914 is in C street with pretty much any Porsche that is not new and not a 912

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/23/15 1:36 p.m.

Assuming my '73 GTV fits (since it's the same as a '72, and qualifies for TransAm racing), I could run limited prep as it sits. Not bad.

Full prep- by those rules, would make a pretty fun car.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/23/15 4:34 p.m.

Aren't all cars booted from Street after 30 years?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
3/23/15 5:31 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Aren't all cars booted from Street after 30 years?

At national events they are. However locally they can still run.

850Combat
850Combat Reader
3/23/15 11:22 p.m.

No home for B Sedan Ford Cortina in it, or my Seven.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/24/15 7:39 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Assuming my '73 GTV fits (since it's the same as a '72, and qualifies for TransAm racing), I could run limited prep as it sits. Not bad. Full prep- by those rules, would make a pretty fun car.

I take that back- my car isn't listed.

The Alfas that are eligible are either incredibly rare (the 1300 Spider) or incredibly valuble (Giuliettas, Giulas, Zagatos). In my time running with the Alfa club, I have seen less than 10 of those ever autocross. If they are race cars, they are now vintage racing, and not autocrossing.

The classic Alfas that do autocross- the GTV and 1750/2000 Spiders are not eleibible.

It's not about age- if you look at the listings- the Fiat X1/9 is in there, which was built between '74-8(something). And the Capri 2000 from 71-74 is listed, so it's not displacement. (this in the full prep area)

Limited prep has cars from the 80's (Renault and VW), 1800 914s (from the 70s), and even the Datsun 510. But no BMW 1800 or 2002 (1600, yes), and no Alfa GTV (1600, 1750, or 20000).

All in all, with the cars that they have eligible, the ones that are not listed is very, very confusing.

Good think I don't autocross anymore. They don't want my car, that's for sure.

JL
JL
3/24/15 7:35 p.m.

My thanks to all who have responded to this thread so far. Please keep those comments coming.

If you have or know of a car that might fit into this new supplemental class, or you think there are changes that might need to be made to some of the cars already listed, please email Howard Duncan or Doug Gill at the SCCA National Office and let them know. They, in turn, will relay those thoughts and ideas to the Heritage Classic Advisory Committee.

Are the rules and the list of eligible cars correct? Probably not. Is there room for improvement? You betcha! But at least this is a place to start. We just want to see as many of these older 2-valve cars as possible taken out of mothballs and put back into competition on a level playing field.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
3/24/15 9:19 p.m.

This is a link to our local version of "HC":

http://www.solo2.com/supp_regs/SCCA_Cal_Club_Solo_Supp_Rules_Regs_2013.pdfHISTORIC 1 (HST1)

Any category car, prepared in accordance with the SCCA National Solo Rule Book, with the following exceptions: a. All cars of 1968 vintage or older, except that the following cars are eligible regardless of year of manufacture due to similarity to eligible pre-1969 cars: Lotus Europa Series 1 & 2, Lotus Elan, Datsun 1600 & 2000, MGB, MG Midget, Morgan +4, 4/4 & Plus 8’ [Other cars may be added by written appeal to the Rules Committee] b. Each car will be PAXed according to Appendix C of this Rules Book. c. All Stock Class cars running tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or higher will receive an additional PAX of .975 over their Stock Class PAX.

HISTORIC 2: (HST2) a. Any category car, 1969 or newer, but at least 25 model-years old, prepared in accordance with the SCCA National Solo Rule Book. b. Each car will be PAXed according to Appendix C of this Rules Book. c. All Stock Class cars running tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or higher in classes which allow Dot-R tires will receive an additional PAX of .975 over their Stock Class PAX.

Next is a link to an on going update:

http://forums.solo2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8270

Results from our last event:

http://members.quixnet.net/free2000/cscc030815_fin.htm#HST1

Our next event is on April 19th at El Toro, if you can make the event we would like to add to the car count. http://forums.solo2.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8471

David

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/30/15 10:06 a.m.
JL wrote: My thanks to all who have responded to this thread so far. Please keep those comments coming. If you have or know of a car that might fit into this new supplemental class, or you think there are changes that might need to be made to some of the cars already listed, please email Howard Duncan or Doug Gill at the SCCA National Office and let them know. They, in turn, will relay those thoughts and ideas to the Heritage Classic Advisory Committee. Are the rules and the list of eligible cars correct? Probably not. Is there room for improvement? You betcha! But at least this is a place to start. We just want to see as many of these older 2-valve cars as possible taken out of mothballs and put back into competition on a level playing field.

I agree, it's a great start. Plus local regions are always free to bend/modify/whatever car class rules to fit their locals. Spec MGB? If there's the demand, why not.

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
4/1/15 3:19 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: They don't want my car, that's for sure.

You and me both brother, and I got the distinct impression that I must be some sort of idiot for even asking about it.

Ponder
Ponder New Reader
10/18/16 11:07 a.m.

Does anyone have a feel for how this class is being received and how its prospects look? I've been slogging around in DP and someone last weekend suggested looking at HCR. I was aware of the class but was distracted by other things until now.

Mister Fister
Mister Fister New Reader
10/18/16 2:11 p.m.
Ponder wrote: Does anyone have a feel for how this class is being received and how its prospects look? I've been slogging around in DP and someone last weekend suggested looking at HCR. I was aware of the class but was distracted by other things until now.

In the last year I have seen exactly 0 HC cars show up.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/18/16 8:57 p.m.

Not many know about the heritage classic class. Plus most that own cars that qualify don't want to subject their car to autocross abuse, don't want to risk damaging something. Most I know with cars that qualify would rather drive a country road than weave cones. We do have one or two here locally. One is a retired hillclimb race car - Fiat 124 (I think). The other is a 17 year old that brought an old Spitfire back to life. Have to admit that I have a car that qualifies, 70 Opel GT but autocross a Miata.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2UlcXn8GGYgP6ToCd1UkQqQUrkMA6zpMdE2DENXCGMOZY1DCf2mrdEPsL6hkEB5b