ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
10/3/23 9:06 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-WerLwAgq4c?si=65zZu_HLmPXGpGVf

In a large field of highly competitive modern sports cars, is the E46 BMW M3 still a great choice for a track car?

We took one to our official test track, the Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park, to find out.

Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/3/23 9:22 a.m.

And a question for the audience: Do we like these data-driven track tests of older cars?

David S. Wallens
10/3/23 9:23 a.m.

And I don’t think it made the final cut, but I remember JG saying something like if I wasn’t there, he could have found another half a second. :) 

David S. Wallens
10/3/23 1:44 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Yup.

An x:xx.xx lap time doesn’t mean much until you add the benchmark. More like this to come. 

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven Reader
10/6/23 11:17 a.m.

i'm obsessed with measuring (i.e. objectively) things.

Lord Kelvin:

please feel free to measure and publish anything you can!

BA5
BA5 HalfDork
3/11/24 11:11 a.m.

I love the track data traces.  It's facinating to see where and how the time difference it made up.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels Reader
3/11/24 1:31 p.m.

I think if i was buying another car to play with, the Hyundai might get a chance - bet its as fun as the bmw and the consumables would be less expensive and with the lap times that close, driver technique would be more the deciding factor than any real performance differences in the cars, but I am guessing the bmw has more performance left untapped and available than the hyundai. Any thoughts?

David S. Wallens
3/12/24 11:15 a.m.

Hmmm, which one to actually buy and live with? I’d love to hear which you all would choose. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/12/24 12:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And a question for the audience: Do we like these data-driven track tests of older cars?

yes.  yes we do.

David S. Wallens
3/12/24 1:18 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Then we will have to make more. 

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
3/12/24 1:38 p.m.

Yeah, I think this is pretty cool. I like looking at Lightning Lap times to get an idea of relative performance. Then I start thinking about how tires have come a long way in the last 20 years.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
3/17/24 11:36 a.m.

Yes please keep making data on older cars.

Love to see how an FD holds up these days, especially with the faster lighter later special models being import legal :)

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
3/18/24 8:48 p.m.

The E46 M3 is still a front-running platform in BMW CCA Club Racing.

LukeGT
LukeGT New Reader
3/18/24 9:02 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The E46 M3 will always be one of my absolute favorite cars of all time. I'd for sure have that, such a classic. 

David S. Wallens
3/19/24 9:13 a.m.

In reply to LukeGT :

It has aged well, hasn’t it? Is it one of the last classic BMW designs? (And does the E9x get that designation as well?) Even though the E46 is fairly modern, no touch screens, no iDrive. The grille sits rather straight up.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
3/19/24 10:51 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to LukeGT :

It has aged well, hasn’t it? Is it one of the last classic BMW designs? (And does the E9x get that designation as well?) Even though the E46 is fairly modern, no touch screens, no iDrive. The grille sits rather straight up.

I believe its also a matter of having somewhat reasonable curb weight, everything has gotten so heavy. E46m3 weighs >150 lbs less than a modern M2. Crazy how 3800lbs is now the modern sports car weight bar it seems. 

David S. Wallens
3/19/24 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

I’d agree. It’s the right size, the right weight. Pretty much the right everything. 

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
3/20/24 9:22 a.m.

I think with the E46 M3, you're really buying into the near 2.5 decade body of knowledge that exists around these cars, particularly for track-oriented driving/racing. This was definitely true of the E36 M3, and while I don't have the E46 ownership experience, I've talked with enough owners to realize that they enjoy that knowledge base too.

Stick someone in an E36 M3 or an E46 M3 on track, and they will become a better driver. In my experience, they really are that good for driver development

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
3/20/24 10:35 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

And when you get to the point of roll bar, fixed seats, interior removal and other weight reductions, they become seriously fast. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/20/24 12:17 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

And when you get to the point of roll bar, fixed seats, interior removal and other weight reductions, they become seriously fast. 

There is a LOT of weight to take out of an E46.  I didn't weigh my car beforehand, but I suspect it fell into the typical range of 3400-3500.  After conversion, with cage, it's under 2700.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sf8ppp06lxlZfBEmjwEEs1OLGNio8PKLfuRig1KBFDvwA9CDwLcvHW6uyAi4W0xA