GPDren
GPDren Reader
3/22/11 2:01 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
GPDren wrote: If you look at the true expense of running other "cheap" events, such as Lemons, it's considerably higher due to safety equipment costs. I understand these type events need more safety equipment as they're wheel to wheel, but that added cost puts them out of my finacial reach.
Not taking anything away from the Challenge, but don't discount Lemons. We've never put forth more than $900 or so per team member all in. I think the cheapest it got was down to $600 or so.

That's a good point, splitting the expenses across all the team members really helps. My issue is that I'll doing this solo so there'e no one to chip in but myself.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/22/11 2:13 p.m.
GPDren wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
GPDren wrote: If you look at the true expense of running other "cheap" events, such as Lemons, it's considerably higher due to safety equipment costs. I understand these type events need more safety equipment as they're wheel to wheel, but that added cost puts them out of my finacial reach.
Not taking anything away from the Challenge, but don't discount Lemons. We've never put forth more than $900 or so per team member all in. I think the cheapest it got was down to $600 or so.
That's a good point, splitting the expenses across all the team members really helps. My issue is that I'll doing this solo so there'e no one to chip in but myself.

OK, then don't do lemons. It would be really hard to run for 17 hours with no pit crew all by yourself. Plus there's a 4-6 person requirement for each team, so that should stop you before the financial issue would.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/22/11 6:22 p.m.

GPD: you've got mail. Maybe neither one of us needs to be a solo act!

Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
3/23/11 3:52 p.m.

The soldier w/ 13s truck is welcome anytime in Atlanta. We will be proud to bend up a inexpensive legal cage to keep you "rule police" complacent.

Looking for a grudge race? Let me know.

GPDren
GPDren Reader
3/23/11 7:23 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
GPDren wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
OK, then don't do lemons. It would be really hard to run for 17 hours with no pit crew all by yourself. Plus there's a 4-6 person requirement for each team, so that should stop you before the financial issue would.

I agree, but the Challenge sounds like it's right up my alley. Can't wait

Cuda
Cuda
3/24/11 10:35 p.m.

Hello everyone! I am in the early stages of putting together a car for my first ever 200x challenge. The drags and auto-x scoring is pretty self explanatory, but the concourse is a little tougher. What are the judges looking for? I know I wont be winning anything, but I have a goal of finishing in the top half overall.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/25/11 12:09 a.m.

Effort, creativity, and editorial content (good stories).

Some people assume the concourse is about "pretty"- not necessarily true.

Show them cool with a great back story, and you'll earn some points.

So, "It was pretty much in this condition when I bought it, but I did add nitrous" is a looser story, no matter how fast it is.

"This car had been used as a dog kennel for over 20 years. It was a turd, but I always loved this particular model because my granddaddy drove one. My wife spent over 3000 hours polishing the rust 'till it shines. Now that we've brought it back from the dead and converted it to AWD, my dream is to eventually enter it in the WRC and utilize it to raise awareness for abandoned Katrina dogs". Now THAT'S a winner story (and a slight variation on several compiled real stories).

BTW- be prepared to sell it (publically). They'll put a mike in your hand and expect you to tell them something worth printing in the magazine.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/25/11 12:10 a.m.

Oh, and welcome aboard, Cuda!

Will you be running a Cuda?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/30/11 12:15 p.m.

What puts a car in "caveman" class?

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
3/30/11 12:31 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Oh, and welcome aboard, Cuda! Will you be running a Cuda?

I'll second that!

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
3/30/11 12:35 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: What puts a car in "caveman" class?

I believe construction limited to basic hand tools. No air tools, welders, etc.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
3/30/11 1:42 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:

I think no new computers, as well.

As in you can run a Miata, but with the original module, no alterations.

or acient non computer cars.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/30/11 2:32 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote:
I think no new computers, as well. As in you can run a Miata, but with the original module, no alterations. or acient non computer cars.

What about piggyback computers?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
3/30/11 2:40 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote:
I think no new computers, as well. As in you can run a Miata, but with the original module, no alterations. or acient non computer cars.
What about piggyback computers?

my interpretation is no. It's not a hand tool.

ronholm
ronholm New Reader
4/11/11 11:59 a.m.

How much of a budget hit do you have to take for things like... Ohh... Stop signs, detour signs... useful stuff like that...

they don't typically cost all that much..

(sorry )

bluej
bluej Dork
4/11/11 1:12 p.m.

In reply to ronholm:

depends. how much is each day in jail worth after someone "runs" the stop and people are killed in the accident.

ronholm
ronholm New Reader
4/11/11 2:22 p.m.

Dang.. I knew I should have left that "Bridge out" sign alone..

Ok.. So true enough for sure... But what about the old aluminum signs I picked up for legally for free...

To much of a ? mark? and just use something else? Or just call it scrap sheet and bill myself what? nothing... or scrap price??

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
4/11/11 4:34 p.m.
ronholm wrote: Dang.. I knew I should have left that "Bridge out" sign alone.. Ok.. So true enough for sure... But what about the old aluminum signs I picked up for legally for free... To much of a ? mark? and just use something else? Or just call it scrap sheet and bill myself what? nothing... or scrap price??

if it was just something you picked up along the way for free i'd think its free, kind of how Andy Nelson used a piece of broken off semi-exhaust from the highway in the Z car build IIRC. though i dont actually know how it was specified in his budget.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
4/11/11 5:17 p.m.

I've been picking up debris from car crashes (anything metal, anything that looks remotely useful) for the Challenge build. I have some metal bumpers and some ground effects bits that I plan on counting the same as dumpster finds (free for the taking).

bluej
bluej Dork
4/12/11 7:08 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I've been picking up debris from car crashes (anything metal, anything that looks remotely useful) for the Challenge build. I have some metal bumpers and some ground effects bits that I plan on counting the same as dumpster finds (free for the taking).

ronholm, I mostly agree with the above. if it was available for anyone, not just specifically you and you got it free, then they're free. if it was something you just had laying around and are now deciding to use for the challenge, then scrap price for the budget should be fine since that's the "fair market value" of just the metal.

ronholm
ronholm New Reader
4/12/11 11:17 a.m.

Perfect... So trading it for the Aluminum bumper (that outweighs the sheet I intend to use) from the parts car zero's it back out?

fritzsch
fritzsch New Reader
4/13/11 11:43 a.m.

How come the cost of transporting the car to the challenge has to be included in the budget? Doesn't that sort of create an unfair disadvantage for people not living on the east coast or near florida?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/13/11 11:53 a.m.
fritzsch wrote: How come the cost of transporting the car to the challenge has to be included in the budget? Doesn't that sort of create an unfair disadvantage for people not living on the east coast or near florida?

Does it? I thought it was the cost of picking up parts or the car itself had to be included...

fritzsch
fritzsch New Reader
4/13/11 2:19 p.m.

Oh. Maybe thats what it is. I might have gotten confused.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
4/16/11 7:14 a.m.

The cost of transporting a car to the Challenge does not count against the budget. The cost of transporting it home after purchasing it does.

The answer is obviously to buy the car EN ROUTE to the Challenge!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wQWcEomvEWaJLgSi8q9MvVqkSOkkgju0rc47blQm8Q07k4IxG1t5ZX0deZO2lYIV