1 2 3
MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
9/11/20 4:45 p.m.

I think my competition itch could be scratched with kart racing. As much as I love getting on the big boy tracks I just don't care to deal with all the overhead required to support full size auto racing.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/11/20 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Exactly. Share your knowledge. I think that's why I like GRM so much. Everyone seems willing to share their knowledge, experience, and skills to inspire those without the giant budgets to try.  
There are a lot of obsolete race cars available that are a modest entry to the thrill of racing. 

RobertElder
RobertElder New Reader
9/11/20 8:33 p.m.

In reply to MrFancypants :

That's what I'm hoping as well.. Karting + Sim Racing + Occasional Big Boy Track Days.. keep costs in check but still leaves plenty of time to enjoy the hobby. Champ Car is a very alluring proposition though as well.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
9/11/20 9:10 p.m.

Early in the year, BC-before covid,  I completed the BMW/NASA Competition driving school at Buttonwillow in Central California.  I have driven the track in school and HPDE events in the past averaging three events a year for the last four years.

What I learned at this last event, you have to be prepared to winch your car on the trailer when "stuff" happens.  

I might be sticking to "point by" events.  Being honest with my self. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/11/20 9:41 p.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

Racing, wheel to wheel  is a risk. Yet since I started racing back in the 60's  I've had one trivial scrape that took me 15 minutes to put right.  Indeed I've done worse damage in the garage or loading on the trailer. 
But racing can take everything. Indeed even your life. 

Perhaps that's its attraction. I've rarely been so alive as when the car is fighting me for control.  Tugging and dancing on the edge.   

I was racing in San Diego one year at the Naval Air station North Island where I'd been stationed  during Vietnam.  The field I was in was made of the top vintage race cars in the country.  So I was on my best behavior. From 4 rows back a Porsche RSK came up behind me so I pointed him by on the side I wanted him to pass me.  Lap after lap he caught me in the twisty bit and I pointed by on the straight. The next lap he was gone. 
I found out later he blew up his motor trying to pass me. I didn't realize my little home made race car could keep a Porsche RSK at bay.. And he didn't realize that money doesn't buy you everything. 

devina
devina Reader
9/12/20 2:07 p.m.

Lots of good info here.  Wheel to wheel racing for the first year is most likely the most expensive with buying a car and the required safety gear.  Depending on what you want to race and how badly, an IT car can be driven to and from events or if a trailer purchase is not an option, Uhaul trailers may be an option. 

There are decent cars out there for $5k and up, depending on what you want to run and this will obviously depend on the class and how much you want to potentially run at the front.  There are tons of used part and even used tires out there. 

I run a 1998 Acura Integra in Improved Touring with a local group and converted the car from a southern street car a little at a time.  I already had an open trailer and my wife's mid-size SUV daily driver is our tow vehicle.  I also have all the safety gear and tools.  I also only run 2-4 events a year so my budget is less than what we spend on my kids sports fees for the year.  I also run used Hoosiers from spec miatas so that keeps the budget in check. 

I am a solid mid-pack guy with this car with the bone stock drivetrain at the moment with some bolt ons, required safety gear and a solid suspension setup.  My build thread is in the build thread forum here if anyone is interested...

I am one of the few in the paddock with an open trailer but that is what my budget allows...will I win the runoffs or the ARRC, probably not, but I do have fun!!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cyecj3Wq1OrlllJEE8lHJbhW98RkDfyLOykKvyXzmWjLaNeOsZnNfsdXyYtdMajF