chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
8/19/08 8:36 p.m.

I'm kinda scrwewed when it comes to wheel selections on my '98 Hundai Accent. Right now it has captive rotors which are going very soon but I'm still limited by my 4x114.3mm bolt pattern. I'd love to convert to 4x100 but I won't go there... Any ideas for lightweight fwd 14" wheel applications that may be able to be redrilled to my bolt pattern? I love the old VW and Honda designs, I'm assuming they're fairly light. Thoughts, inputs, accusations?

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
8/19/08 9:20 p.m.

Newer 4 lug Nissans are mostly 4x114.3. Also check 90s era 4 lug Accords.

Looks like stock offset is about +42, so no room for a spacer with off the shelf wheels.

impulsive
impulsive New Reader
8/19/08 10:23 p.m.

do you have to have 14"?

my Excel is 114.3 pattern and craptive rotors, been rolling on 15x7 Rota Slipstreams with no issues. cheap and light and they fit.

if you want 14" OEs then for starters look at other earlier Hyundai, Mitsu and the Chrysler imports.

www.wheelcollision.com/cta.htm

chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
8/19/08 10:30 p.m.

I'd rather have 14" for the lighter weight vs. 15's but if I have to move up 2" I will. I just figured there'd be somewhat of a decent choice in 14"...

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/20/08 11:18 a.m.

You can easily find 15" wheels lighter than your stock 14"s.

Accord, and the aforementioned Nissan's are 4x114. There should be a glut on craigslist because all the 240sx drifters are running that bolt pattern. You'll have to deal with a lot of 0-offset wheels.

Craigslist is your friend here.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/20/08 9:54 p.m.

I looked on a few tire/wheel websites for a wheel alternative for this car (you must have, also) and the ONLY wheel I found was on TireRack, a 14'' wheel that they only had 3 of in stock. There must be something really wild about the backspacing on this car's front suspension, or the center hole is a weird size.

I vaguely seem to remember, before the GRM website upgrade, that someone had a question about "hopping up" Accents and getting Korean Domestic Market parts for them. I don't remember the websites mentioned, but I'll bet if you search the archives...carefully, you find it. For such an oddball car, KDM parts may be the only way to go. Unless, there is a Canadian supplier that would have something, as Canada was marketting the Hyundai brand for years before it came to the U.S. Canada got/gets? models (like the old RWD Pony) that the U.S. never got.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/20/08 10:03 p.m.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=GD3404S&wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=D3&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Hyundai&autoModel=Accent&autoYear=1998&autoModClar=&filterSize=All&filterFinish=All&filterSpecial=false&filterBrand=All&filterNew=All&sort=Brand

tire rack, FWIW

ww
ww Dork
8/21/08 12:48 a.m.

Figure out what size and off-set you need and then go here and pick your style!

46 wheels, 18 different styles, 15" wheels in 4 widths and 8 different off-sets.

http://www.rotawheels.com/wheelsearch.asp

impulsive
impulsive New Reader
8/21/08 7:02 a.m.

no guarantee all the Rotas will fit because of the rotor/hub bolts

look at the fairly large gaps between the bolt holes on the Slips, whatever other style rims are like that probably fit. if they are solid, then unless you can take a look or see pics from behind the rim face it's a gamble if there are reliefs to clear the bolts.

trucke
trucke New Reader
8/21/08 7:29 a.m.

Toyota RWD's are 4x114.3 Look for early Supra wheels or Celica wheels.

chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
8/21/08 10:42 a.m.

Thanks everybody. I kinda wanted to move UP to the 14's for looks and weight, I'm trying for kind of an OEM look/JDM style. Cost is a big factor because I'd like to do the GRM challenge, possibly in '10 now.
I'd rather stay away from the 0 offset rwd wheels because I don't want to deal with spacers, if that were the deal then I could just get adapters and run whatever. Thanks for the other ideas. I think there's few option available because of the captive rotors but like I said they're going bye-bye very soon.

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
8/21/08 11:43 a.m.

IMO 14'' wheels are not worth spending money on unless they are for race tires for a stock class autocross car. Other than Azenis and the hankook competitor, there arent any really decent tires available in 14'' sizes anymore. Even good 15'' tires are decreasing rapidly.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 New Reader
8/21/08 3:51 p.m.

The Earliest Celica and Supra factory alloys are 13", slightly later they went to 14x5.5, with the 14x7 "Supras" (also came on some Celicas) as a popular wheel even later. Corollas also came with 13x5.5, 14x5.5, and 14x6 in a couple different patterns. The luxury Supras in '85 came with a 15x6 +21mm, but they are scarce as hen's teeth.

Offsets on these vary from +28mm or +27mm on the skinny ones to +8 on the 7" wide ones. I am guessing that the FWD Hyundai is probably more like high thirties or low 40s for offset, to the RWD Toyota wheels should be OK for clearance on the inside, but might rub the fender pretty badly on the outer face, and possibly also the wheelwell at full lock. Spacers would only make this problem worse, so I usually recommend them when trying to use FWD wheels on a RWD vehicle, but not the reverse.

Here's a good guide to 4x114.3 wheel options:

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/wheelchart.htm

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
8/21/08 7:50 p.m.
MGAMGB wrote: The wheels on the brown MGB are vintage Toyota...Celica maybe. Anyway, 14", 4x114.3 (4.5") as are the stock wheels on the blue one.

Nice collection there.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/22/08 4:11 a.m.

Hey chknhk....hope you are still checking this as I have good news and bad news for you.

While looking through some old car books, I discovered that the Accent had a model, starting in '97 called the GT. The GT uses/used a 14'' alloy wheel. The bad news? I can't imagine this was a huge seller for Hyundai, but you might be able to locate a set of these GT wheels online at one of these internet used car parts websites. I'm guessing E-Bay won't have them.

All this assumes the brake rotors on the Accent GT are he same as those on your car.

Just looked on E-bay....and found a company that listed the wheel for a late '90s Accent GT. Price is $79.95 plus $25 shipping. You might want to shop around some as that means over $400 for 4 BEFORE you get your tires mounted.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar Reader
8/22/08 1:23 p.m.
MGAMGB wrote: The wheels on the brown MGB are vintage Toyota...Celica maybe. Anyway, 14", 4x114.3 (4.5") as are the stock wheels on the blue one.

I'm 93.7% sure those are TE72 Corolla factory alloys.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
8/23/08 3:04 p.m.

I've got 240Z wheels on my B but the offset would be wrong for FWD

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/23/08 3:32 p.m.
MiatarPowar wrote:
I'm 93.7% sure those are TE72 Corolla factory alloys.

MK1 Celica Supra wheels:

Damn, they look right at home on that MG, though. Way to think outside of the box. Brilliant.

chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
8/27/08 3:35 p.m.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll be sure to post some pics of what I go with as soon as I get everything set.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5YlqA8dkpyljt3msBd7qsBNOMdOSFTBf1z2dLoLQi5diCfe0aHmDU0yAFYZATxom