Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/18/19 1:29 p.m.
feature_image

We decided early on that we were not going to build this engine ourselves. While not wildly complicated, building a Coventry Climax race engine is perhaps a bit trickier than redoing an MGB or TR6 street engine.

We knew right away who should build this engine. We have known and trusted Ted Wenz an…

Read the rest of the story

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
12/18/19 2:24 p.m.

Also, the FWA used a distributor instead of a magneto, and an oil filter mounting boss was cast into the block, whereas the FW ran without an oil filter.

The statement about the oil filter boss is incorrect.  The FWA blocks never had an oil filter boss, instead the lines from the oil pump go through the block with suitable fittings and used a remote filter (the block is stamped "in" and "out").  The FWB blocks (and FWE) had a filter housing cast into it, and are typically machined to use a filter, though most people end up plumbing in a remote filter.  And, as it was local to me for a while, one of the first FWB blocks lacked the oil filter casting, it too had the remote set up (was in the only Lotus 17 that raced with the FWB motor in period, but I don't recall if it was entered in an FIA sanctioned event).  I had to make up a set of fittings for the conveted pump in my car:

And in regards to converting the pump motor, it can be done, and has been done, but does require a bunch of money and parts thrown at it.  

BBGun
BBGun New Reader
12/23/19 10:35 a.m.

The pic of that cam carrier on the red shop towels triggered memories of Marilyn Monroe's calendar with her lying on red velvet. I'm concerned sometimes about how my mind works.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/23/19 10:51 a.m.

It  must be difficult (and expensive) to source Climax parts these days.

One guy who had a small sports racer used a Rally Imp engine (998 cc) which is also Climax designed and looks right but they are probably pretty scarce now as well.  70 bhp stock but up to 100 or so when race tuned.

Just tell them that your car ran Le Mans for the Index of Performance!

Victoracing
Victoracing None
1/7/20 7:29 a.m.

Simply a typo in the Bojalad engine photo caption.  Joey's car is 60/01.

Your car is 60/13.

Gary,  elleva.net

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BAyuXlZKX2KTjZWh2HfM1CDJ3DC4nMFYvn8s6pxOVbQ4qMgRetI0YMaIEvOLCTee