amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
6/10/18 4:28 p.m.

Prices on the 2007+ Tundras with higher mileage and/or blemishes are starting to look attractive for use as a race car tow vehicle.  I'll mostly be towing a Miata (other junk) on an open trailer.  I've been trying find info on their problem areas but haven't had much luck.  Unless they are that reliable that they aren't breaking enough for people to post about it on forums - which is good. :)

Figured I'd check in with the hive to see what y'all say about these trucks.  The 5.7 has plenty of power an the 6 speed auto is nice.

Ride height is higher than I'd like which makes is a bit of a pain to get stuff in/out of the bed.  Wonder if you can safely lower these w/o giving up too much towing capacity.

Feedback?

Thanks!

Cactus
Cactus Reader
6/10/18 4:35 p.m.

You could tow a Miata on an open trailer with a minivan, I think the truck will do fine. 

I'm not sure because I've never owned one, but aren't Toyotas prone to frame rust?

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
6/10/18 4:51 p.m.

They are the most reliable half ton truck you can buy from that time period onward. The engines are well known to hit 300-400k. I think there were some early non engine teething issues but in general very good trucks. Another bonus is that their two sizes of crew cab make the "extended" cab truck actually usable while the "crew max" is just massive

wake74
wake74 New Reader
6/10/18 5:34 p.m.

I just picked up a 2007 with the 4.7, with plans to use it tow the E36 track rat on an open trailer.  At least here in NC, finding a clean one with less than 100k for reasonable money was tough.  I ended up with the double cab verses the crew max.  I have had average size adults back there already with-out issue for short trips.  The 4.7 is good for over 8k in towing, and the 5.7 is rated for over 10k.  I've read the biggest issue with both is tongue weight.

The only negative is the resale value if you are purchasing.  Great if you are selling.

If it can tow the space shuttle, it should handle your needs or mine just fine (yes, I know it was a sales stunt.....)

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/10/18 5:38 p.m.

It is a Toyota.

/ Thread

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
6/10/18 8:44 p.m.
Cactus said:

I'm not sure because I've never owned one, but aren't Toyotas prone to frame rust?

It's the earlier Tacoma-based ones that had rusting issues. The recent Tundras are very tough, and can tow a lot of weight comfortably. The upper trim levels are surprisingly comfortable and quiet too. I remember getting into a friend's, and thinking it was like looking out the window of a 2nd story apartment.

I'd be driving one around now if it wasn't for the insanely high resale prices for used models. They don't depreciate at all.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/11/18 8:28 a.m.

My dad has a 2008 with the 5.7 that he bought new. The biggest problem he's had with it just cropped up recently: the bearings in the rear end are starting to go. He has just over 100k on it. It's a job you apparently need special Toyota tools to do. Other than that, it's been a solid truck, and it has a nice tow/haul setting on the transmission that lets you control the shifts with the column shift via a button. 

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
6/11/18 8:53 a.m.

Always had Ford trucks until I got stranded once - decided to give Toyota a try given their reliability reputation. I bought a used, one year old Tundra with about 30k miles. Five passenger, 5.7 l and short bed. Second best truck I have had for towing (usually 5-6k lbs) - enough power, stable handling and comfortable. Mine came with 4wd which I didn't want but oh well. I would like to lower it but would rather spend the dollars on other stuff. Only gripe is their choice of interior plastic surfaces - scratch too easy given their use in a truck. Without a load, I get 18-20 mpg on the highway but 13 or so around town. Yup - I would buy another.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YN8UNEN6zCC51fPbDiVBcnb0KMl90TIoJSooXThGPe4qo99zraJO3G13vJB2aqyj