1 2
NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/11/13 11:49 a.m.

Seriously, and at the risk of being banned: Before the re-design, this was a steady forum that to appealed to people like me with a broad, non-marque specific interest in classic cars.

The site was redesigned some time ago and the traffic seems to have come to a dead stop; days go by without a post. I figured it would trickle back after people got used to the new format. Ain't happened and can't see it happening.

I see a lot of old timers that used to post here are still on the GRM board. Is it a case that the one board satisfies the need? Are the GRMers lurking here but just posting on the GRM board?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
1/11/13 1:09 p.m.

I noticed this as well. I check the board about every other day, and post about every other visit, assuming that I had something intelligent to say.

With that said, my visits have decreased as well. After thinking about this for a bit, its apparently due to lack of compelling topics. I don't really care about auctions and "whats my car worth" type of stuff.

It seems that a lot of fun chatter was generated by the multi-choice survey question of the week. They have seemed to wither away.

Leo

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/11/13 3:09 p.m.

I also notice that while the readers project car section has returned to the GRM board, it is still absent here.

I find that build threads tend to generate a lot of chatter also.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/11/13 8:15 p.m.

Yeah, we're not happy about the lack of chatter.

We have been making some changes to the site and adding more content. Our numbers are way up, in fact.

We just have to figure out how to get everyone talking.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
1/12/13 7:31 a.m.

I guess I can chime in.

1. It is winter so most of us are either sleeping, digging out from another snow fall or in the garage working.

2. I think to few things have "slipped" recently.

3. Unresolved technical issues with the forum (people's rides are still MIA)
  4. Spam on the forum. After a while the novelty wears off.
  5. Lack of drive from the content creators. Simply relying on us to chat among ourselves can only go so far.

6. Personally I found the sale of a certain car hard to deal with and frankly have little to no interest in the current fleet of cars. The whole build it and sell it thing seems to happen way to fast. I understand the reasoning but I just felt empty when I saw the BMW go so soon after it was done.

7. I also think other "social media" places are consuming people's time and interest.

So I don't know. Myself I'm working away on the GT6 (new interior kit), the FIAT race car (new engine), upgrading the garage (heating, insulation and electrical) and going to Daytona later this month for the 24hr race (driving 5000km) but I've not been compelled to share any of this with CMS.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
1/12/13 10:18 a.m.

We are slamming in the garage weather here is perfect .

The triumph gt 6 should never have left the building .

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/12/13 2:22 p.m.

Everybody is over at GRM. I'm not sure why, though.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/12/13 2:56 p.m.

Methinks Joey has the right answer. There is no lack of interest for Classic Cars from the GRM crow, however, since they are all over there anyways, why bother posting stuff here?

For example, I stoped posting my Brittish car projects here when I realized that I could get 10 relies to my question on the GRM forum, while the request for help on this board would echo to an empty audience.

And while it is petty, having to log in AGAIN to in order to post on this forum is a minor dis-incentive.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/13/13 1:37 a.m.

I don't know how possible it is to do this, but I suspect that the threads here would get a lot of traffic if they showed up in
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/latest-topics/

Also, this forum is not as good for posting/hotlinking pictures as the GRM forum.....the empty right takes up a lot of space that could be devoted to our text and pictures.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
1/13/13 1:43 a.m.

Andre,

If you travel up I79, let me know when you pass Morgantown WV and Ill buy you lunch or something...At least a jar of moonshine!

Leo

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/13/13 7:33 a.m.

Hire Joey...he seems to have a line on this again.

Not sure why the two boards are not more integrated in look and function. In my mind I always thought the magazines should become one big publication and same with the websites.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
1/13/13 8:16 a.m.

Deal Leo email me andre@gt6.ca And we can exchange info.

Looks like your only 6-7 hrs into our trip.

Leo Basile wrote: Andre, If you travel up I79, let me know when you pass Morgantown WV and Ill buy you lunch or something...At least a jar of moonshine! Leo
Rupert
Rupert Reader
1/13/13 2:14 p.m.
Leo Basile wrote: Andre, If you travel up I79, let me know when you pass Morgantown WV and Ill buy you lunch or something...At least a jar of moonshine! Leo

Hey Leo,

Does that offer also apply to an old Juggie? I may be up that way heading towards Carlisle this spring.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
1/13/13 5:29 p.m.

Rupert,

If you go to Carlisle, for sure...Cause we usually go as well!

Ill let you drive a real sports car!

Leo

PS, The invite is open to anybody.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
1/14/13 12:29 a.m.

I think the answer is partially covered above. The detail not specifically covered is that while the content breakdown between the GRM and CM magazines is fairly clear, the GRM forums are more than happy to discuss items which are probably closer to CM in content, and you're much more likely to get a lively response to a post over there, even if it's a topic which probably fits CM better...

Here's a thought for the GRM/CM folks as an aid in promoting traffic here: When you see something on the GRM forums which would fit over here, create a thread here pointing to it, and post in the GRM thread pointing to the CM thread. If and when there is enough activity on CM to wrest away the mantle of the place to go for classic info, perhaps people will post here first, or at least post in both places and link across, which as an interim step may boost CM forum traffic...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
1/14/13 1:46 p.m.

I've been lurking and haven't had many threads to reply to. I suppose I could go start one about an issue with my truck that's been nagging me. It's about the right age for this forum, I guess...

Rupert
Rupert Reader
1/14/13 2:08 p.m.
Leo Basile wrote: Rupert, If you go to Carlisle, for sure...Cause we usually go as well! Ill let you drive a real sports car! Leo PS, The invite is open to anybody.

And I'll be happy to return the favor and let you drive a real sports car as well!

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
1/14/13 4:04 p.m.

Rupert, I really cant wait to meet you at some point.

If we do manage to cross paths at Carlisle, I got a buddy that you will love. Hes an airline captain, with a hell'uva sense of humor.

Leo

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/16/13 7:36 a.m.

There is simply much more involvement on the GRM forum, IMHO, combine them.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
1/21/13 10:19 a.m.

Well... I see the CMS forums have been bundled with the rest of the GRM forums.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
1/21/13 10:51 a.m.

I am happy about this. I have a more convenient way to post!

Before, it was "out of sight, out of mind."

I hope the classic guys don't get too mad about "us" being here...

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/21/13 10:58 a.m.

I shall now be spending even MORE time on this site...

RossD
RossD UberDork
1/21/13 11:00 a.m.

Do we have to warn all the old guys with pacemakers about the good god almighty thread?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/21/13 11:49 a.m.

I'm liking the new 'combined with GRM' layout. CM's a great mag, but frankly I think the readership was probably not as much into online forums etc as the GRM crowd. This should stir some cross traffic!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
1/21/13 11:49 a.m.

Busier than ever! (my first CM post)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DVLvCigSUQG729yaYhv8KMiXgk0NbEwzTwbFDgbDPkGV9bU113UlACVuuPOhWNx9