1 2 3
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/3/08 6:03 p.m.

As some of you may recall, SDRev is willing to add a special $2009 class to the Grand Challenge, with all three events run a single weekend. The rules and format would match those of the Kumho Tires Grassroots Motorsports $200x Challenge, except the drag event will be run on the eighth mile.

If this sounds good to you, get your registration in now. For it to happen, at least 15 teams will need to register for the $2009 class by the end of 2008. If SDRev doesn’t get enough registrations, there will not be a one-weekend extravaganza.

West Coast Challengers, let’s see what you’ve got!

For more information, see SDGrandChallenge.com.

P71
P71 HalfDork
12/3/08 7:19 p.m.

How many are they up to?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/5/08 5:30 a.m.

I'm curious too. How many registrants do they have?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/5/08 6:27 a.m.

Not enough.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
12/5/08 1:44 p.m.

Unfortunately I'm likely out since I'm loosing my job at the end of the year and that means no paid vacation next year (assuming I can find a job) so that will make finding the funds to drive down, etc.

P71
P71 HalfDork
12/5/08 1:52 p.m.

You can always join up with a team. John and are trying to decide whether to enter as one team or two. We'd really rather just build 1 car (we've been working on it for a year and it's finally starting to come together) but if it takes us dragging down 2 cars from nearly Canada to San Diego...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/5/08 9:00 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Not enough.

Any?

DocHawk
DocHawk New Reader
12/6/08 8:40 a.m.

I've been mulling over the proper spin on this for a couple days. Rule #2 as a promoter is to let everyone know with unfailing certainty that your event is going to be the Biggest Thing Ever. I think Rule #1 is to actually have a good event. However, the handful of folks that have corresponded with me from the GRM community have seemed to appreciate my candor, so no use changing trains now.

We're puzzled right now by the $2009 class. We have corresponded with just about 30 teams who have expressed a solid desire to run in the $2009 class. About 10 of those teams even sent in some photos or descriptions of their intended entries, so I know they have at least made a measurable commitment to run. I also personally know of three teams that are actively and aggressively working on cars for the $2009 class.

Despite all that, we have only a handful of registrations for the class at this point. Meanwhile, the Grand Challenge class is going like gangbusters. I'm not sure if it is procrastination, fear of being first, or what, but only a small fraction of the teams that are interested have fully committed. We recognize that folks are also somewhat hand-tied by our inability to publish a firm event date, but we can't do anything until our AutoX venue (Qualcomm Stadium, home of the SD Chargers) posts their 2009 season parking lot availability. Football always trumps Autocross.

Please remember that your registration fee is refundable if we don't get enough regs to run.

Regards,

David Chong

SDRev.com

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
12/6/08 10:49 a.m.

Come on guys! Sign 'em up! I'm really looking forward to what you other-coasters can build.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/6/08 3:02 p.m.

David Chong rocks!

I appreciate people who shoot straight with me, and I would be registered if I was within 1000 miles.

Could it have anything to do with your rather early registration date? We are a bunch of procrastinators, and none of us can think about junkyard racing with Christmas approaching.

Per usually has to make exceptions for late registrants for 1/3 of the field, and that's with his deadline only being 30 days prior to the event.

DocHawk
DocHawk New Reader
12/7/08 9:56 a.m.

Could be. We'll do everything we can to delay pulling the plug, and hopefully we can get the venue dates published early enough to give anyone who may be on the fence a final decision. But, this is really prime building time, so if someone really wanted to come down and play, they'd probably be building right now...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/7/08 10:17 a.m.
DocHawk wrote: Could be. We'll do everything we can to delay pulling the plug, and hopefully we can get the venue dates published early enough to give anyone who may be on the fence a final decision. But, this is really prime building time, so if someone really wanted to come down and play, they'd probably be building right now...

Hahahahah-the last 24hrs before the event is the prime building time. Since I know the event isn't tomorrow I think you overestimate our proactivity.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya New Reader
12/8/08 9:14 a.m.

Wanted to enter, but with both school and work. I would be happy to help on a team, but could not field a vehicle of my own this year.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
12/8/08 7:42 p.m.

If anyone near Ventura wants a hand with wrenching or anything, I'll gladly help out. I'd love to be a part of a challenge team.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
12/8/08 9:14 p.m.

I submitted my entry!

Bryce

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya New Reader
12/13/08 1:15 p.m.

Oh, I am in the Phoenix area, if there is anyone out there I can help send me message, please!!

Dan G
Dan G Dork
12/14/08 10:38 a.m.

I can't register without a date. And that date can't be on or 1-2 weekends before this date:

THE BUTTONWILLOW HISTRIONICS (2009) Date: August 15-16, 2009 http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/events/

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat New Reader
12/15/08 10:07 p.m.

It might push a few of us procrastinators or fence watchers to sign-up if you put up the number of teams that have registered? I know I need to get off my but and do it.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
12/16/08 12:47 p.m.
Dan G wrote: I can't register without a date. And that date can't be on or 1-2 weekends before this date: THE BUTTONWILLOW HISTRIONICS (2009) Date: August 15-16, 2009 http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/events/

They've said it will be in June Dan, no worries about interfering with Buttonwillow. Unfortunately, that also means a couple months less prep time!

ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote: It might push a few of us procrastinators or fence watchers to sign-up if you put up the number of teams that have registered? I know I need to get off my but and do it.

If you know it's not enough, isn't that reason enough to stop procrastinating? I could understand procrastinating if you knew it was happening whether you signed up now or in three months, but as it is now it won't happen unless people stop procrastinating!

I'm 99% sure I'm going to drive my car down and skip trailering...seems like a perfect opportunity for a test and tune down the PCH!

Bryce

DocHawk
DocHawk New Reader
12/16/08 12:59 p.m.

Registrations are trickling in, guys - we might make it! If folks like ThunderCougarFalconGoat can get off their butts and commit, we can have ourselves a West Coast $2009 challenge.

The date will be nowhere near August, Dan, so you are safe. We have historically received our available dates for our Autocross venue in late January, so we will set the schedule at that time. If at all possible we will allow teams to register up to and past the official date announcement, but we really need more people to vote with their wallets in the next two weeks in order to demonstrate that it's worth jumping through the many hoops necessary to make a mega-weekend happen.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
12/16/08 1:32 p.m.

Okay, well I'll go ahead and send mine in. At the very least, it should keep some of the east coasters quiet (I know it won't just call it wishful thinking, like being able to afford the trip without a job, etc) Of course I won't have teammates, it will just be me, so I imagine I'll be pretty low on the finishing order.

Can we paypal the entry fee or would you have a check/M.O. snail-mailed to you?

Thanks, Stefan

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat New Reader
12/16/08 10:25 p.m.
DocHawk wrote: ... If folks like ThunderCougarFalconGoat can get off their butts ...

Well at least I'm now famous for something

David_Chong
David_Chong New Reader
12/17/08 12:35 a.m.

Stefan, the $2009 class only requires one participant, so flying solo is no problem.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat, I'll be looking for your registration in the mail.

Sorry I have made a few posts under my handle - I mean for them to come from this account. The DocHawk handle is for engaging in flame wars without people knowing who I... oh, damn.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
12/17/08 1:17 a.m.

Ahem: BUSTED!

Flying may not be a problem to you, but to me, it just means I have no one else to blame ;)

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
12/17/08 9:37 a.m.

Ha! I'm glad they're not just procrastinating for the East Coast Challenge...cripes..I thought they were just trying to drive me nuts.

Glad to hear things rolling along.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gQghBaK4KorCJUFfI9DOKF0t9nVAn6P0OxsS7NVsQVJNKGRLSybJySJbwzOelMae