Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher Emeritus
5/22/24 8:34 a.m.

In the Southeast, and perhaps all over the world, the Tail of the Dragon is considered legend: 318 curves packed into just 11 miles. No driveways, no cross streets, no stop signs. 

While truly worth the trip, all the fame has dampened the experience a tad. With all this popularity comes traff…

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/22/24 8:57 a.m.

Marking these on the map for future reference...

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/22/24 1:48 p.m.

60, SR 180, and 129 in North GA are all great and underrated. We like them that way because the Dragon is too crowded on weekends. 

Joyce Kilmer on the hill climb route is fantastic and a nice view at the top.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
5/22/24 2:07 p.m.

As I have done at least some part of all those roads, and all of several, I can agree you can definitely enjoy yourself more there than putting up with the overrated "Dragon" ( and I hate cutsie poo names for roads).

The only caveat I would have is Fall season, where all roads in that area are clogged with leaf lookers and their land yachts, but you can still find sparsely traveled roads that will delight you.

29_SpeedSix
29_SpeedSix New Reader
5/22/24 8:49 p.m.

Another route in the same area is Warwonan Rd from Clayton, GA to Walhalla, SC. With a name like "Warwonan", it HAS to be good!

Sparkie
Sparkie New Reader
5/23/24 2:18 a.m.

Backroads of Appalachia has an awesome, free, downloadable app that has tons of great routes in VA, WV, KY, & TN! Great app, with great people doing great things for the whole Appalachian region! :) 

https://backroadsofappalachia.org

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d3kX2CmSMiA6z5QZcj4t8oSiybk7KtT073y7zdHt39xrFdGo1SDx1BzyETUPksQm