6 7 8 9 10
bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/5/13 8:06 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

And the choice of a 6 speed manual or paddle shifted automatic.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/5/13 8:07 a.m.
spin_out wrote: Nope, Not interested. It's a miss for me. (Unless it looks a lot different in person.) It looks like they tried really hard to make it look more like the Camaro. The hood looks just like my dad's Fusion. I like that part.

Not trying to argue, but from what angle does that car look like a Camaro?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/5/13 8:09 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Flight Service: And the choice of a 6 speed manual or paddle shifted automatic.

Given I am in the old fat man stage of my life with wife, 2 kids and a dog, a secretary special convertible might not be a bad idea. Full lazy, V6 automatic, the works.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/5/13 8:09 a.m.

I was just trying to decide if I should ask that question or not. Only resemblance I see is they both have two doors. I'd also be curious to know what design element spin out sees that reminds him of the Camaro.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/5/13 8:11 a.m.

A Ford salesman tried to sell me on a 2013 V6 with an auto. Fail. Hopefully this one is better. But I'll tell you this, the manual is about as easy as an automatic if you compare it with my '65!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/5/13 8:12 a.m.

Now that all the pictures are out.....

I STILL LOVE IT.

This Mustang makes the current model look 20 years old, and I like the current model a lot. Looks like I'll have some convincing of the SWMBO to do when it comes time to replace my 3.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/5/13 8:16 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

If your impression (and mine also) holds true for the masses, then Ford was successful. They wanted it to look more modern, and reach out to both younger and European buyers. I can't stop looking at the pictures, and like it more and more each time. I haven't felt this way about a Mustang since the '69's came out.

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
12/5/13 8:16 a.m.

Seriously, why would you not want to walk out to your driveway and get in this everyday?!?!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/5/13 8:24 a.m.

I am not 100% sure on the looks but I think I like them. The interior is meh but if pricing stays around the same with 200 less lbs I can't see how how this will be a miss.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/5/13 8:29 a.m.

There is a guy at work that currently has a 65, 69, 84 1/2 GT-350, saw this this morning and said one thing.

"That is my next car."

I think that is a pretty strong endorsement from the Mustang faithful as well.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/5/13 8:32 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: If your impression (and mine also) holds true for the masses, then Ford was successful. They wanted it to look more modern, and reach out to both younger and European buyers. I can't stop looking at the pictures, and like it more and more each time. I haven't felt this way about a Mustang since the '69's came out.

I haven't felt this way about a Mustang... well... ever! I mean, I really like the current generation cars. A friend has a 2011 GT, and that car is nuts. It's like a big, brutal guided missile.

But this new car just looks great inside and out, and I like the new engine options. There's something for everyone that would be shopping for one of these: the V6 for the rental and secretary crowd, the Ecoboost for tech nerds and people that want a good compromise of power and economy, and the 5.0 for the hairy-chested manly men (and women) that absolutely have to experience the wonderful sounds and power of smooth V8 pleasure. I'd probably go for the Ecoboost 4, because I have a long commute that would benefit from the increased fuel economy, and I like turbo stuff.

GM and Chrysler better step up their game, or they are going to get left in the dust.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/5/13 8:54 a.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Seriously, why would you not want to walk out to your driveway and get in this everyday?!?!

Because it's not a rusty 91 Miata? I dunno.... I like it. The steering wheel has waaaay too many buttons though.

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
12/5/13 9:06 a.m.

I'm happy that I can finally tell people I worked on the new mustang :)

Totally earmarking my OT money (currently launching another Ford vehicle) for one of these!

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/5/13 9:06 a.m.

I wonder how fast my wife and I will pay off her Grand Cherokee when we buy one next year, because I might be pining for a new SVO - I mean, Ecoboost. I'd have to see the fuel economy figures to be sure though.

I'm sure a baby will come in and screw it up.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/5/13 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Not as many as an F1 car.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
12/5/13 10:27 a.m.
Fox News wrote: The car sits on the Mustang's first independent rear suspension, which should improve handling because it lets the wheels operate independently.

It's a real shame they don't hire journalists with even basic automotive backgrounds to write their automotive articles...LOL!

Also I would wait on the Ecoboost until after 1st hand reports start coming in on fuel economy, if that's a deciding factor. While the Ecoboost engines tend to do well in EPA cycle testing, they seem to struggle more than their naturally aspirated counterparts/competition to actually hit the EPA numbers in real world driving.

Overall, it definitely has the potential to be a solid step forward for one of Americas most iconic cars.

stan
stan SuperDork
12/5/13 10:29 a.m.

Good job Protege (on whatever you did...)! I bet it was killing you not to say anything.

I especially like the quiet homage to the original small "vents" on either side of the grill.

ransom
ransom UberDork
12/5/13 10:35 a.m.

Interesting. Just noticed that the Ford site says "available late 2014". So we have the product reveal, but are still the better part of a year from actual cars?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/5/13 10:37 a.m.
RossD wrote: I'm sure a baby will come in and screw it up.

Stop having sex.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/5/13 10:43 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Stop having sex.

It's like breathing.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/5/13 10:43 a.m.

This vid talks about the styling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1HX8Iq-56s

The guy who does a lot of the talking is Joel Piaskowsi, he's my boss. When they are walking around the car talking about the details, that's the studio where I work, if you look in the background at around the 45 sec mark you can see a large Mustang running horse emblem on the wall. My office is directly below that. Behind all the story boards you see are the designers and clay mills where we make to clay models.

I personally haven't worked on the Mustang (I'm not a designer) but obviously it's been the central focus of a lot of what we've been doing for months. We've had the press coming through for the photo shoots and introduction for months now.

HEre are some more vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4YzdTldKvoE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tefZ8d9_9Hk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0Q4CiHH5GVA

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
12/5/13 10:53 a.m.

First IRS in a Mustang... Apparently they don't know about the 1999-2004 Cobras...

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/5/13 11:00 a.m.
RossD wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Stop having sex.
It's like breathing.

Part of your medulla oblongata then? So even if you were rendered unconscious, you would still be having sex?

Be like me, first have four kids in rapid-fire fashion and then stop having sex. Wait, no, don't do that. Now I definitely cannot afford a Mustang.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
12/5/13 11:01 a.m.

I really like it.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
12/5/13 11:10 a.m.

I think the plethora of buttons is a result of the backlash IRT the SYNC and Ford Touch systems. They've ended up costing the company money, both on fixing the things, the red marks on their reliability ratings, and that us luddites just like our buttons and knobs!

I think that it'll fly in Europe. Yes it's still kinda big, but it's barely any more than a M3, will have comparable specs and be cheaper. Some will scoff at the comparison, but the gap is narrowing.

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2NRJd8H8opyJRrRG9WZihoUdAvZdBU1SHbGXfoIjH1LeAKBN0UkBMs0fQwx8yOqs