Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
4/20/14 8:45 p.m.

I've been working away from home for the past month. First I was in Baton Rouge and rented a practically new Fusion with the 2.0 Ecoboost. I've rented just about every FWD car in Hertz's lineup and have been completely underwhelmed by all of them. That was until this one. It's quick. Not super super quick but it felt about the same as my old '94 Formula Firebird LT1. It's been several years since I drove that F-Car so my mind could be playing tricks but let's just say it was way quicker than anything I've ever rented from Hertz.

Fast forward a few days and I had to fly out to Denver. I got to the counter and asked specifically for an Ecoboosted Fusion. The lady shook her head and had me lined up for a Charger? when one popped up on her screen at the last second. I got one! This one had a lot more wear and tear on it than the one in Louisiana. It didn't look near as nice but it had the two most important things - dual exhausts and the Ecoboost badge. My understanding is that the dual pipes mean it's a 2.0 and not the 1.5. This one was heavily scratched (even the windshield ) and I guess well broken in because it ran and drove even better than the previous one. What got me though is the fact that I was never lower than 5000' my whole time out there. My girl came out last weekend and we took it up Pikes Peak. This thing was almost as punchy at 14000' as it was at sea level. I could spin the tires coming up the hair pins near the top. If you've ever been up this mountain you'll know that most cars feel like dogs at this elevation.

This is probably the only rental I've ever had that I would consider buying. I've never been a Ford guy but I have to say that is seems that here lately they've gotten their $hit together.

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
4/21/14 8:35 a.m.

Good review! How was the mileage?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/21/14 9:03 a.m.

and the scramble for 2.0L ecoboosts Fusion begins...

T- 12 monthes till the 6 speed swap kit comes out LOL

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/21/14 9:35 a.m.

2.0L I-4 ECOBOOST ENGINE KIT from Ford Motorsport

Complete engine assembly, but the most significant part is a little statement at the end of the description.

252 Horsepower @ 5,500 RPM
270 lb. ft. of torque @ 3,000 RPM
All-aluminum construction - about 55 pounds lighter than a comparable naturally aspirated V6 engine
9.3:1 compression ratio - Premium fuel recommended
Ti-VCT Strategy Employs twin independent variable camshaft timing for optimized fuel economy, performance and emissions Borg-Warner Turbocharger with low-inertia rotor spins at speeds up to 195,000 rpm, producing up to 16 psi of boost
Optimized design ensures that maximum torque is achieved at very low engine revs Peak torque available from 2,000 to 4,500 rpm
Direct-Injection high-pressure fuel system
Seven jets on each injector spray fuel directly into the combustion chamber
Engine design has been optimized for maximum operating efficiency, with a focus on minimizing friction and other parasitic losses
Low-friction coatings on the piston rings and highly polished surfaces on the tappets
Engine Kit Includes:
Starter
Alternator
Front accessory drive and belt
Intercooler and air intake ducting
Air Cleaner Assembly
Manual Transmission flexplate/flywheel

yupididit
yupididit New Reader
4/21/14 9:48 a.m.

My wife has a 2013 black with MyFord Touch and all the snazz, it's black with black interior. Best mpg's I've gotten was about 39mpg when we drove from VA to CA. Avg about 30mpg mixed if you're not a flogger. I'm fairly impressed with the car but that 5x108 is NOT whats happening.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
4/21/14 10:42 a.m.

Not direct relevant, but a couple weeks ago some guy completely smoked me off the line in a Fusion Hybrid. I was in the Accent, so it's not exactly like I had a chance anyway, but that thing just took off! No wheelspin, no drama...though it sounded like a jet. 8)

trucke
trucke Reader
4/21/14 10:53 a.m.

Wow! Power at the top of Pikes Peak! That is impressive! I had my FX16 up there about 20 years ago. Could only manage 35 mph at the top in second gear with the accelerator to the floor.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/21/14 12:51 p.m.

In reply to yupididit:

The wheel thing will get better with time, the focus st people will be going nutters for wheel options.

My mom bought a '14 Titanium package with the 2L ecoboost. It gets decent milage and it does get up and go(much better than I was expecting) Also, the 19" split 5 wheels look epic on them.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
4/21/14 3:15 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: Good review! How was the mileage?

To be honest, I wanted to know but didn't want to spend the time with the manual figuring out how to reset the trip meters. It wasn't obvious. It would have all been moot anyhow as I really was unable to keep my foot out of it.

Someone posted about the low end torque. Yeah. It really doesn't need to gear down climbing hills unless you floor it. It was fun going up the canyon road from Boulder to Nederland. 5th and 6th gear for most all of it. That little 4 banger torques like my old C3 Vette with a swapped in '65 396 -- no joke.

getfast
getfast Reader
4/21/14 10:48 p.m.

It's a gem of an engine in the FoST. Mine put down 242/280 SAE on the nearest Dynojet bone stock with 1000 miles on it. So it's under-rated.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
4/22/14 6:00 a.m.
trucke wrote: Wow! Power at the top of Pikes Peak! That is impressive! I had my FX16 up there about 20 years ago. Could only manage 35 mph at the top in second gear with the accelerator to the floor.

It sounds like the engine is pretty detuned at sea level, and the engine controls are probably torque demand/airmass per cycle based, so when you ask for 250 ft-lb then you will get it even if you are at 14,000'.

I bet a reflash can get oodles more power at sea level.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/22/14 9:11 a.m.

Do we know if this will bolt up to the 2.3 Duratec/MZR rear wheel transmissions in the Ranger/Miata? I suppose it doesn't really matter since most of us would have a hell of a time trying to control the thing since MS3 doesn't do Direct Injection, or does it?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/25/14 7:38 p.m.

I just came in here to make a troll comment, that the 3.6 Charger is actually faster than the 2.0T Fusion at sea level. But, up in Colorado? Probably not.

Still, turbo torque is where it's at. I recently drove a 1.6T Fusion and was somewhat impressed by that. It wasn't fast but it was 'amazingly adequate' considering it's a 1.6L in a fairly big car.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/25/14 8:16 p.m.
RossD wrote: Do we know if this will bolt up to the 2.3 Duratec/MZR rear wheel transmissions in the Ranger/Miata? I suppose it doesn't really matter since most of us would have a hell of a time trying to control the thing since MS3 doesn't do Direct Injection, or does it?

What about just plugging/welding up the direct nozzle holes and weld in some bungs for regular injection?

sergio
sergio Reader
4/27/14 6:17 a.m.
RossD wrote: Do we know if this will bolt up to the 2.3 Duratec/MZR rear wheel transmissions in the Ranger/Miata? I suppose it doesn't really matter since most of us would have a hell of a time trying to control the thing since MS3 doesn't do Direct Injection, or does it?

MS3 is Direct Injection

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/27/14 6:25 a.m.
getfast wrote: It's a gem of an engine in the FoST. Mine put down 242/280 SAE on the nearest Dynojet bone stock with 1000 miles on it. So it's under-rated.

I'd love to see someone do a dyno chart of the car in each gear. I'm aware that's not how things are done, but I still suspect an excess of electronic shenanigans in the lower gears for these cars after driving a FiestaST.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
4/27/14 10:16 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: What about just plugging/welding up the direct nozzle holes and weld in some bungs for regular injection?

Without direct injection, it's just an engine. The DI is where the magic happens.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
4/27/14 10:23 a.m.

More air into the motor without that pesky fuel slowing it down....

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
4/27/14 10:47 a.m.

More compression, boost, and timing without that pesky homogenous fuel mixture allowing the end-gases to detonate.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/27/14 10:52 a.m.
sergio wrote: MS3 is Direct Injection

He is talking MegaSquirt, not MazdaSpeed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2nMUGNDpDorfz3UQpwCodtRrcUCa5X7RmbihBSIuO0gesIqo4quHOZAcxdegFT4i