1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/21/15 3:37 p.m.

Are they considered a true classic yet? I passed a clean red one this morning--total "Sixteen Candles" cars.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
4/21/15 3:40 p.m.

I hope not. I still want another one, and I don't want the prices to start going up before I can get it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/21/15 3:40 p.m.

I like to keep it simple.

If i can put Classic license plates on it, it's a classic.

MX6 gets classic plates this year. Hell yes.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
4/21/15 3:56 p.m.

The 944 was always a beautiful car, a good performer, and an object of desire. They became cheap enough that a lot of them have been killed off. It is getting hard to find a nice one. The really nice ones are already being bought up by collectors.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
4/21/15 4:01 p.m.

I just took a look at my local Craigslist, and I'd say the prices are starting to creep up. Cars that were in the $3-4k range a few years ago now look to be in the $5-6k range. I doubt that a "regular" NA 944 will ever be worth big money, but the Turbos and S2s and the like will probably start fetching big bucks.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
4/21/15 5:04 p.m.

I concur that prices are creeping up for decent examples. That said, the most commonly seen standard NA 944 is still a relative bargain in my opinion and can be had for peanuts. Just a more peanuts than a couple years ago...

The more desirable cars, like the turbo and S2, never got quite as cheap and are relatively hard to find and much more expensive. I suspect the prices will be rising on those for sure. I'd love to have an S2 but they rarely come up for sale and seem to sell almost instantly when the do.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/21/15 7:47 p.m.

I've had a couple of 944s, an '86 Turbo and '89 NA. Personally I think they're great cars, the turbo in particular. Maybe a bit maintenance intensive, but still, I'd have another one without hesitating. And yes, I do believe they are starting on the classic upward swing. Remember when 914's were worthless, well, 944's may be the next Porsche in line...but hopefully not before I buy another one!

BillBall
BillBall New Reader
4/22/15 5:39 a.m.

Fun cars. They made a total of 163,000 944s of various types. Although you only see a sprinkle at various PCA club events, it is still going to be a long time before they become rare enough to be valuable, if ever. Obviously the more desirable models already have significant value in mint condition. But the 944 will be an affordable and accessible "classic" for quite awhile, thank goodness. I want a nice red s2 coupe also :)

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
4/22/15 7:33 a.m.

I've seriously considered getting one but my TR8 is rarer and a lot less complicated to work on.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
4/22/15 7:43 a.m.

I'd say so, especially considering the Turbo and S models.

ToplesS2
ToplesS2 New Reader
4/22/15 3:33 p.m.

I hope so.

Certainly don't see many anymore, at least not around here. Guess I'm one of those children of the 80's who was finally able to drive the car that was on my bedroom poster as a kid.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/22/15 4:09 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: I've seriously considered getting one but my TR8 is rarer and a lot less complicated to work on.

Not to hijack the thread, but a TR8 is a bucket list car for me. I test drove a couple back in the early '80's, a carb model and then an injected version. Of course I couldn't quite swing the money so I ended up with an '80 TR7 instead. I still want my TR8 though.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
4/22/15 9:25 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

Where are you located. I'm thinking of selling one of mine. Decided I don't need three of them.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/23/15 9:05 a.m.
ToplesS2 wrote: I hope so. Certainly don't see many anymore, at least not around here. Guess I'm one of those children of the 80's who was finally able to drive the car that was on my bedroom poster as a kid.

Nothing wrong with that. Says the guy who had a poster of a 911 hanging on his wall.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
4/23/15 10:30 a.m.

Many people including a lot of state license bureaus say 25 years of age makes a vehicle a classic. Tons of people have widely differing views.

At the risk of sounding like a government official, I'm not sure I can define what makes a classic but I know one when I see it. For example to me the XKE was a classic before the first one was ever sold and most vehicles will never be a classic regardless of their age or popularity.

BTW: I do think the 944 qualifies regardless of price.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/23/15 10:45 a.m.
TR8owner wrote: In reply to racerdave600: Where are you located. I'm thinking of selling one of mine. Decided I don't need three of them.

I'm in Huntsville, Alabama. Details?

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/23/15 10:47 a.m.

I remember when 944's came out. There was a pretty large waiting list to get one, and I know people that were paying to move up the list. Granted their performance isn't as impressive as it was in the '80's, but they are still a great looking and driving car.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
4/23/15 6:28 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

That's a long way from Canada. Plus the CDN cars never had A/C, which is something I'd suspect you'd want in your neck of the woods.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/23/15 6:31 p.m.

It does get a bit hot here!

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/24/15 8:54 a.m.

There is a local, last year Cabriolet for sale thats not running right. I think they are still high, but it made me think a little.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
4/24/15 3:09 p.m.

Take the plunge! It's got nitrogen filled tires.

For Sale: 944

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
4/24/15 4:12 p.m.

Non-running and badly faded paint, but Challenge priced: http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4931607152.html

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
4/25/15 8:15 a.m.

Just picked up a Red 87 "S2" with 93k miles at an auction in middle America for pennies. Body and Interior were mint, wheels were mint.

I say it in quotes, because the vin description said S2. If it's a regular 8v, I'd still be happy with the price. Should get here in about 10 days.

Can't wait.

ToplesS2
ToplesS2 New Reader
4/25/15 9:34 a.m.

If it's an 87 it's probably an S - still 16v but 2.5L and standard 944 bodywork. S2 production was 89-91 and used the Turbo front end with the 3.0L. Nice score if it's an S.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
4/26/15 8:20 p.m.

I absolutely love mine. Although not yet fully adopted by the Porsche purists, the 944 is a classic by any other definition. Absolutely one of the best handling cars ever made, and the turbo cars are pure magic. The 8V NA cars are a bit too underpowered to ever be truly desirable cars, but the Turbos and 16V cars are rising quickly on the value scale and the desirability scale.

A great car and my favourite Porsche. 911's are super cool but I love going around corners as fast as humanly possible and the 944 is nearly unbeatable in that category. Putting a supercharger on it has made mine perfect.

Having been at the huge Porsche swap meet in Hershey PA last weekend made me realise the 944 is the only value left in the Porsche world,unless you're a sadist that hates money and want an older 928. Buy a 944 now while they're still attainable because very soon if you buy one you're going to have to park it and drive your 996 instead.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P3HyoipnuV55Kj7K6viF2hVsBufRp74P7bn00wrao2CgCcMcSOrdWECZchjJbXb5