9 10 11 12 13
Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
5/9/11 12:10 p.m.

Correct. It is a roller, but I added manual steering, 91 4x4 8.8 rearend, 15 gal alum cell, battery in back, Aeromotive A1K fuel pump, etc....

C-list only has running or wrecked Rangers.

I don't want to claim $500 with all this stuff on it and labelled as cheating, even tho that is all I could get, if I sold it.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
5/9/11 1:51 p.m.

Count the rolling chassis by itself, then add the rest in at FMV. Ebay and junkyard price lists will be all you need to assign FMV.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/13/11 9:02 a.m.

Ok so I more then likely getting a Triumph Spitfire for free from a friend. What is the best way to figure out FMV?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
5/13/11 11:30 a.m.

Source a few ads from your area (or as close as you can, reasonably) that reflect the quality of your car, and average them out.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/14/11 2:45 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Ok so I more then likely getting a Triumph Spitfire for free from a friend. What is the best way to figure out FMV?

Would he have given it to anyone else? Buy it for $1.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
5/14/11 5:53 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Ok so I more then likely getting a Triumph Spitfire for free from a friend. What is the best way to figure out FMV?

Or would he have had to pay someone to haul it away?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/15/11 1:37 p.m.
SVreX wrote:

I don't know if he would have given it to anyone else. He is a Challenger though.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
5/22/11 2:03 p.m.

How would you guys go about valuing a used engine you built?

the engine in question is an 88 jeep 4.0L block that i built into a 4.7L stroker with a 92 H.O. head. All in it was probably around $2k in engine parts, custom and stock replacement combined. I built the engine when i was at school for a project and put it back into my old jeep over 7 years ago, then drove it for over 50,000 miles as my DD.

so basically it's a student built 50k mile old engine built with good parts. any ideas?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
5/22/11 3:08 p.m.

How much could you build the same motor for today? Find ads for the parts and use those to verify value for the motor.

Pat
Pat Reader
5/22/11 3:15 p.m.
WilberM3 wrote: How would you guys go about valuing a used engine you built? the engine in question is an 88 jeep 4.0L block that i built into a 4.7L stroker with a 92 H.O. head. All in it was probably around $2k in engine parts, custom and stock replacement combined. I built the engine when i was at school for a project and put it back into my old jeep over 7 years ago, then drove it for over 50,000 miles as my DD. so basically it's a student built 50k mile old engine built with good parts. any ideas?

You own a 50k mile, 7 year old motor. You didn't buy it or build it for the challenge. Figure what it is worth today in it's current form if you were to sell it, call it FMV.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/22/11 7:52 p.m.

The windshield rule. Does it have to be a a stock windshield?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 New Reader
5/22/11 10:55 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: The windshield rule. Does it have to be a a stock windshield?

From Rules: "Cars must be roadworthy, meaning basic street equipment must be present: functioning headlights, uncracked windshields, battery tie-down straps, working brake lights, working horn and DOT-approved tires."

Says nothing about it being OEM.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/23/11 9:13 a.m.

I just realized the Challenge starts on my birthday. All Right!

Two on the brake not being counted in the cost part. I know stock parts do not count but parts for a performance advantage do count. If I did a brake swap (Spitfire to GT6) would the parts to rebuild the GT6 brakes count or would it just be the purchase of the GT6 parts.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
5/23/11 9:28 a.m.

Just my $.02, but I think if you swap brakes then the whole purchase should count. There's other cars this could work on. A Festiva with Aspire brakes comes to mind. Essentially all you'd need is a pair of junk core calipers which probably costs nothing to begin with. The rebuild parts are what cost money and they wouldn't hit the budget. I think that it's bending the "there for safety" rule into something that gives an advantage.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 New Reader
5/23/11 11:09 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Two on the brake not being counted in the cost part. I know stock parts do not count but parts for a performance advantage do count. If I did a brake swap (Spitfire to GT6) would the parts to rebuild the GT6 brakes count or would it just be the purchase of the GT6 parts.

From the rules:

"F) Rubber or steel brake lines, master cylinders, rotors, drums, brake cylinders, calipers and brake pad linings may be replaced with new stock pieces. Original brake parts cannot be sold and then rebought to take advantage of this allowance. "

That's the only allowance for replacing brake parts for free. If it's not stock it has to go in the budget.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 New Reader
5/23/11 11:10 a.m.

Also, there is no sweeping "there for safety rule". The rules give a very specific list of safety items that can be used without inclusion in the budget.

The rules then go on to say that even the items on that list "...may only be used as intended for safety purposes and have no performance advantage".

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/24/11 11:29 p.m.

Does something like this count as a windshield?

cheechthechi
cheechthechi New Reader
5/25/11 7:52 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Yup. We used a Motorcycle one on ours.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/27/11 2:18 p.m.

Note: The event is sponsored by Kumho Tires. As a result, no car will be allowed on track or photographed with any competitive tire logos---

Per

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
5/27/11 2:28 p.m.

I guess it's back to the drawing board with my entry.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/27/11 2:58 p.m.

Yea, we were a bit lax on this and it became quite embarrassing when the winner last year had both Pirelli AND Hoosiers stickers on it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
6/2/11 11:44 a.m.

Didn't want to mess up the other thread anymore on this...

So i bought this car almost two years ago, and i've been daily driving it. Any maintenance done over the last 20k miles... budget hit or no? Obviously if the maintenance results in an upgrade, that goes against budget...

But just as an example out of thin air, say i lose a cam seal after a few thousand miles of driving it. Replacement goes against budget?

This came about from my transmission question. I was planning on bringing a spare just in case mine commits suicide at the drag strip, bearing in mind that it's fine now, was fine when i bought it, and will probably still be fine when i get to the challenge many thousands of miles of DD usage later. But Pat just informed me that if i have to do an overnight replacement, new trans goes into budget on top of everything else.

tb
tb Reader
6/2/11 11:53 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

The way I understand it is that everything that you put on the car (except fluids and specific safety exemptions) is supposed to count on the budget.

Time spent building and DD wear and tear are irrelevant. Maintenance IS performance... otherwise you couldn't actually show up to compete... So your hypothetical cam seal would definitely count as budget money spent on getting your car prepared for the challenge... ymmv

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
6/2/11 12:17 p.m.
tb wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: The way I understand it is that everything that you put on the car (except fluids and specific safety exemptions) is supposed to count on the budget. Time spent building and DD wear and tear are irrelevant. Maintenance IS performance... otherwise you couldn't actually show up to compete... So your hypothetical cam seal would definitely count as budget money spent on getting your car prepared for the challenge... ymmv

So i can't justify it as "putting the car back to the same shape it was in when the purchase was put towards budget?"

The powers that be let me replace my FMIC, BOV, piping, couplers, and clamps when it was all stolen off the car at no budget hit, but going with this logic, it should have hit budget.

Not really complaining yet. But when the next round of work goes through, i will not have budget left to replace any seals that might fail between then and now, so then routine maintenance would take me out of the competition before it even started.

I understand the rules, just sounds like they apply only to the competition and/or cars that are ONLY driven at the competition and not used as DDs.

tb
tb Reader
6/2/11 12:36 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Well, I am not an expert by any means and I admit to having a mental disability so perhaps I am just plain wrong...

It just seems to me that a broken (or missing) part is not equal to a working part on the open market... therefore a price differential must be accounted for.

I blew up 2 stock radiators last year in my daily driving before the challenge, but counted the stock(ish) replacement in my budget since it was not on the car when I bought it. When I broke or lost bolts working on things I counted the new replacement bolts in the budget since they were new parts for the car, added after I purchased the car... I can see selling off broken parts as scrap or rebuildable cores but I am not certain that breaking something would allow you to replace it with a working part for free...

perhaps this is why I think using a DD for a challenge car is akin to madness

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ews2UvAHdmOb7ztSDUo2YAYP7XwJc0Gz5j0KFYOR7xw1AQ2uAaV0Psn8bzpYdoOv