1 2 3 4
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/3/10 7:41 p.m.

Why would you?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/3/10 7:43 p.m.

As Sarah said, Mike has certainly put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into Uranus.

Per

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
10/3/10 8:29 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: I got the 5.7 for $0. I swiped it from work, swapped in a newer one, with a rod knocking before the JY came back for it. So far only $30 into it so far, new rod bearings straight from the dealer. Not to mention the brand new 5.7 LX intake for $0, it's broken. Three Hemi engine swaps worth of various gaskets for $0. 5.7 starter for $0. Couple of PCM's and wiring for $0. $60 for a SFI flexplate, mates a 727/904 easier, if I decide to go that way. Might try to find a 46RE and use that for some OD/LU abuse on the strip. Just need to figure out engine mounting, exhaust, and some other things into the budget. Brian

so whats the ruling on parts stolen from work being budgeted at $0?

there are rumors, maybe alcohol fueled, that team ziptie racing could be expanding to a cleveland chapter, and that said team might show up with one of 3 possible vehicles ranging from a really old truck to an e30. there was much consumption and discussion the last two nights so i'm not quite sure what is in the works.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/3/10 8:31 p.m.

You may slow it down, but you would only anger Uranus. Honestly, I shudder to think that I've had a hand in Uranus and the way it is perceived by the other competitors.

The gaping question regarding Uranus has to do with how much cash can be placed into Uranus. After a breif chat with Mike, I think there's about $100 more room before it would have to expose Uranus to the big boys. And if I know Mike, I know he wants to keep things squeeky tight with Uranus. Labor, of course, is free, and Mike had been known to spend hours with booth hands and his head up in Uranus, not having any idea when he would emerge.

It remains an enigma.

jg

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/3/10 8:44 p.m.

18 hour ride home gives lots of time to come up with ideas. I currently have a plan, it involves a King Midget, please let me know if you see any cheap ;)

My team hates me.

Home safe and sound, as my teammates remarked when they were pulling the car off the trailer, any event you can drive off the trailer is a good one.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/3/10 8:50 p.m.

They aren't "stolen", they are "creatively procured". Most of the stuff I listed is either leftovers from gasket kits not needed but only supplied one way, other people's leftover junk they gave to me, or warranty parts destined for the dumpster. One of the after effects of working for a Dodge dealer out on the service floor for two years. A lot of the time, you never knew what you would get for factory parts. Like one engine will come with everything, while the next one is freaking bare and you have to swap over everything. So it's just easier to order crap that wasn't necessarily "needed", so you weren't held up another day losing money waiting on parts.

The engine was actually left out in the open and never picked up for a week. I drove in, used the shop hoist, put it in the truck and drove home like I normally do.

Brian

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/3/10 9:04 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Let me look through my old purchase history. I bought a car from a guy who was a king midget fanatic in Clermont FL. He knows where pretty much all of them are.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/3/10 9:07 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

OK, googled King Midget Clermont FL and got the guys website. Here tis!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/3/10 9:08 p.m.

if the free parts are open to anybody then it is free, however if it is only free to you then it is FMV if I understand things correctly

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
10/3/10 9:12 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: or warranty parts destined for the dumpster. One of the after effects of working for a Dodge dealer out on the service floor for two years...<> The engine was actually left out in the open and never picked up for a week. I drove in, used the shop hoist, put it in the truck and drove home like I normally do.

i'm gonna have to throw the (rule)book at you on this one. if a part was available as free to the general public and it became yours because you got there first, then it is truly free to your challenge budget. however, in the scenario you described, these parts were not available for free to the general public and you got them only because you worked there. gotta put an FMV on them somehow. scrap value for the engine, sure that'll work, but it can't be $0.00. how much does the complete gasket set weigh? if you put a cost-per-gram on the kit and charge yourself for the weight of the gaskets you got for free, nobody would call BS on that.

better to hear it now than to have GRM lay the smackdown on you at the event.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/3/10 9:20 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to JThw8: OK, googled King Midget Clermont FL and got the guys website. Here tis!

Dang, he actually has one for sale that would have done the trick, we coulda thrown it in the truck for the ride home.

Wonder what it would cost to ship one?

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/3/10 9:24 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: So, is it too early to start discussing next year's builds?

Never

racerfink
racerfink HalfDork
10/3/10 9:28 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: It remains an enigma. jg

Oh, I thought you said ENEM... nevermind...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/3/10 9:29 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to JThw8: OK, googled King Midget Clermont FL and got the guys website. Here tis!
Dang, he actually has one for sale that would have done the trick, we coulda thrown it in the truck for the ride home. Wonder what it would cost to ship one?

Considering they fit in the back of a pickup, I'm sure the GRM family could pull it off for cheap or technically free. I really want to see you BABE on of those.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/3/10 9:31 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
Dang, he actually has one for sale that would have done the trick, we coulda thrown it in the truck for the ride home. Wonder what it would cost to ship one?
Considering they fit in the back of a pickup, I'm sure the GRM family could pull it off for cheap or technically free. I really want to see you BABE on of those.

Oh hell no. It would be a GRM only thing. I started talking about my plan for it and one of my guys (I think it was jeff) looked at me with abject terror and said "there is no way in hell I'm getting on the Lemons track in that contraption." Well, me neither, I just want it for GRM :)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/3/10 9:37 p.m.

King Midget would be way cool. Yes, bring it.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/3/10 9:43 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
Oh hell no. It would be a GRM only thing. I started talking about my plan for it and one of my guys (I think it was jeff) looked at me with abject terror and said "there is no way in hell I'm getting on the Lemons track in that contraption." Well, me neither, I just want it for GRM :)

Crap, I was about 170 and sat next the guy who was about 220. We sat hip to hip with arms over the side to drive it.

BTW-working the wipers with a little lever that comes through the windshield frame is cool!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/3/10 9:48 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

The King Midget guy is a Truck driver, there might be a cheap delivery angle there.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/3/10 9:56 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: King Midget would be way cool. Yes, bring it.

I would hope you have figured out now that you have met me that it might end up a little um...different

MrJoshua wrote: In reply to JThw8: The King Midget guy is a Truck driver, there might be a cheap delivery angle there.

This board is just full of enablers :) I will have to give this some more serious thought once I pay off the incredibly terrible fuel bill we are going to get from this trip.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/3/10 9:58 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: i'm gonna have to throw the (rule)book at you on this one. if a part was available as free to the general public and it became yours because you got there first, then it is truly free to your challenge budget. however, in the scenario you described, these parts were not available for free to the general public and you got them only because you worked there. gotta put an FMV on them somehow. scrap value for the engine, sure that'll work, but it can't be $0.00. how much does the complete gasket set weigh? if you put a cost-per-gram on the kit and charge yourself for the weight of the gaskets you got for free, nobody would call BS on that. better to hear it now than to have GRM lay the smackdown on you at the event.

Never did I say I am claiming $0. I only said I got them for $0. Most everything going to be used on this project is going to be FMV priced.

Brian

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
10/3/10 10:18 p.m.

I'm currently in negotiations for this:

It's time to get back to my roots and stop building Jetta's.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
10/3/10 10:35 p.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: I'm currently in negotiations for this: It's time to get back to my roots and stop building Jetta's.

DARE YOU!!!!

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/4/10 5:54 a.m.

I was going to ask about FMV for stolen goods ....

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 New Reader
10/4/10 7:39 a.m.

Hopefully I'll make it next year; either with the Lemons car, or my supposed to be (but still not finished) $2009 car.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/4/10 7:48 a.m.
Supercoupe wrote: I'll be there again with this car I found in the trash leaving the '10 Challenge, just have figure fmv....

Thanks a lot, it took 5 of us to get Uranus off the can. I have to say when Uranus runs, it runs, we dropped 1.1 seconds at the drags from last year. And yes we have $100 to spend on Uranus next year, so who can beat a clown for under 1K?? I guess I'll bring back the "I beat the clown" trophy if anybody accepts the challenge. You have a year to figure out and execute a way to pound Uranus, are you man enough????

JG, when the hand disappears, it's no longer a goose... thanks for the beads...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V7fC7GjgwNdNqVRpiObWF3gJuEEGDUCM4bUYiS3yzfQkrh0BxPl1C10AR7wwf6WZ