1 2 3
enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
10/18/23 4:47 p.m.

I've seen some pretty cool 3d printing threads along with other CAD related work people have incorporated into their projects but have yet to come across a 3D scanning thread (mods please delete if my search skills just suck!) Feel free to post up any CAD related garage projects you might be working on! 

It seems scanning technology is now approaching grassroots territory with some decent scanners becoming much more affordable. I tried to use an Xbox Kinect years ago with mixed results. Since then, my only exposure to scanners has been at work and probably cost a years salary. However, I recently learned about a more affordable scanner (Einstar Shining 3D) that seems well suited for DIY vehicular projects and picked one up. I have to say, I'm impressed with the results. Accuracy is better than I need, the software is intuitive, and scanning is relatively easy. I'm playing around with a potential engine swap project and feel like this is going to save a lot of time with test fits:

If anybody lurking is doing something similar, please share! Could definitely use a place to bounce some ideas around.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/18/23 4:52 p.m.

That is way cool. I now have a new product to learn about.

In the meantime, I could use a scan of something the size of a smartphone (very small Pelican case). Pelican does not have interior geometry available for thus little thing. Could I talk you into making a scan?

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
10/18/23 4:58 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

That is way cool. I now have a new product to learn about.

In the meantime, I could use a scan of something the size of a smartphone (very small Pelican case). Pelican does not have interior geometry available for thus little thing. Could I talk you into making a scan?

I am considering doing scans as sort of a small side hustle to fund this scanner and would be totally open to it. However, I don't think this scanner is well suited to small objects...it seems to do best with a larger field of view. Pockets also seem to be an issue (I don't think it's unique to this scanner) so internal features might be tricky. Feel free to shoot me an email with a pic and rough dimensions and I can try it out on something similar and let you know! 

Edit:

Here's a scan that's larger than your case but has internal features. You can see where some of the features had to stitch together to close the surface of the mesh. Essentially if the scanner can't generate the points that define a pocket, software has to 'guess' at the geometry in the region with missing or light point cloud data. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/18/23 5:11 p.m.

I would love some hands on experience for some of the entry level stuff out there.

Maybe an article in the future?

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/18/23 5:39 p.m.

I've been looking for a good diy scanner. Any additional suggestions? 

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
10/18/23 6:25 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I've heard good things about the Revopoint scanners but the software and way I'd be using the scanner led me to the Einstar

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/18/23 6:26 p.m.

What engine is going in that MGB chassis? Ford something I am guessing.

This is even more cooler than a foam block for doing swaps.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
10/18/23 6:38 p.m.

Looks like an Ecoboost, MX5 6 speed, going into a chrome bumper MGB.  Can't tell if it's a roadster or GT, need more of the scuttle showing.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
10/18/23 6:44 p.m.

I was told the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max plus others   had lidar which can be used as a scanner ,

Anyone use an iPhone for scanning and if so which app ?

Thanks

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
10/18/23 6:48 p.m.
RoddyMac17 said:

Looks like an Ecoboost, MX5 6 speed, going into a chrome bumper MGB.  Can't tell if it's a roadster or GT, need more of the scuttle showing.

You're spot on...2.0L Ecoboost and MGB roadster 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/18/23 7:38 p.m.

In reply to enginenerd :

Can you go in more detail about your experience with software ui/ux?

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
10/18/23 9:02 p.m.

How much is that scanner? Those models are ridiculously good.

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
10/18/23 10:39 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to enginenerd :

Can you go in more detail about your experience with software ui/ux?

This scanner itself is very easy to use, basically three buttons and it does a pretty good job letting you know if you are at the correct range or if there is a tracking issue. The software is intuitive, seems stable, and is decently powerful. It has some cool features such as merging/aligning several scans taken at different orientations, being able to delete sections of the point cloud before meshing, etc. I find the UI clear, helpful, and pretty well thought out. I basically watched one video (link below) as an overview instead of reading any documentation. I opened the box, calibrated the scanner, and had my first scan (the transmission pictured above) within an hour or so. 

I'm pretty pleased with the scanner at this price point but I would say it's biggest shortcoming is with small objects. Other challenges (which are not unique to this scanner) are getting good data for shiny surfaces or pockets, both of which you can work around easy enough. I think the biggest shortcoming of the software is that it's not very efficient at data management — files can get ridiculously large if you keep pausing and restarting the scan. What I've been doing is using the included software to align scans, then exporting the point cloud and using other free 3rd party software to generate simplified meshes that I export as .stl for CAD use. 

If you want a good overview, I highly recommend this video:

The best Consumer 3D Scanner? Einstar full review…

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
10/18/23 10:47 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

How much is that scanner? Those models are ridiculously good.

I can't remember exactly but I think MSRP was around the $900 range. Still not cheap, but significantly less than other scanners I've seen that can produce quality models. I bought it on sale as well as used a promo code I found and got a pretty good deal. I have seen them used for quite a bit less. 

The caveat is you need a decent computer to run it. I drag my old pc out to the garage whenever scanning something large laugh

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/18/23 11:05 p.m.

$900 is CHEAP for a scanner like this.  Following, and very much considering grabbing one of those.

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
10/19/23 12:06 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

$900 is CHEAP for a scanner like this.  Following, and very much considering grabbing one of those.

True...I was in awe considering the last scanner I used was like 50k and about the same quality but that was a few years ago. 

JFW75
JFW75 New Reader
10/19/23 4:42 a.m.

I've used Polycam a few times for "work" related projects. Worked well enough with an Pixel phone for scanning parts at a factory in Sierra Leone. Somethings need some dirt on them to come out better. Figure 3-4 walk arounds to get details. Play with it a bit to make sure you get all the areas you need.

You can pay by the month, ~$20 USD or less. Gets you good enough to measure angles and dimensions from. 
120 Liter cast Aluminum pot for an improved stove project.
https://poly.cam/capture/ab791f01-34ee-48fe-abdb-393a911efb9f
https://poly.cam/capture/50d37026-bbf8-42f6-b18d-ebfac62730b5

and the stove it goes in:
https://poly.cam/capture/b33103ca-328f-44a9-8e1f-2b25afb2c7e3

So long as you are using the paid version, you can get step files to pull into Fusion 360 and use them to model from. Worked well enough for our needs. 

Dusting shiny parts with flour helps a lot.
https://poly.cam/capture/e1f1c3a1-dc98-4427-966c-cb4f22bd7b44

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/19/23 6:31 a.m.

In reply to enginenerd :

I really appreciate this! I have a brand new hp omen that I use for my 3d printing, rendering, and data engineering. It should be up to the task. I'll certainly be looking for sales on this scanner. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/19/23 9:44 a.m.

Very cool. I was just having a discussion about scanning things with another board member yesterday. This seems like a great piece of tech for what we were discussing.

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
10/19/23 11:02 a.m.

It has proved itself very useful so far. I haven't been able to spend much time in the garage lately but have been able to identify a bunch of problems before even trying anything with hardware. 

A good example of this is realizing the intake manifold I had planned to use will foul the steering shaft. It took all of about 10 minutes to make a quick design envelope around the shaft and find a way to shift the powertrain to clear it. I can't imagine how many tries this would have taken with the actual engine, and a lot of sheet metal would need to be cut out of the way first. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
10/19/23 11:04 a.m.

That's a timely thread!  I just picked up an Einstar too.  Came in last week and I'm just starting to mess around with it.

Coincident with the scanner I've been learning the ScanTo3D tool in Solidworks.  I like having the basic STL files to drop into a model for interference checks, but extracting valuable surface data is what really excites me.

I also have a 2.0 EcoBoost + Miata 6 spd project going on.  Apparently we have lots in common.

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
10/19/23 11:18 a.m.
TVR Scott said:

I also have a 2.0 EcoBoost + Miata 6 spd project going on.  Apparently we have lots in common.

Let me know if you want any of the data I've already scanned. I have the 2.0L EcoBoost (as pictured w/ dry sump), stock turbo, NC miata 6 speed, 2.3L mustang intake manifold and oil pan, and some other bits. Would love to see how you end up using the scanner if you feel like posting — always looking for ideas!

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
10/19/23 12:28 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I was told the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max plus others   had lidar which can be used as a scanner ,

Anyone use an iPhone for scanning and if so which app ?

Thanks

Yes it does work. We have started using scaniverse to get 3d scans of our race car. I was very impressed with it, but we haven't actually done anything with the scans yet. Other than just looking at it, and agreeing that it's cool.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
10/20/23 12:11 p.m.

Here's the mesh for the hinge I've been working on so far:

I cleaned it up a little in Mesh-mixer and then brought it into Solidworks.  I'm actually going to re-scan it, since my thickness came out wrong.  Try a few different orientations.  But this has been a good learning project so far.

I used the MeshTo3D tools, extracted some faces, and built a solid:

Checking with the Deviation Analysis tool, it's pretty close.  Not perfect, but for a first try I'm pretty happy.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
10/20/23 12:17 p.m.

Excellent thread topic! I only just found out about the Einstar and similar options in time to stop myself from buying a desktop when it turns out I'll probably want to take my graphics card (and the box it came in) out to the shop regularly...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sqptolr07utGXgy5ZWJadwFdM6TXKItADKHydRpfPSAwGT8AMClU2vc7s28AXuUa