Zachary Mayne
Zachary Mayne
7/5/22 12:38 p.m.

British car enthusiasts must be masochists. It’s amazing what they’ll suffer through thanks to their affection for certain old machines that hail from England. Wire wheels that might at any moment slip free from the hub and roll off down the road, cancerous rust that eats large holes in…

Read the rest of the story

Crossworth
Crossworth New Reader
7/6/22 12:00 p.m.

Wonderful article. I luv the color, the flares, uprated engine, I luv everything about it, except it is not in my garage - LoL.  How I wish could do more wrenching but family, "this old house" and a recently acquired working dog is zapping my 50+ year old chassis.  Perhaps someday someone may offer one for sale, naturally timing is everything.  As luck would have it, I have a '71 Capri that is collecting dust. Now I need a MGB and lotsa time. 

Thank you, Bill Guzman, for not giving up on your masterpiece.

Thank you Tim Suddard and David Wallace for your phenomenal magazine that I will forever subscribe too, even if subscription rates surpass a $100+. To me its the best auto magazine bar none. I would simply cancel other subscription to continue yours. 

Steve in Nor Cal

Crossworth1 @ g m a i l

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/7/22 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Crossworth :

Thanks for the kind words. I ahve driven a lot of MGB's incuding supercharged and V8 cars. They rock!

Nred
Nred New Reader
10/25/22 12:08 p.m.

I think the only aspect of Bill's MGB GT restoration and upgrade that doesn't have a direct connection with my family's car history is the Peugeot brake rotors.

If I could combine all the various bits and pieces from those older cars into one, I think it would have to be a Bill Guzman MG V6 conversion. It looks fantastic! The Mercury V6 was a great engine for a new-to-the road 17 years old driving a '73 Capri. 

Fuel and Brit electrics often don't play well together. I remember one night driving with my mother to bring a gas can (empty) to my father. The mostly full fuel tank dropped out of his MGB while he was driving it. It may have been the MGB's self-defense mechanism kicking in?

Being British (insert tightwad euphamism here), he wanted to save the fuel left in the tank!  That's when he bought the Capri, so all good.

I second everything Crossworth said! (And envy that he has a Capri collecting dust, I still want another,...)

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
1/17/23 11:19 a.m.

Just an FYi on anyone thinking about such a swap. Source the V6 from an early 80's Ford Ranger as it's a better engine and easier to find in the junk yards. The T5 trans swap is also a nice addition to the MGB.  I did the same swap to my friends '74 V6 Capri.  A bell from a 2000's Mustang with the 4.0L V6 give you the same option as the Mustang II V6 (1974-1979) bell but you either have to convert the car to hydro clutch or fabricate a cable set up. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XxD28xYOvQhPe2IzgxnaHjcWBILi9P8BINuqWbN9VilheDeuwpEXmlP4KZEEj2ZK