John Webber
John Webber
10/17/23 8:49 a.m.

Time to right a half-century wrong as we officially welcome Triumph’s elusive TR5 PI to the USA. This is the event, you may recall, that did not happen in 1967, an oversight that still troubles Triumphistas of a certain age. 

To them we say fret no more, your wait is over. And to compen…

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/17/23 12:57 p.m.

The federalized TR6 put out a whopping 104 bhp vs. the home market version was 150 bhp.  A friend had imported an injected TR6 so we had a chence to evaluate the differece - it was laughable! I don't know what the story as as to why the injected version couldn't be passed by the US - one would think that in general it would be easier to attain required emissions with an injected car than with carbs.  Possibly BLMC simply lacked the funds to certify the injected model over here based on expected sales.

Performance difference:

the (injected) Triumph TR6 manages to cover the 0-60 mph sprint in 8.2 seconds and the standing-start quarter mile in 16.3 seconds. Maximum stated speed is 192 km/h (119 mph).

On North American cars the figures were 1/4 in 17.9 secs., 0-60 in 10.7 secs and 109 mph top speed.

Tht's not to say that the TR6 we got was a waste of time - it was certainly better tan nothing and was a good looking car despite the shortcomings in straight line performance and handling (they botched the rear spring rates on the IRS suspension a tad). 

They were still fun to drive.  I had a really nice one behind me on a long, long hill on a British car club run once. He pulled out to pass and I floored it. Sadly for him, he thought that I was driving an MGB - I wasn't, I was driving my six cylinder MGC that I had reworked to 175 bhp.  The only way he could have told that it wasn't an MGB was by the hood bulge but of cours he never got to see that until we stopped.  The MGC had a GPS verified top speed of 130 mph (and more, as it was still pulling when I ran out of road) devil

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jkIkIaUwnuSn0uW9JZrvHgcVJjgayEKCeEtF5PQR82fOllpTzqndA0tg6lk97Bf2