David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/14/24 12:26 p.m.
feature_image

Entrant: MG Car Club Florida

Event years: 2003

Budget spent: $1625.00

The $2000 Challenge welcomes all kinds of machines, from oversized American land yachts to the ever-popular Little British Car. Twenty years ago, Bill Vandal and MG Car Club Florida entered an MGB from 1980, the model’…

Read the rest of the story

Spitsix
Spitsix HalfDork
2/14/24 9:22 p.m.

Planning on Returning this year!

Dragonbreath
Dragonbreath New Reader
2/14/24 10:26 p.m.

Putting an MGB in a drag race is not what these cars were designed or intended for.

If you refer to the race results of the 1966 Sebring 12-Hour event you will see that a lowly MGB beat the stuffing out of a 911 Porsche, Jag XKE ... even a 427 Cobra (!!!)...

https://www.racingsportscars.com/results/Sebring-1966-03-26.html

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/15/24 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Dragonbreath :

MGs just need a little help for the 2000 Challenge....

T$2010 Challenge - 440 HP MGB with 350 Chevy engine. | Flickr

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Dork
2/15/24 10:03 a.m.

Would love to see a classics class at the event someday, but no clue how it would work.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
2/15/24 10:48 a.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

to what end?  Classics have won the event many times? 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/15/24 12:41 p.m.
nocones said:

What about a gentleman class? Pre 1990 (yes, excluding Miata specifically, fight me), must be RWD (yes excluding econo-hot-hatches, fight me), no engine swaps, no tow vehicles. 

Leather helmets and goggles strongly encouraged. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/15/24 12:46 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

Would love to see a classics class at the event someday, but no clue how it would work.

There used to be an award for "Highest Finishing Classic Car".  But how do you define "classic" within the context of GRM $2000 Challenge, where body swaps and suspension swaps and powertrain swaps are the norm?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/15/24 1:07 p.m.

We used to use “originally fitted with chrome bumpers or a recognized continuation model of such” as a definition of a classic at the $2000 Challenge but, um, yeah, we know you all too well now. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Dork
2/15/24 1:16 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
nocones said:

What about a gentleman class? Pre 1990 (yes, excluding Miata specifically, fight me), must be RWD (yes excluding econo-hot-hatches, fight me), no engine swaps, no tow vehicles. 

Leather helmets and goggles strongly encouraged. 

I like that.

I think pre-1990 and must be carb'd w/original engine block of same vintage would be neat...but possibly combustible.

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
2/16/24 7:57 a.m.

Loved the opening quote! Reminded me of a reader who sent a letter to the editor of Hot Rod Magazine saying he had a 350-4bbl Firebird that would do 145mph in the quarter-mile. The editor's response? "The only way you're going to get a 350-4bbl Firebird to go 145 is to drop it out of an airplane."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RqEO0PE5ynohM3KusyRG8vuEITY7wCmM0KHEDyfAxFffzYWob4ZZ0TY9U3oPm64X