former520
former520 Reader
2/23/15 9:34 p.m.

Has anyone gone out to one of these events? On is coming up outside Phoenix next month and I was considering spectating, can't stay long enough due to kids obligations to consider running. It seems to draw a pretty good selection of exotics and highly modified gear. Any experiences?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/23/15 9:45 p.m.

It'd be easier to care if it didn't seem like those 1/2 mile airstrip races were mostly full of 1%-er wannabes driving themselves back into the middle class by spending ludicrous money to get their auto-penis to grow to a 1/2 mile quicker than the other guy's.

I mean, racing is cool on some level in any form, but when i watch all those youtube vids (and theres a lot of them these days) the only part i want in it is to be the guy getting paid to build the car. I dont even think i want to be the owners.

I get less uncomfortable watching all those midwest street-racing vids where what seems like more white people than i see in an average week in San Antonio are gathered next to a corn field racing corn-fueled mulletmobiles.

/snark

Id go if someone went with me.

bgkast
bgkast UltraDork
2/23/15 11:07 p.m.

I like watching people blow their money growing their 1/2 mile auto penis! The more money the better. You know what they say about making a small fortune in auto racing.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/24/15 7:24 a.m.

Yeah with a rolling start, it even eliminates the skill needed for a good launch, and gives the guy who mashes the gas first a huge advantage.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/24/15 7:59 a.m.

I kinda want to take the V to one just for the hell of it. Something to try. I think building a car specifically for it is semi dumb, but people build mud drag trucks, so whatever, to each their own.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/24/15 9:10 a.m.

This exists. All of your arguments are irrelevant.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/24/15 9:23 a.m.

I would love to take my bike. Need to find out if there are any going on in TN or nearby. Could care less what people think about compensating or whatever.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 10:05 a.m.

I've heard of them, its basically a longer drag race but for Bob Costas so its from a roll. FWIW, these guys are usually the big power street racers(for some reason roll racing is their thing)

Will
Will SuperDork
2/24/15 10:17 a.m.

I'd try it. Why not? It doesn't seem any sillier than racing in a parking lot...which also typically has a rolling start.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/24/15 12:22 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I've heard of them, its basically a longer drag race but for Bob Costas so its from a roll. FWIW, these guys are usually the big power street racers(for some reason roll racing is their thing)

The only thing a street racer loves more than an environment full of potential excuses is a spending competition...and roll racing is pretty close to a pure spending competition.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 1:02 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Yep, its also why the only people I got along with at the local "Street Car Takeover" were the Land Speed Racing guys. A couple UGR Lambos and AMS AlphaOmega GTR's were owned by some cool as berkeley people. All the LSx owners were complete tool bags. I plan on making it down this year as well....but will be staying away from the chaos.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
2/24/15 1:11 p.m.

i like fast stuff even if I'll never be able to afford it. if it were me i would go check it out at least once

nboyles85737
nboyles85737 New Reader
2/25/15 11:20 p.m.

do you plan on going? i have an excuse to go to phoenix anyways. itd be cool to see this as well.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/25/15 11:37 p.m.

Gratuitous displays of huge horsepower compensating for small hootuses (hooti?)? Sounds like fun. I'd watch.

Hell, i'd love to take the mx6 to one, but i'd have to gear longer. I hear you don't get much street cred for losing because you banged the E36 M3 out of the limiter.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/25/15 11:40 p.m.

I'm with Cotton. Bring the bike.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/26/15 4:52 a.m.

I would be concerned about Danger to Manifold.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N2zFF9UVZdPs0K1R9w9QUtzNloY3uP4rFt99HwpDUPnVywBByB48q1sGGF9TrnQV