1 2
CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
11/9/21 7:49 a.m.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the looks, but I haven't driven one yet. I loved the last gen, but I keep hearing this gen isn't as sporty. The turbo motor was developed for the CX-9 and just happens to fit in the 3. That's about it.

This doesn't surprise me as Mazda moves to steal Audi buyers, as was touched on above. I don't like it, but I get it. Mazda is a very small company that needs to make moves to keep it afloat. I do hope they swing back to sport someday.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/9/21 7:55 a.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

If it has a similar price and performance as an Audi, I'll take the Audi for its superior paint and rust protection.

After a few years, you can fix mechanical, you can fix electronic, rust is a lot harder to fix.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/9/21 8:32 a.m.

I do find it amazing that we have a 260hp turbo AWD hatchback and the general concensus is .. meh. That shows how far we've come, power-wise, in the last 20 years.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/9/21 8:44 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Right? I mean, 10 years ago 250hp hatches were scarce. Now? Meh.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
11/9/21 9:59 a.m.

I'm glad I bought my '18 Mazda 3, and not the newest gen. The older model not only has better rearward visibility, but more cargo space in the hatch. It was also over 10k cheaper, and has a 6MT.  I'm probably in Mama's target demo, but the new 3 holds 0 interest to me. I specifically did not want a turbo, either, for a number of reasons. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/9/21 10:02 a.m.
dculberson said:

I do find it amazing that we have a 260hp turbo AWD hatchback and the general concensus is .. meh. That shows how far we've come, power-wise, in the last 20 years.

I think its interesting that the slowest class in Autocross is ruled by 200hp turbo hatches.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
11/9/21 10:34 a.m.

Me personally, I'm miles away from "meh" by the numbers.  My '88 626 Turbo made about 100 less HP and I think 100 less lb/ft of torque and it was a riot.  That's really where my "meh" comes from; this thing doesn't seem all that fun.  There's not real turbo lag, right?  There's no manual trans.  It seems like it would be a very competent car but not an interesting car to drive.  

I'm not sure if a GTI or whatever the upcoming Integra is going to be more entertaining thank this car but I can't image either would be less-than.  Something slightly rowdy is going to be more memorable.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/9/21 10:47 a.m.

Ughhh, even getting the non turbo version in manual is very limited now. only 1 or 2 trim levels offer it and good luck finding one. especially with leather

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/9/21 2:11 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

I'd honestly pass on it if you like anything remotely sporty. This isn't it. I tested one when car shopping last year, and it just wasn't fun to drive at all. Great place to hang out and sit, although you can't see anything beside or behind you thanks to the weird AMC Gremlin C-pillars, but that's about it. It sucks for diehard Mazda people, but it's just the way it is. As someone who has been singing the praises of Mazda for years, I'm just as disappointed as the rest of you.

I'd take a look at a Corolla hatch with a 6-speed if you are looking for something hatchback flavored, N/A, and manual. It's almost like Toyota copied the 2010-13 Mazda 3 and modernized it. I hear they are sorta fun to drive. They were on my list when shopping last year, but test driving the Kia Forte GT changed my plans.

And complaining about a 250hp turbo hatch... yeah, it's odd to think that it wouldn't be fun to drive, but I believe it. Kind of the same way a 305hp Dodge Avenger with the Pentastar is not fun to drive. It's not all about the power; it's about the whole cohesive experience.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/19/21 11:29 a.m.

Saw a hatch this morning and I got to thinkin', and eventually one of the things that popped up:

Engine doesn't reach redline.  Something about this sounds familiar, the ND tach was either too slow or something and not reading the true engine speed.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/19/21 12:30 p.m.

So far I'm really happy with my 21 N/A 3. It's an auto, base model which is exactly what I wanted for a DD. I've got a little over 3k miles on it so far and no real complaints so far. But I wasn't looking for a super sporty car and I honestly liked it better than the 21 Civic Sport I test drove.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0i7MXRNvO8YzitmTIdlqIUin6qVfC5SJCXyeqpWIkkX3caTxMJn6efoyrzgGqUn7