1 2
rotard
rotard Dork
8/22/12 12:36 p.m.

I might be getting a pretty clean 1991 300zx twin turbo with just under 100k miles. I think they are sooooo much cooler than their successors. Who else thinks this way?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/22/12 12:37 p.m.

I do. I think they're one of the coolest cars ever made.

alex
alex UltraDork
8/22/12 12:41 p.m.

Seconded. I love 'em.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/22/12 12:42 p.m.

YES

It's as cool as the 240z but in a different way. The 240Z is cool in an AE86/FR-S sort of way, good all rounder that's still practical on the street (except much better looking). The 300ZX is cool in a Viper sort of way, a big insane tire-vaporizing monster.

Move off gently and gradually floor the throttle. The rear tires will light up once the boost kicks in.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/22/12 12:50 p.m.

They are awesome. I wish there was a non-rear steer slicktop available, but there is not :(

Massively overbuilt machines. 10's on the Stock turbos? Yes please. Probably one of few cars you will find that will make comparable power/tq (or more) than the Z06 without too much invested.

Only thing that sucks is working on anything turbo related/manifold/exhaust related. Its not easy to work in that part of the engine bay.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
8/22/12 12:54 p.m.

Love the way they look. One of the coolest looking cars ever!

I would hate to work on one though. I've heard that they are absolute nightmares to work on.

Go for it!

rotard
rotard Dork
8/22/12 12:54 p.m.

Yeah, but everything is pretty stout on them. Definitely my favorite of the Japanese "supercars" from the 90's.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/22/12 12:55 p.m.

They aren't FUN to work on, but i didn't find any of it particularly HARD, just time consuming.

I want another quite badly.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/22/12 12:56 p.m.

Man, I still think these are one of the most beautiful sports cars made in the last few decades.

Isn't there a way to get rid of the rear steer?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
8/22/12 1:05 p.m.

Yes do it! I'll take one in pearl white.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/22/12 1:11 p.m.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
8/22/12 1:13 p.m.

Awesome great looking cars, but a nightmare to work on.

Needs an LSx swap.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
8/22/12 1:18 p.m.
e_pie wrote: Awesome great looking cars, but a nightmare to work on. Needs a twin turbo LSx swap.

FTFY

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/22/12 1:23 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: They aren't FUN to work on, but i didn't find any of it particularly HARD, just time consuming. I want another quite badly.

I want another quite badly as well.

And agreed, nothing is particularly hard. It's more you need to remove 10 things to get to something than holy berkeley I can't possibly fit my hand in there, or I need super obscure tools to work on this.

If you live somewhere without inspections/emissions, the engine bay can be greatly simplified.

J308
J308 Reader
8/22/12 1:26 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote:
e_pie wrote: Awesome great looking cars, but a nightmare to work on. Needs slicktop roof swap.
FTFY

FTFY

rotard
rotard Dork
8/22/12 1:33 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: They aren't FUN to work on, but i didn't find any of it particularly HARD, just time consuming. I want another quite badly.
I want another quite badly as well. And agreed, nothing is particularly hard. It's more you need to remove 10 things to get to something than holy berkeley I can't possibly fit my hand in there, or I need super obscure tools to work on this. If you live somewhere without inspections/emissions, the engine bay can be greatly simplified.

South Carolina...we don't care, and it shows!

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
8/22/12 1:37 p.m.
J308 wrote:
Conquest351 wrote:
e_pie wrote: Awesome great looking cars, but a nightmare to work on. Needs Needs a twin turbo LSx slicktop roof swap.
FTFY
FTFY

FTF E'RBODY!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/22/12 1:47 p.m.
Matt B wrote: Man, I still think these are one of the most beautiful sports cars made in the last few decades. Isn't there a way to get rid of the rear steer?

Swap rear-end components from a non-turbo. They weigh less, and as an added bonus, will fit more tire :)

corytate
corytate Dork
8/22/12 8:15 p.m.

Want one very badly.
I've always wanted one, but I want one much more now that I drove one for a good bit for work. DAMN nice car.
Think of it like a 3000gt with 2wd, better looks, better power, and MUCH better reliability.
RETARDEDLY over built, and one of the best looking cars made in the last 25 years

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/22/12 8:23 p.m.

Those early to mid 90s seemed to be the best time for Japanese sports cars...........and then they all went away. The Acura NSX, Mitsu 3000 GT, Nissan 300ZX TT, Mazda RX7 (ND) and the Toyota Supra all come to mind and all gone.

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
8/22/12 9:36 p.m.

A buddy/coworker got one and it was abused. I mean, it was rode hard and put away wet with 260k miles on it and didn't look like it had ever seen a jiffy lube. He knew nothing about cars, so I got the miserable task of helping him with a few things.

Third gear was notchy. I pulled the drain plug and parts of the transmission came out. Chunks. Filled it with Redline heavy shockproof and drove the dogsh!t out of it for a few miles and the tranmission improved with every shift, until it was magically cured, and it was never a problem again.

That thing will not die. It is an absolute tank. I still see it rolling around town, eight years later on.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/22/12 10:15 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Matt B wrote: snip Isn't there a way to get rid of the rear steer?
Swap rear-end components from a non-turbo. They weigh less, and as an added bonus, will fit more tire :)

Cool, I thought I had heard something about that before.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
8/22/12 10:24 p.m.

My friends parents have a '90 NA in Dark Gray Mica with the T-Tops. I love that car. They talk about selling it every year. If they didn't want $12k for it, I would jump on it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/22/12 10:25 p.m.
Matt B wrote: Cool, I thought I had heard something about that before.

They also make kits to lock the rear steer, but I prefer the less parts/less weight/less complexity method.

Not sure why they need rear steer either... they aren't a big car at all, it didn't help the handling either.

alex
alex UltraDork
8/22/12 11:00 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Not sure why they need rear steer either... they aren't a big car at all, it didn't help the handling either.

Same with the 3GS. I think it was part of the tech-for-tech's-sake arms race going on among the Japanese carmakers at the time. I've never seen a car short of the Phaeton with more unnecessary electronically adjustable stuff than my Stealth.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VMg7HJcgh5L5vS8hFaEov8gID8eWNyvl26rUG3p3hTylPQHhausW31prRG3UFz6x