pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/10/13 11:54 a.m.

Seeing someone sit inside the coupe, it looks like another car with mail slots for windows. I guess that's how the world is heading but it makes me enjoy the proportions of my SN95 even more.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 11:57 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

The pillars are actually smaller to aid in visibility, and it has a blind spot warning system. I don't like high belt lines either, but at least these things may help.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/10/13 12:01 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Yeah, about 8" shorter and narrower than the 2015.

Guess what, all cars are bigger. Let's check 50 years of the 911. WB9.5" longer, 12" longer, 7.5" wider. Cars have grown up boys and girls

AverageH
AverageH Reader
12/10/13 12:01 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Below is a picture of a 2013 Mustang GT. Specifically what scoops were "getting out of hand"?

Seriously? I mean, do I really have to post pictures to jog your memory?

It may not be a GT, but whatevs... that wasn't my point. Fake scoops going nowhere for the visual windjammer effect doesn't compute for me. If the new Mustang can stay away from that, I'd be happy. It was getting out of hand.

Let me know if you want more pics of previous models.

-Hamid

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 12:05 p.m.

In reply to AverageH:

That's a Shelby. It's not like you can't buy a Mustang without fake scoops.

Adrian_Thompson
12/10/13 12:09 p.m.
AverageH wrote: Seriously? I mean, do I really have to post pictures to jog your memory? It may not be a GT, but whatevs... that wasn't my point. Fake scoops going nowhere for the visual windjammer effect doesn't compute for me. If the new Mustang can stay away from that, I'd be happy. It was getting out of hand. Let me know if you want more pics of previous models. -Hamid

Eerr, that's a car with a load of aftermarket crap on it. This is an 07 Shelby. Please identify the fake scoops, I'm having a hard time!!

AverageH
AverageH Reader
12/10/13 12:10 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

What about the SN95 hood scoops. Were those functional?

Adrian_Thompson
12/10/13 12:13 p.m.
AverageH wrote: In reply to bravenrace: What about the SN95 hood scoops. Were those functional?

MAch 1 most certainly was.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/10/13 12:13 p.m.

In reply to AverageH:

I know the v6/gt ones weren't for the hood or the sides......the cobras, IDK.

Edit: and what adrian said

AverageH
AverageH Reader
12/10/13 12:14 p.m.

I see fake scoops all over Mustangs; that is part of the Mustang heritage. If you're going to pick apart every image and have a counterpoint image, then I'm done. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

-Hamid

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/10/13 12:16 p.m.

In reply to AverageH:

FWIW, the rear 1/4 window louvers were a real vent on the 65-66 fastback....the gt350's in those years had just the window instead. While most aftermarket add ons are indeed fake/tacky, most originally were functional.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 12:18 p.m.

In reply to AverageH:

Your original post made it sound like all mustangs are covered with fake scoops. The fact is that most of the fake stuff comes from either tuner companies or the aftermarket. Yes, there were some fake scoops on some mustangs from the factory, put there to emulate older vehicles where the scoops were functional. I don't like fake stuff either, just pointing out that its not something that mandatory when buying a Mustang. Just don't check the option box.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 12:20 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Yes, they are functional. And not to be picky (but I will), only the 66 Shelby's had the window and side brake cooling scoops. The '65's were just like the standard mustang in that regard.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
12/10/13 12:21 p.m.

In reply to yamaha: Thank you for the clarification. It's unfortunate that all the current ones can cloud the authenticity of the originals. I wish I bought stock in 3M 20 years ago.

-Hamid

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 12:21 p.m.

Adrian_Thompson
12/10/13 12:24 p.m.
AverageH wrote: I see fake scoops all over Mustangs; that is part of the Mustang heritage. If you're going to pick apart every image and have a counterpoint image, then I'm done. I'm just pointing out the obvious. -Hamid

As bravenrace said, some Mustangs came from the factory with fake scoopes, no one's prefect, but you chose to post a pic of a car covered with aftermarket crap and try to blame Ford for it.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
12/10/13 12:25 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Well everything I'm reading in the SN95 forums, the owners complain about the fake scoops; care to explain? I've heard these complaints for years.

-Hamid

AverageH
AverageH Reader
12/10/13 12:30 p.m.

Ok ok. It's hard for me to know just exactly what aftermarket is if I'm not a Mustang fan- guilty. If you guys and all the forums are saying that there are fake scoops on factory mustangs, my point has been made. Carry on.

-Hamid

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 12:37 p.m.

In reply to AverageH:

Hey, pretty much every spoiler on a street car is effectively fake also. Sometimes things are done for styling, and making hood scoops functional is harder these days than it used to be. I'm a Mustang guy and have not heard all these complaints you talk about, but whatever. Like I said, I don't like fake stuff either. I just don't see how the Mustang is more guilty of that than other cars.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/10/13 12:39 p.m.

In reply to AverageH:

1994-1998 mustangs had fake hood vents and fake side vents(IDK know if the svt cars from those years were functional), the 1999-2004, I believe it was the same with the side vents and v6/gt hood scoops being non functional.....the mach was definitely a functional scoop and the cobra might have had heat extractors on the 03/04 hoods(not that keen on late sn's)

In reply to Bravenrace:

Thats what I get for the only '65 gt350 I've been around being one of the 350r racers.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 12:39 p.m.

Funny, my quick google search did turn up some things on SN95 fake scoops. Mostly guys asking or providing information on how to make them functional. Only thing I'd say about that is you can't make them functional if they are not there in the first place.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 12:42 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

The 65 R models didn't have the side scoops either, and the pillar vents were blocked off completely without a window. I'm also pretty sure the '66's didn't leave the Shelby factory with the side scoops either, although there was quite a bit of inconsistency in Shelby cars during that time period, so who knows.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/10/13 12:42 p.m.

Also, I'll take fake scoops for days compared to a car being sold new with fake carbon fiber vinyl stripes.......cough cough chrysler cough cough

bravenrace wrote: In reply to yamaha: The 65 R models didn't have the side scoops either, and the pillar vents were blocked off completely without a window.

Hmmm, maybe it was a 66.....meh, its been 6 years, and I only got to drive it once. I made a random dad's day and I made his baby cry with it though.....he was all grins and his wife was scowling.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
12/10/13 12:53 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

I guess it's all in what you look for; I doubt that you would search for "fake hood scoops" originally like I was. I would like to point out that the fake scoops on Subarus really bothered me too (I think the 2.5rs, etc?). "Less is more" really appeals to me, as well as functionality is all. If we could get the hoods back down closer to the ground I'd be grateful, but that's not possible in the modern world with all of the pedestrians losing their legs with those low hood-lines.

-Hamid

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 1:05 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Are you sure it was a real R model? They are extremely rare (36 total), and there are a lot more of them around now than were ever made. Even the real ones are not all exactly the same, as back then they were just race cars, and people modified them. And to correct myself, there were no '66 R models, only '65.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Qhv8mqenjLLDOEKdOvXAqTS7IcFYrGJOrjuLxeBr67JmLLREVucGjXA2gNXPb6O