1 2
wildhorses
wildhorses New Reader
9/21/12 7:03 a.m.

Howdy all, I cannot stress enough that when it comes to high speed track activities you cannot have enough safety gear. You also need to practice exit drills regularly and blindfold yourself so that you can truly see what it will be like. I was engulfed in complete yellow and had to exit and decide which way to run once I was out with nothing but yellow or black in my view.

Since this was day one(1) of the four(4) day NASA Championships you can bet I spent the next three(3) days with nothing to do but analyze what I could've done to avoid the whole scenario. Fact is, we can do our best to avoid most situations but if you drive at the limits as much as I do then sometimes stuff happens beyond our control.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/21/12 8:49 a.m.

Randy Probst's column in the last Sportscar was about his recent race car fire and quick exit. He commented about practicing the exit blindfolded since you often can see a damned thing.

Glad everyone got out safely.

mattm
mattm New Reader
9/21/12 7:33 p.m.
wildhorses wrote: Howdy all, I cannot stress enough that when it comes to high speed track activities you cannot have enough safety gear. You also need to practice exit drills regularly and blindfold yourself so that you can truly see what it will be like. I was engulfed in complete yellow and had to exit and decide which way to run once I was out with nothing but yellow or black in my view. Since this was day one(1) of the four(4) day NASA Championships you can bet I spent the next three(3) days with nothing to do but analyze what I could've done to avoid the whole scenario. Fact is, we can do our best to avoid most situations but if you drive at the limits as much as I do then sometimes stuff happens beyond our control.

Just wanted to congratulate you on your awesomeness. I was paddocked right by the car graveyard at mid Ohio and heard that you went back in to help the other driver. I spent some time looking at your racecar looking for lessons to be learned and what i found was a well prepped car that gave its life for you. Your car took significant damage and you were able to get out and help your fellow racer. I race in spec miata but would go wheel to wheel with you any day sir!!

In fact the entire spec miata group had to do a 10 second exit test simultaneously in impound. I have to thank you for that as I finally got to test my skills on that maneuver officially.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SVrkU2ifLbiSWqrcF6J2yvyLjpQlS1wR46hRd8CeyJIf4lLeYVEEraEBflZ9a4Uq