David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/5/22 4:26 p.m.
feature_image

200tw tires have made a huge impact in autocross, track days and road racing, but what about using them for drag racing?

[Ultimate track tire guide | 200tw, 100tw, street-legal track and R-comps]

DOT-rated drag tires exist, but they usually carry a very low UTQG treadwear rating–finding a …

Read the rest of the story

stonebreaker
stonebreaker New Reader
5/6/22 2:35 p.m.

Yeah, I guess that's why I see so many narrow rear wheels at the drag strip...

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
5/6/22 5:20 p.m.
stonebreaker said:

Consider the height/width ratio. Look at a top fuel dragster and notice how tall the rear tires are compared to their width. And then look at an F1 car. Much shorter tires compared to width. 

te72
te72 Reader
5/7/22 6:21 p.m.

For a Tesla Plaid, I would think any modern 200tw autocross tire would be more than happy to help it launch like a scalded cat. AWD is quite the thing.

stonebreaker
stonebreaker New Reader
5/9/22 8:41 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:
stonebreaker said:

Consider the height/width ratio. Look at a top fuel dragster and notice how tall the rear tires are compared to their width. And then look at an F1 car. Much shorter tires compared to width. 

Right, that's why the F1 front tires, the ones handling steering, are so narrow compared to the rears, the ones handling ALL of the acceleration...

aw614
aw614 Reader
5/9/22 8:48 a.m.

Interesting about the Yoko being the choice, it does seem a lot of the drag racing/straightline guys in the Honda scene when they drive their cars on the street their tire of choice seems to be the Toyo R888R. A lot of the guys seem to love them, which compared to a lot of autocross and track guys I know locally are always seem to place the R888/R888 as "the Firestone Indy 500 for people who think is a faster tire"

trendsetter
trendsetter New Reader
5/9/22 9:01 a.m.

the R888R is what i see quite a bit as well but its a 100tw rating so not in the list of possibilities when talking 200tw.

i ended up ordering some Falken RT660s to try on the plaid.  ill post up how it goes.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/9/22 10:00 a.m.

I'll be curious about this.  If I make it to the challenge this year, one set of tires would be my preference.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/9/22 11:01 a.m.

At least FWD the r888 does pretty well even compared to a drag radial or bias DOT cheater like the M&H

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kX3XDzgD8JGiNA5HtJmBhtzDJKIgb5Iri0b2YnOmNxoPAFcH3zlsyztQ12OB2IjN