The appearance improvers go in the budget if on the vehicle during concourse

yamaha
yamaha Reader
6/22/11 6:51 p.m.

Thanks guys, so now im just waiting on window vs window net.....lol

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
6/23/11 12:21 a.m.

window nets OK, arm restraints required for topless cars.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
6/23/11 12:31 a.m.

ok cool, I'll prolly do detachable lexan with a cam lock just so I can actually secure the vehicle when I drive it around, and as long as they aren't on the car at the event, I don't get docked points or budget hit?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
6/23/11 12:36 a.m.

i'm really tired right now so i hope i get this right.

the only time your budget is hit for something that is NOT on the car as it competes in the Challenge is if it that something came as part of the car purchase and you removed it without actually selling it. ie you can not claim recoup unless you actually sell the part.

there is no docking of points AFAIK. you're either under budget and within the rules or you get to run for exhibition and can't win any of the regular Challenge awards.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
6/23/11 8:34 a.m.

I think in this case the removeable lexan window would NOT hit the budget as long as you don't use it in any area of the competition. I look at it this way; the window is necessary for transportation of the car. Other Challengers have driven their cars to the event on a set of tires that were not used in either event and their budget wasn't hit for the road tires.

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
6/23/11 2:57 p.m.

Considering my truck and trailer don't hit the budget, his window or street tires shouldnt either as long as none of those parts are onthe car during racing or concourse judging.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/1/11 10:07 a.m.

Ok so I was told that if the fire wall is modified, a full cage is required and that if the floor pans had to be replaced, they had to be done with stock ones (ie no fabricated out of sheet metal) but I don't see any of that in the rules. If it is does replacing a rusty battery tray in the firewall count as modifying it?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
7/1/11 11:44 a.m.

Modifying a firewall is removing more then a 12" square and normally recessing it further rearward or complete replacement with FLAT sheet.

If all you are doing is removing said tray and putting the battery in back now or just putting in a new piece for the battery, you aren't modifying the firewall in regards to the context of the rules.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/1/11 7:09 p.m.

According to what?

Firewalls are not mentioned in the Challenge rules, and neither is a 12" square rule.

The only requirement for floorpans in the rules is that they be "present on the car at all times". Modifications to the pan and frame are clearly allowed for engine and suspension swaps.

Further rules regarding firewalls and floorpans in the SCCA, NASA, or NHRA rules would apply, but ONLY if they are safety rules. If they are not safety rules, they don't apply.

As I read it, firewall modifications cold be virtually unlimited (assuming they were completed in metal).

mderemer
mderemer
7/12/11 11:57 a.m.

Question: Can I use an expired SFI harness in a $2011 Challenge Car?

NHRA 2011 rules state "...where class does not require an SFI 16.1 driver restraint system two-year recertification does not apply..." (General Regulations page 40)

I should state that I'll most likely be slower than 11.5 secs and that my car is a 1966 Ford Mustang with no factory shoulder belts.

I'll probably suck it up and buy new ones since it doesn't count against the project budget, but it does count against the wallet budget...

Thanks.

mderemer
mderemer New Reader
7/12/11 12:11 p.m.

For a broader statement when they talk about NHRA and SCCA safety rules they are talking about:

Section 20 General Regulations of the 2011 NHRA handbook

and

SCCA Solo Rules section 3.3

Right? Thanks again.. first time competitor...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/12/11 5:29 p.m.

Technically, as far as the NHRA regs go, they are talking about the safety related (only) rules within the General Regulations as well as Sportsman Class.

speedbiu
speedbiu New Reader
7/15/11 7:44 p.m.

Window question.The car I bought didnt have side windows are they required for the drag race?? I tried to read the NHRA rules but only states about OEM parts. Thanks

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/16/11 10:01 a.m.

NHRA rules have a little weirdness about windows.

They require windows in place, without an exception (even if there are window nets).

That is NOT how the window rule is actually enforced at the track. Cars have run without side windows.

speedbiu
speedbiu New Reader
7/16/11 2:26 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Whew,Thanks! Theres no money in the budget for windows at this point.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/16/11 2:40 p.m.

I kind of doubt the intent of the NHRA was ever to have both.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/16/11 2:45 p.m.

One note:

You asked about the NHRA. The Challenge rules (rule #11) also mention windows (permitting them being replaced with Lexan).

As I said before, there are cars than have run with glass.

My cars generally have OEM glass that is removable, so I can pull them out for weight.

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
7/19/11 12:20 p.m.

so, what is the deal with free things? lets call it dumpster diving. i make my living working on airplanes. certain things are replaced on a time basis that are perfectly usable. for example, 12v batteries get replaced every 2 years and we throw them out. all of my personal vehicles use them cause they are free and usually go another 2 years. we do certain modifications that require changing battery cable length and gauge, the old ones get thrown away so i take them and use them. also stainless braided -an hoses get replaced every 7 years and get thrown away. i use them for turbo lines and such.

in my eyes, anyone could go through our dumpster and find these things just as i can so it shouldnt hit the budget, but im curious as to what everyone else thinks.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
7/19/11 12:31 p.m.
PhilStubbs wrote: in my eyes, anyone could go through our dumpster and find these things just as i can so it shouldnt hit the budget, but im curious as to what everyone else thinks.

what's the address?

is the dumpster in a secured area?

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
7/19/11 1:59 p.m.

The dumpster is behind a locked gate at night, but mon-fri 8-5 it's open and nobody would care if someone went in it. It's in St. Augustine FL. So, opinions on my dilemma?

Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
7/20/11 8:07 a.m.
PhilStubbs wrote: so, what is the deal with free things? lets call it dumpster diving. i make my living working on airplanes. certain things are replaced on a time basis that are perfectly usable. for example, 12v batteries get replaced every 2 years and we throw them out. all of my personal vehicles use them cause they are free and usually go another 2 years. we do certain modifications that require changing battery cable length and gauge, the old ones get thrown away so i take them and use them. also stainless braided -an hoses get replaced every 7 years and get thrown away. i use them for turbo lines and such. in my eyes, anyone could go through our dumpster and find these things just as i can so it shouldnt hit the budget, but im curious as to what everyone else thinks.

My Company throws out aluminum mandrel bent tubing drops. It is used to transport plastic pellets by vacuum thru-out the plant. I will use the tubing for intercooler piping and exhaust. It goes from the dumpster to the scrap man where anyone could buy it. I am adding it to the budget at scrap value.

Any dumpster diving (I think) goes in the budget at metal scrap value but not fully free value.

You sure won't build the whole car from savings in the dumpster.

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
7/20/11 8:24 a.m.

Ours just goes to the landfil. Kinda hard to value it. Maybe I'll just add $20 or so cause it's 2 hoses, one ground wire, and one battery that our battery guy pays $4 each for.

I'm already building this car dirty cheap. I bought it with no title from some kids building it as a drag car that couldn't figure out some wiring grimlens they created while converting from TBI to mpfi and from obd0 to obd1.

Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
7/21/11 10:08 a.m.
PhilStubbs wrote: Ours just goes to the landfil. Kinda hard to value it. Maybe I'll just add $20 or so cause it's 2 hoses, one ground wire, and one battery that our battery guy pays $4 each for. I'm already building this car dirty cheap. I bought it with no title from some kids building it as a drag car that couldn't figure out some wiring grimlens they created while converting from TBI to mpfi and from obd0 to obd1.

If it goes to the landfill, you cost is trully free! Good deal.

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
7/21/11 10:38 a.m.

that answers my question then. lol. so $4 for the battery cause thats what our guy pays for them that takes them away and the rest is free. SWEET!!! lol

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3zoRhz8DQoFcYJBVB4cqCOW7C2VB9m0jHX0odDbpXi3mwxP5GAcjDR4l9jg5bic2