1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
11/11/14 1:08 p.m.

Looking through all these Shop Contest entries made me feel guilty, so just for sport I decided to take a whack at cleaning and organizing my (exceedingly small) garage. My dad helped, and while we were at it we added a sink, too.

My question is: What would you do differently with this space? The Trooper has to park in it every night and budget is limited.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/11/14 1:13 p.m.

Drill press
Bangin' stereo
Stripper pole
Computer that isn't white

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
11/11/14 1:14 p.m.

More space

RossD
RossD PowerDork
11/11/14 1:15 p.m.

I just bought the same sink but I framed with 2x4s and have an old reclaimed countertop next to it. That way you don't have the legs wasting floor space and you can still slide stuff underneath it.

It's on the far right in this photo:

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
11/11/14 1:22 p.m.

moar beer signs

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/11/14 1:23 p.m.
RossD wrote: I just bought the same sink but I framed with 2x4s and have an old reclaimed countertop next to it. That way you don't have the legs wasting floor space and you can still slide stuff underneath it. It's on the far right in this photo:

You also have a Miata in your garage. That's something else he's missing.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
11/11/14 1:32 p.m.

Even more lighting.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/11/14 1:46 p.m.

More light, less Trooper, more Grand Vitara more motorcycle.

Tom Suddard
11/11/14 1:48 p.m.

I've actually got a little drill press–far bottom left of the second photo. And my yellow radio bumps, thank-you-very-much.

Lighting is definitely something I need. I picked up a few 2' fluorescent fixtures at Lowes the other day. $13 a piece on clearance. I think I'll put them under the cabinets, and move the 12" light that's over my workbench to the cabinet over my sink.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/11/14 2:35 p.m.

I'd probably throw a GFCI in the outlet over the sink.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/12/14 9:01 a.m.

Air Compressor
Duct Tape
Steelers Posters

Tom Suddard
11/12/14 9:22 a.m.

Done
Done
NO!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/12/14 10:27 a.m.

Welder, press, another bay

EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
11/12/14 11:05 a.m.
RossD wrote: I just bought the same sink but I framed with 2x4s and have an old reclaimed countertop next to it. That way you don't have the legs wasting floor space and you can still slide stuff underneath it. It's on the far right in this photo:

You stole my Miata!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
11/12/14 12:27 p.m.

I can't really tell from your pics.... but it doesn't look like you utilize the top 1- 2 feet of your walls... LOTS of storage space above areas....

2x4 lag bolted to wall studs, 16" wide piece of plywood as long as needed, hooks in ceiling joists, lengths of chain Mount one edge of the 16" width to the 2x4 stud, and then just chain and hooks to support the outer edge

Tom Suddard
11/14/14 10:39 a.m.

Hmm, good point. I have stuff squirreled away up there, but could use more storage.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man New Reader
11/14/14 2:48 p.m.

Overhead storage. No garage is truly complete without this awesome product.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/14/14 2:58 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Done Done NO!

Aw, you don't have any? I can send you some, no charge buddy.

The one thing that I will never have a shop without:

kylini
kylini Reader
11/14/14 3:32 p.m.

Pull out table space. Fold down seats for when you just have to sit down after wrenching under a car. I'm assuming there's pumice hand soap for the sink. Replace the cabinet doors with bungie cords?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/14/14 3:42 p.m.

What's that lever on the left end of your bench, some kind of quick vise or clamp?

boeingpilot
boeingpilot New Reader
11/18/14 7:05 p.m.

Ha! I have that same cheap white cabinet mounted over that same same cheap white sink, stuffed in the same corner at the same angle!

...and a stripper pole.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/18/14 7:12 p.m.
Woody wrote: What's that lever on the left end of your bench, some kind of quick vise or clamp?

Yes.

That's a woodworker's bench, and a flush woodworker's vise (including the dogs in the tabletop- there us a flip up piece in the vise that clamps large pieces on the table surface)

I have a similar bench and vise (though mine are a lot older).

I use that vise a LOT more than the machinists vise. The handle turns a 1/4 turn, an locks down. 1/4 turn the other way, and it slides out. Fantastic (but not too good for welding, because of the wood jaws and proximatey to the table surface)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/18/14 7:13 p.m.

Stripper pole in the shop ???

What the heck kind of girls do you date?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/18/14 7:26 p.m.

Signs of having been used? Dirt? Scars? Empty beer cans?

How about a fire extinguisher and a wired-in smoke alarm since it appears to be an attached garage. I hate my garage for this reason. Sparks fly... you never know when they will smoulder in the wood just under the cabinet full of combustibles. Nevermind there are cars with race fuel sitting in them just under my bedroom.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/18/14 7:30 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Stripper pole in the shop ??? What the heck kind of girls do you date?

Strippers, why do you ask?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3vxiXHArzjERds778GHEUWRUa6UooRk8v7gqUComu89D38wCvzGwC9tdKNDYagRN