Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/1/11 1:20 p.m.

I'm confused, this is also a new concept to me. To clarify, here's a practical example...let's say I have some Tokico struts that came with my $2011 car that I don't need because I bought some used KYB AGXs. I have some scrap aluminum that would be about the same FMV (but got free from a buddy deal). You're saying I can trade my Tokico struts to me for my scrap aluminum without impacting the budget? These Civic Tokicos can work with my AWD Fiero suspension design, so they do indeed carry some value to me.

This would be way, way easier than trying to convince some dude on craigslist that he should pay me in scrap aluminum (even though I have a pile already) to get some Tokicos because of some goofy trade and recoup budget rules!

Is my practical example above legal, to trade parts with myself?

Bryce

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/1/11 1:36 p.m.

Yes, sort of. I believe Angry actually set up a little shrine outside of my house and stalked me until I caved on that point.

The point is more that if you're trading FMV for FMV for some random piece of crap (and this is documented), then who is to say that you didn't just make up a buddy's name to fill in on a receipt?

In short, if I can't police it--It doesn't matter as long as it's within the spirit of the rules. Remember, if you cheat on an IQ test, you're an idiot with no morals—not smarter than the next clown.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
8/1/11 2:16 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yes, sort of. I believe Angry actually set up a little shrine outside of my house and stalked me until I caved on that point.

That was also documented on the old board, but the archive doesn't go back that far. I even went so far as to pull a permit from the Ormond Beach zoning office before erecting the shrine.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
8/1/11 2:19 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Per Schroeder wrote: Yes, sort of. I believe Angry actually set up a little shrine outside of my house and stalked me until I caved on that point.
That was also documented on the old board, but the archive doesn't go back that far. I even went so far as to pull a permit from the Ormond Beach zoning office before erecting the shrine.

We sure missed you that summer, here in the Motor City.

But the shrine turned out well.

watchdoc
watchdoc New Reader
8/1/11 5:31 p.m.

More questions.

1. Do you have to count sales tax toward your budget? Seems a lil unfair since different states and counties charge different rates.

2. Can I deduct "cash back" from my Chase Freedom card. Specific example is that I get 1% back on all purchases so if I pay for my $130 new struts with my Chase card, I will get $1.30 back from Chase.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/1/11 9:55 p.m.

Yes, count the sales tax. If you don't like the taxes in your place of residence, moving in within the boundaries of the rules.

No, you may not credit your cash back. Use it to buy your S.O. a nice dinner for putting up with the junky car you have around for so long.

Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
8/2/11 8:51 a.m.

Question: About the no race car rule

The floor was cut out when I bought the 54 year old car. Front suspension is burned C5 Corvette parts, that end is OK. But the back end, if I ladderbar or 4-link the rearend to the roll cage is this considered infringing on the no race car rule? Yes? No?

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
8/2/11 9:06 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yes, sort of. I believe Angry actually set up a little shrine outside of my house and stalked me until I caved on that point. The point is more that if you're trading FMV for FMV for some random piece of crap (and this is documented), then who is to say that you didn't just make up a buddy's name to fill in on a receipt? In short, if I can't police it--It doesn't matter as long as it's within the spirit of the rules. Remember, if you cheat on an IQ test, you're an idiot with no morals—not smarter than the next clown.

So, just to make sure I'm understanding this. Let's say I have a sway bar in the closet I could really use, I could trade myself a passenger seat for it?

Per Schroeder
8/2/11 12:57 p.m.

Are you trading like value for like value? can you document that? am I going to look at your car and say bullE36 M3?

Gasoline--that sounds pretty extreme--there's always our special class where pretty much anything goes as long as it meets the budget constraints.

Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
8/2/11 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Per Schroeder:

"Special Class" sounds like I will be on the short bus with the other degenerates that don't fit in........

The car came with leaf suspension in the rear I might just try to put some leaf setup back in to play with the non race cars.

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
8/2/11 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Per Schroeder:

Full civic interior for $150 in mandrel bends and couplers? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
8/2/11 2:30 p.m.

A few questions: I remember a rule regarding bolt on body parts being removable. Can a pickup bed be removed?

Likewise, can a frame be shortened? Can a body be sectioned/chopped?

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
8/2/11 3:53 p.m.

The only thing I have seen about removing body parts was one headlight for air intake and the bumper for drag racing.

I assume a frame can only be shortened if it has to for an engine/drivetrain swap. That's my understanding of the rules.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/2/11 7:53 p.m.
PhilStubbs wrote: In reply to Per Schroeder: Full civic interior for $150 in mandrel bends and couplers? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Yep, the slippery slope just got really steep...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/2/11 8:04 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: A few questions: I remember a rule regarding bolt on body parts being removable. Can a pickup bed be removed? Likewise, can a frame be shortened? Can a body be sectioned/chopped?

That rule (#12) is a specific reference to bolt on fenders on pre-1940 designed vehicles (like the VW bug). It does not reference a truck. Several cars always seem to get lighter and lighter as the day wears on at the drags.

Frames have been lengthened. Why not shortened? Sounds like a suspension modification to me.

Bodies have been sectioned and chopped.

speedbiu
speedbiu New Reader
8/2/11 10:02 p.m.

Is a racing seat a saftey Item that don't go against the budget? Its sole perpose is to hold you inplace.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
8/2/11 10:08 p.m.

Negative, seats still count in the budget.

speedbiu
speedbiu New Reader
8/2/11 10:20 p.m.

Weighs the same as stock seat but allows the 5 point safety harness to hold you more securely in place.Theres no speed gained from a race seat even thought there my be a pound or two diff.

nocones
nocones HalfDork
8/2/11 10:50 p.m.

Keep the stock seats for concourse then and swap for performance events. Then I would think you could argue safety only..

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
8/2/11 10:51 p.m.

In reply to speedbiu:

If your car came with a bench seat or unsupportive buckets then it's an advantage on the autocross to have a race seat.

Pat
Pat Reader
8/2/11 10:55 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: In reply to speedbiu: If your car came with a bench seat or unsupportive buckets then it's an advantage on the autocross to have a race seat.

+1

PhilStubbs
PhilStubbs New Reader
8/3/11 7:55 a.m.

yea, as much as i would love to not include my $200 seat in the budget, it is a performance advantage. almost no stock seat will hold you half as well as a proper racing seat

speedbiu
speedbiu New Reader
8/3/11 8:10 a.m.

Ok,my car is a corvette so changing seats would not be a great upgrade but with the factory seat the shoulder harness straps didn't fit right so I had to change to a race seat.The weight is the same but the safety harness conforms to the race seat better and I feel safer.I do think the rules should be changes to allow race seats because it is a safety item for peace of mind. Come on someone go with me on this :)

Per Schroeder
8/3/11 9:25 a.m.
PhilStubbs wrote: In reply to Per Schroeder: Full civic interior for $150 in mandrel bends and couplers? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Here's where I fall back on the "is it meeting the spirit of the rules?" question. That's pretty shady.

I can pretty easily just say, "no self trades."

wait. I just did.

Done.

Per Schroeder
8/3/11 9:25 a.m.

and, seats are a part of the budget, not safety allowances.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZALxrxes5WKjq5uAuXPSm84HQa8n9OCXYpbrvqDMPQPcUf512LCBgaejQayjSeqC