Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/9/24 11:12 a.m.
feature_image

Many of our favorite six-cylinder engines align the cylinders in a neat little row–the likes of BMW, Toyota and Jaguar come to mind–but what about the V6?

While Alfa Romeo’s Busso V6 is the stuff of legends and the Honda NSX, Lanica Stratos and Jaguar XJ220 put the world on notic…

Read the rest of the story

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
1/10/24 9:31 a.m.

My first car, a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim had a V6. While certainly not a sexy car, it did have plenty of pep for its step, for what it was, and was incredibly dependable (and also came from Mitsubishi).

The NASCAR Xfinity Series once permitted V6s as well. A dirt oval-track racer put one of those into his race car and it had a higher pitched note. It was fast, though, especially at shorter tracks.

The current Acura IMSA GTP car has a V6 - and it won the Rolex 24 last year. It's tough to argue against that.

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
1/10/24 11:14 a.m.

I have worked with the GM pushrod V6 in two cars with success, though it isn't the best design in the automotive world.

The other V6 I really like is the one used in the first gen NSX - a 4 cam 3 liter VTEC V6 with 290 bhp.  500+ bhp was easily attainable with a turbo kit. And the fact that the engines came in a great looking high performance car was a pretty convincing argument.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
1/10/24 11:31 a.m.

This probably comes as no surprise, but the VG variant in my Z32 300ZX TT just gives me the giggles when I mash the go pedal. Pulls like a freight train, sounds so great, pretty much bullet-proof.  A close second is the one in my Audi SQ5, that thing is a beast.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/10/24 12:40 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

My first car, a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim had a V6. While certainly not a sexy car, it did have plenty of pep for its step, for what it was, and was incredibly dependable (and also came from Mitsubishi).

That reminds me of the few times I got to drive the company van when we had one, a Ford Transit. That Eco Boost V6 could really get that van moving if you didn't have anything in the back. Also: Turbo noises coming from a van.

Never did get a chance to add obnoxiously loud blow-off valves...

markvince
markvince New Reader
1/10/24 1:45 p.m.

I would like to mention a couple of V6 here that for me right up there with any other V6.

1. Alfa Romeo's 690T
  2. Ferrari's Dino
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/12/24 3:24 p.m.

You know, I don’t think I have ever owned a V6: flat-six and inline-six, yes, but not V6? Hmmmmm....

David S. Wallens
1/12/24 3:27 p.m.

Wait, growing up we had several V6-powered Maximas, including my mom’s 4DSC (IYKYK). Yeah, good, punchy engine. 

Favorite V6 that I have driven? How about the 4.3L in the third-gen Camaro. Just memorable in that it felt like a baby 8 (because it kinda was). 

NSX has to be near the top of the list, too. 

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
1/14/24 12:39 p.m.

This one looks pretty good VR38DETT – Nissan GT-R 

R53oldog
R53oldog
1/14/24 1:19 p.m.

Have owned numerous V6's ( all GMs).  My favorite was in my 2001 Buck Regal GS.  Factory equipped 3800 Series with an Eaton blower. Gave 275k of reliable service and embarrassed more than its share of "sportier" rides.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/14/24 4:12 p.m.

Corrado VR6. Just for Wookie noises.

David S. Wallens
1/18/24 8:07 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

Corrado VR6. Just for Wookie noises.

Nice. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/19/24 7:15 a.m.

The Alfa V6 used in the Milano, GTV6 and 164 is probably my favorite.  But aside from that, I actually prefer a straight six.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wXMJlHvcurt7vxC1FOrUtyr7WdU9UcPIwhTVfdc0FXMwDRCiXchHOpj8MrRlICFF