1 2
spandak
spandak Reader
1/30/20 8:25 a.m.

I was listening to a podcast about auctions the other day. They talked about a scirocco that went for way above "value" recently too. It's more of an indicator of who was bidding than what the car is actually worth. But it does make sense that 240s are climbing. I should have bought the $800 one local to me a few years back...

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/30/20 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Anyone know the sellers name? I have heard rumors on the Sweedspeed forum of a gentleman of questionable ethics, who after a stay at the crowbar hotel, had moved over to BAT and specializing in flipping 240Zs.

Just a thought.

Pete

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/30/20 10:15 a.m.

It's more of an indicator of who was bidding than what the car is actually worth.

A tidy way to box up pretty much every high dollar auction.  None of it makes sense, but at the end of the day it's real money that all came from somewhere. Probably a lot of somewheres.  It was more valuable when it was further down the chain, but once it gets sucked up to a certain level, it's just playdoh and surreal finance is real finance because it doesn't really matter anymore, not like it did at the bottom. 

I can get annoyed by transactions like this but I'll never be more annoyed by a single auction than I am by the circumstances that produce them. I can only hope the flipper who sextupled his money in a month isn't quite in that club, so that the play money maybe got redistributed downward a bit, back to where it's real money. It would be better than nothing.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
1/30/20 4:11 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Anyone know the sellers name? I have heard rumors on the Sweedspeed forum of a gentleman of questionable ethics, who after a stay at the crowbar hotel, had moved over to BAT and specializing in flipping 240Zs.

Just a thought.

Pete

I saw some of that too, but it's not the seller of this one. The crooked guy is 240guild on BAT

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
1/30/20 4:16 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I wonder what a Nissan factory restored 240z from a few years ago would go for ?

One sold on BAT in July for 101,240

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/30/20 4:23 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Wicked93gs said:

No crazier than that Bullit mustang selling for 3.7 Million(but then I just don't see how actors having driven a car add any value to the car itself, some people pay for that nonsense though)

You’ll guys will flame me but I still say it’s a well executed fake.  No way McQueen wrote and asked to buy it back. It doesn’t make sense.  I don’t care what the “documents” say.  They can make documents that say anything.  Remember Hitler’s diaries about 20 or so years ago?  They fooled a lot of “experts”.

It's the real car alright.  You can see where the camera mounts bolt on under the floor and where the new paint was hit with brillo pads to make it not look new etc.  I've met the owner (now previous owner) and seen touched the car when it was at Ford for filming with Molly McQueen.  Also for it to get into the Historic Vehicle Registry they need to be 100% sure of it's provinance.  It's not like the 'found in Mexico car' which could be anything. This was was with the same family for nearly 50 years with no gaps in history.  It was never lost or forgotten, the same family had it, knew they had it, but didn't make a big public scene about it until 2018.

Back to the 240Z,  While I'm often baffled by high proces for collector De Jour, I'm even more confused by this one.  I'm failing to see what makes this work 50% more than even the best of other 240Z's that have been sold.  Unless proff comes that Jesus himself was conceived in it, I'm not understanding this one even more than other silly high prices.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/30/20 4:26 p.m.

Proof you don't need to be a supercar company to have an in-house resto shop.

Although it may sound hard to believe, but the first Mazda MX-5 Miatas are nearly 30 years old, and so Mazda figures some owners wouldn't mind having their roadsters restored to their original condition. Assuming you've got the budget for it, Mazda will now do the job for you, but you also have to live in Japan. There's always a catch. First revealed by Japanese Nostalgic Car, Mazda has announced (on its Japanese language website) that it'll begin accepting owner applications in order for their beloved NA Miatas to receive some love and attention.

So, is opportunity knocking  for those that want to send a few Miatae in for a refresh and cash in 20 years later?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/30/20 4:45 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
californiamilleghia said:

I wonder what a Nissan factory restored 240z from a few years ago would go for ?

One sold on BAT in July for 101,240

If I recall the cost to restore was around 30k at the time, so the gross return on investment would be 6.3%. Then we start subtracting cost to store and maintain the car over the 20 years you waited to sell. Be lucky to break 5% net. Are capital gains due on this?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XYjspp13wViBYvCIsXWopVs98L50GdGZdQruDfMMbAqIcKqjI6VIY1aIyWSvASNF