1 2
maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
7/12/13 10:15 p.m.

There are many things that Puzzle me. Currenbtly one such thing automotively is: "Why do so many convertible owners drive with the top up on a really nice, "convertible" day?"

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
7/12/13 10:38 p.m.

I have similar thoughts but more like "Why do so many convertible owners drive with the top up when it isn't pouring rain?"

Anytime it isn't raining too hard I have the top down.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
7/13/13 6:03 a.m.

For me, right now the overly complicated German power top mechanism is stuck. I'll deal with it once I get the truck fixed.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/13/13 6:44 a.m.

On a somewhat similar note (really doesn't pertain to most classic cars) why did American manufacturers/car dealers put "carriage roofs" or simulated convertible tops on cars when they didn't go down?

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
7/13/13 7:53 a.m.

Getting back to the original question... It depends on your definition of a "nice convertible day".

95F, July, noon under a cloudless sky... That would be some people's definition. Not mine. My Scotch/Irish genes would have my skin bursting into flames from any prolonged exposure to this. The alternative, greasing up with an entire tube of sun lotion, is only slightly less unpleasant.

That same day, the ice cream run after dinner... Perfect!

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
7/15/13 10:24 a.m.

Yeah, but even on a nice day say 75-80 some clouds manual convertible like a Miata or a new BMW/Porsche where he top should be working when I am driving it seems like maybe half still have their tops up. Why get a convertible then?........just curious?

Another puzzling thing is why do so many people need to hit their brakes when they are going up hill?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/15/13 11:36 a.m.

I, too, wonder this question. Of course I'm the guy in the Stormy Kromer hat driving my Miata with the top down when it's in the high 30°s low 40°s. As long as the salt has been washed away, that is.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
7/15/13 12:01 p.m.

It's a hassle to drive-time ratio.

The average convertible takes a few minutes to put the top up and down. Plus most owners who have had a mechanized top have experience some sort of glitch that turned the event into a nightmare. This creates the mindset that the top only has a finite number of uses and that perhaps it is best to ration them.

In order for a convertible to be fully appreciated, it has to be spontaneous. The only one I know that fits this bill is the early Miata where you can raise and lower the top one-handed in a matter of seconds.

The other thing to consider is that a lot of people who buy convertibles quickly discover that they are not "Convertible people". The wind in the hair and fresh (HOT) air are not so pleasant when you arrive at work all sweaty and looking like a tornado victim. You get a lot of grit in your make-up also should you be of the make-up wearing persuasion.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
7/15/13 12:30 p.m.

Pffft. Fiat Spider, Alfa Spider, Miata all with great easy to use tops. If the other automatic ones don't work reliably why isn't it written about? I am totally in agreement in that a lot of people buy convertibles with soem romantic image and find out the reality doesn't match with whats in their head. Then again there are wind blockers, (many new cars come so equipped) and other new inventions such as hats, scarves, even roll up side curtains,....'er windows. I am starting to think it's like people who buy sports cars with automatic transmissions, (other than track day junkies), they want to drive a sports car...but they don't really want to "Drive" a sports car.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/15/13 12:44 p.m.

I've put the top up in Miata going 25-30 mph before.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/16/13 9:16 a.m.

Automatics with Tachs.?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
7/16/13 9:21 a.m.
maseratiguy wrote: Pffft. Fiat Spider, Alfa Spider, Miata all with great easy to use tops. If the other automatic ones don't work reliably why isn't it written about?

It is, but usually only on enthusiast forms once the cars have gotten old enough to become unreliable.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
7/17/13 9:23 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Automatics with Tachs.?

Yeah, Automatics with Tachs are quite puzzling. It is the "ooooh, it has a tach" on the showroom floor and never used again. I was driving home yesterday top down in my Alfa spider, it was maybe 80 and almsot dusk, (no chance of sunburn0 and there I see a BMW Z4 witht he top up? Hey , to each their own, but it puzzles me.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy New Reader
7/17/13 9:27 a.m.

@ NOHOME said, "The other thing to consider is that a lot of people who buy convertibles quickly discover that they are not "Convertible people". The wind in the hair and fresh (HOT) air are not so pleasant when you arrive at work all sweaty and looking like a tornado victim. You get a lot of grit in your make-up also should you be of the make-up wearing persuasion." ..This is probably the closest answer to my puzzlement. Maybe the reality doesn't always fit the image?

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
7/17/13 3:36 p.m.

I drive a Miata. My reasons for not having the top down:

+It is too hot (85-90 depending on humidity and time of day/where I'm going what I'm wearing)
+It is too loud (construction and or high speeds)
+I forgot sunscreen
+I forgot to take my hockey sticks out of the car, and they prevent the top from going down
+There is a bug infestation going on (Mayflies around the great lakes)
+My girlfriend is in the car, and she can't put up with the cold like I can
+It is too cold and the vinyl might crack (I've put the top down in freezing temps before--just gotta do it in the garage before you leave, and leave it down all day)

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/21/13 5:48 p.m.

When I had a convert for a couple years the top stayed down all the time. I got caught in the rain a couple times and found a gas station to "fill up" at for a couple hours before hitting the road again.

Otoh; my wife hated it so that was the only time the roof went up.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
7/23/13 2:32 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Automatics with Tachs.?

manual valve body

stanger_missle
stanger_missle Reader
7/27/13 10:29 a.m.

I miss having a convertible. There are people who are "convertible people" and those who are not. As was said before, I think some people buy them as a gimmick but it wears off. I wasn't sure if I would like having a convertible but after a few dusk cruises with the top down, I was sold. If it wasn't snowing or raining, the top was down. After owning the car for nearly 4 years, I discovered the A/C stopped working but never noticed because I never used it.

When I moved to Florida 3 years ago, I discovered that despite the crazy humidity and torrential rains, this place is a convertible mecca. I'd say that 2/3rds of the year is perfect weather to drop the top. However, I noticed that despite almost ideal conditions, 90% of people never put the top down. Then I noticed that most people driving convertibles were driving $60k-$120k cars. Porches, Audis, Astons, you name it. And what is even more funny is that, more often than not, the driver has a cell phone glued to their head. I guess it's hard to talk on a phone with the top down

TL;DR - People buy convertibles as a status symbol but are too dumb/lazy to drop the top.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/31/13 9:44 a.m.
stanger_missle wrote: TL;DR - People buy convertibles as a status symbol but are too dumb/lazy to drop the top.

This thread reminds me of a friend who couldn't convince his 18 year old son to get his driver's license. His son explained he wouldn't get a license because his Mom & Dad only had stick shift cars at home. And of course he only has two hands.

If you use one hand for the steering wheel and one hand for your phone, you don't have the 3rd hand needed to shift gears. So rather than put down his phone, the son just depends on his parents and others for transportation!! I KID YOU NOT!!

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
8/3/13 4:55 p.m.

Sparky would be one walking son of a gun!

Leo

wspohn
wspohn Reader
8/5/13 4:06 p.m.

I finally sold my Jensen Interceptor convertible when I realized I hadn't put the top down for about 4 years.

All our cars are GT cars now except for one MGC, which rarely sees the top down (or in that case, off and stowed in the boot). Too hot and for those who are tonsorially compromised. too much of a pain to try and keep a hat on with the top off.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
8/5/13 7:07 p.m.

Leo,

The last I knew he hasn't driven yet! Of course who can blame him his choices at home are limited two (2) E-46 BMWS, a P-1800 Volvo, & a good running Miata. I suppose he really wants a slush-box front dragger with Blue-touth.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
8/7/13 2:08 p.m.

My 2 year old daughter is already trying to reach for the stick in the Morgan (I sneak her to Grandmas house in it).

In reflection, Im proud to say we have no FWD vehicles in our fleet. Even the push mower is 4WD LOL.

And my thought is if Jane wants to date, she is going to take the Morgan...I don't have to worry about her boyfriends driving it, and if she is going to be naughty, shes going to be really uncomfortably naughty. Mom concurs with this. LOL

Leo

Rupert
Rupert Reader
8/7/13 3:26 p.m.
Leo Basile wrote: My 2 year old daughter is already trying to reach for the stick in the Morgan (I sneak her to Grandmas house in it).

Great for her!

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
8/20/13 1:40 a.m.

what about the people that have the top down, windows up, and AC cranked?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w9K2qSgpzT4tb1AKpfAvuCViOkoQJBvVgBsxmu7K2aLz8HRCGxuZjZUGHo8huIvR