1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
10/15/08 9:27 p.m.

There appears to be no demand for my REPU either,but that shouldn't be a reason why not to buy a car,right?

I really like this particular 76 RX-4 in CO,but it needs paint,and it is so far away I can't look at it myself. I have had one person look at it for me,but I am still nervous to fly out there and buy a car for $4500.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/22/08 9:49 p.m.

So, buy anything yet? And it seems like odd stuff is always out there. Tom, our production editor, just found a '71 Toyota Crown right here in town. It's like an old school Japanese taxi cab.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
10/23/08 7:58 p.m.

I am still interested in the RX-5 Cosmo that I found in VA,but I am not sure I want to spend the $5k the seller wants for it even though it is very clean. It has a maroon interior as well,and I am not a huge fan of that color. I have also found a 73 RX-2 sedan in NY that I hope to look at this weekend. It needs to be put back together trim wise,but it appears to be all there,and pretty much original aside from the paint. It is an automatic,and a 4-door which aren't my first choice,but I really want a ,ostly stock vehicle,and that seems hard to find in the Mazda world.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/23/08 9:38 p.m.

JG, our art director, once had an RX-5 Cosmo. It was a neat car.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
10/23/08 10:19 p.m.

If you want a semi-classic sedan for the gang, a VW Fox might be neat. Not too expensive, parts are pretty easy to get and they are different. Look on:

~The Samba~

Or, how about a Volvo 144 or 142 (or similar 240 series)? Kinda neat, not too pricey and durable. A Volvo 122S would be even better (to my eyes), but they're getting harder to find. Check out:

~The Brickboard~

Or a SAAB 96 or 99? (again, getting harder to find). ~SAAB Forum~

The Isuzu Impulse with the Lotus suspension was a nice car, if you looking for Japansese.

Datsun 510 is a great car, if you can find one.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
10/24/08 5:59 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not a fan of VW's,and I think the Fox is FWD anyway,right?

I have looked into old Volvo's,and I do like the two door wagons of the 70's lookswise,but I know little to nothing about them.

I like the SAAB that GRM is doing a series on,but again I believe they are FWD,right. Still cool,but I know little to nothing about them as well.

The Isuzu Impulse is a great choice,and a friend of mine had one many years ago,but it seems to me he had trouble finding the transfer case,and shocks for the car,but I could be wrong.

I really like 70's/early 80's Japanese styling,and that is what I have been mostly looking at. There is a cool 76 Mazda RX-4 coupe for sale in CO,but it is so far away it is hard for me to make a desicion to fly out there,and buy it. I have had one person look at it for me,and he said it was a solid car needing minor details,and paint,but I am not sure I can go on one persons say so.

There is also the RX-5 that is close enogh to me that I could drive,or fly down,and get it back in a day,but again I mentioned I am concerned it isn't the exact model I want even though I do really like it due to its uniqueness,and the fact that it appears to be real clean. Plus $5000 for an odd car like that seems high to me considering my REPU is a bit cooler,and I have had no bites at my $5000 asking price.

I have only seen maybe 6 pics of the RX-2 sedan in NY,but maybe this weekend I will see it in person,and then I can have another car think of.

I relly like the 510's/610's/710's I have seen on ebay,and such,and also a few old school Toyota's,but I know nothing about them,so I have been a bit reluctant to do anything with them. I know Mazda's,so that is what I have been focusing on. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Chris

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
10/24/08 6:32 a.m.

No problem. I'm not a huge VW fan either. And yes, the Fox is fwd.

One thing I forgot...how about a Mitsubishi Starion or it's twin, the Dodge Conquest? Old school Japanese styling (sort of) and rear wheel drive (independent in rear like the 510) or even one of the early rwd Celicas (1st or second generation...they look very different from each other)? Or a rwd Toyota Supra?

1988 Starion

1st gen, rwd Celica

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/24/08 10:21 a.m.

Your love of the truck comes through loud and clear. A whole lot of us keep totally impractical 2 seater sports cars as toys. There's no rule that says your toy can't have a bed in back. So, keep the truck as a fun toy and have something else that's family practical.

Fairness to you kids shouldn't enter into the picture the way you're looking at it. A 2 year old has zero interest in a car. And you don't know which one, if either, will really be interested in the vehicle at the age of 10 and up. So you've got a 6 year old who loves it. Relish that and enjoy it, right now. If he loves going for rides in it, go riding. Right now.

Personally, I've got a ratty old yellow Spitfire sitting in front of my place for no other reason than my son likes it. He likes riding in the blue one more, but the yellow one is the original one in his eyes.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
10/24/08 10:26 a.m.

Found your car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/datsun-510-bluebird-12a-rotary_W0QQitemZ170272877036QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6188QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
10/24/08 10:47 a.m.

Saw that one. Pics are not very clear,or detailed. It seem like a nice car,but who knows how/if is was hacked up. I wish I had someone close by to look at it. What is a bluebird by the way? Is it just a decal package,or was it some sort of performance package?

I would love to keep the truck,but the thing is when I want to go out in one of my classics I can't do it if my wife isn't around because I can't take both of the kids with me legally. I think the two year old will be more into the cars than my 6 year old,but so far both seem to like the truck.

Chris

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
10/24/08 10:51 a.m.

I'm in the same boat Chris and I'm on a tighter budget! I'm saving my nickels and selling parts I don't need to help fund the project.

ggarrard
ggarrard New Reader
10/24/08 11:50 a.m.

Chris - "Bluebird" was the Japanese version of the 510...The Datsun performance package was/is the "SSS" cylinder head etc. Original 510s came with a 1600cc single ohc with about 96 hp (I think).

The EBay 510 could be very quick with the 12a.

GWGarrard

docsaab
docsaab New Reader
10/28/08 4:16 p.m.

hey you want a way cool cheap very practical wagon. I own one of the rarest coolest wagons ever made a 1962 corvair monza wagon! check out www.stationwagon.com go to gallery scroll to corvair . check it out . mine was 1800 bucks with a recently rebuilt engine but kind of tatty. also check out www.corvair.org If I could figure out how to upload pictures i would use mine for my avatar.only made these cars for 2 yrs 61-62 rear cargo area plus locking front trunk lots of utility .If kids fight i put one in the trunk,HA HA regards jeff A

dougie
dougie New Reader
10/28/08 7:47 p.m.

I say the Datsun 260Z, although the 240Z is really the one to collect. I was able to sell my wife on the idea of a sports car 15+ years ago when I purchased a '65 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III. I installed <a href="ESCRIVA_65_BJ8<a href="http:// seats and we had a lot of wonderful times. Still have the car, which was a great "investment" too.

Dougie

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nNTbMNdNP0BfJ6gm88XokxmEqbdf4GhECiOG7tJECC6fiZuYWqM2DwVaG1aiEfpn