1 2 3
jstand
jstand Reader
7/13/13 8:15 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Those overhangs... *puke*

Maybe its my age, or years of driving pickups, or that that was new when I was in school, but the overhangs don't strike me as excessive or a problem for driving.

I can remember the complaints about new cars in the mid to late 80s where people hated not being able to see the front of the hood, but now most people don't even notice that the car disappears from the drivers view where the windshield meets the dash.

You just need to be able to judge where the nose of the car is so you don't damage it on curbs or in parking lots.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/13/13 9:26 a.m.

So it looks to me like 3rd gen is currently winning. This is suiting, considering I like big hair and hair metal bands.

I've driven both 3rd gen and 4th gen Camaros, and my father and I have owned three 4th gens. I LIKE THEM A LOT. They are perfect (and one chick once made the comment that it looks like I was meant to drive one, I took that as a compliment).

But being in Canuckistan, these cars are expensive... in fact, 3rd Camaro's are worth more than 4th gens up here typically.

The blue one I pictured is bone stock, motor has been rebuilt. It's what I think is a reasonable price for being so clean and rust free. Realistically, I'd probably end up eventually putting in a 350, throwing a procharger at it, and enjoying it. I just need a car to cruise in, I've been spending all my money racing the past two years and since I got rid of the jdm STi my cruising around the city has dropped drastically which sucks.

Slippery
Slippery Reader
7/13/13 9:36 a.m.
alex wrote:
Slippery wrote: Third gen all day. Although I like the earlier Iroc-Z with the big lettering on the door and the black grills on the hood.
Add louvres on the rear glass and I'm in.

This has "alex" written all over it:

Slippery
Slippery Reader
7/13/13 9:38 a.m.

I would rock this :D

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
7/13/13 10:26 a.m.

I think a 3500 minimum bid is a bit out of line on this one.

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/lcgi/salvage_bid_site/comp_details.cgi?stock_num=N131372&store=North Battleford

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/13/13 11:30 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I think a 3500 minimum bid is a bit out of line on this one.

Not really if it runs and drives and has no rust. Rednecks love these cars, rednecks + oil money = ridiculous prices

And it's autotragic, ugh. The cars are slow enough as it is!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
7/13/13 12:02 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: And it's autotragic, ugh. The cars are slow enough as it is!

Given the TPI's torque curve (it feels like they should have put the motor in a C20 instead of a Camaro) and that even in the '80s, GM was one of the best automatic transmission makers out there, I wouldn't pass up a Camaro for having an automatic.

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
7/13/13 12:29 p.m.

Yeah a little work and that 700r4 isn't a bad box in that car. But you won't be doing much Autox or road course work with it.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
7/13/13 12:34 p.m.

You couldn't get the 5.7 with a manual. The T5 was only rated for 300ft-lb so if you wanted a manual, you got a 5.0.

I think the only people who bought the 5.0/manual option were club racers who had to fit under a 305ci limit.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
7/13/13 12:44 p.m.

I've heard those 3rd gen convertibles were extremely floppy cars. They do look nice with the top down but I'd go with a 4th gen if a cloth top is required.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/13/13 1:01 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
You couldn't get the 5.7 with a manual. The T5 was only rated for 300ft-lb so if you wanted a manual, you got a 5.0. I think the only people who bought the 5.0/manual option were club racers who had to fit under a 305ci limit.

Absolutely. That's why eventually, I'd probably swap in a 350 in place of the 305. And then put in some sort of built t5 (gforce or the like).

As for going with or without an automatic, I don't do auto's so it is a moot point.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/13/13 1:34 p.m.
pres589 wrote: 3rd gen, although I want to think a 4th gen V6 convertible with a manual trans could be nice, with the 3800 and not the 3.4. I actually moved one in and out of a shop I worked in for a little while and found myself liking.

I cant believe there are now 3 people in this thread who feel this way. A 3.8/5spd convertible 4th gen is the 4th gen i like the most!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/13/13 1:59 p.m.

I really liked the IROC-era Camaros (much better that the newer blue one shown above) and I never liked the fourth generation, although I'm sure that they are much better cars.

But I'm pretty sure that if you need to remove the engine in a fourth generation car, it has to come out from below. That alone would be a major factor in my decision. Gone are the days of renting an engine hoist and doing a swap in the driveway.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/13/13 2:09 p.m.
Woody wrote: Gone are the days of renting an engine hoist and doing a swap in the driveway.

We have a 40x50 shop with a couple lifts. Not too worried about any of that stuff.

Interesting that you like the older 3rd gen vs the later, then again, I've always loved the angular over the top boy racer stuff.

Somebody mentioned a Firebird/Trans Am... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. So few were sold up here, it's about 100:1 ratio of Camaro's to firechicken's. My dream Firebird is a 4th gen ls1 trans am, super aggressive looking with the hood and dat ass!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/13/13 2:14 p.m.

I never liked any Firebirds after the second generation.

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
7/13/13 2:24 p.m.

I will say this, I've always wanted to take a slicktop 4th gen, drop the block from a 3800sc car in, with a pair of worked heads, a built T-5 (never researched a T-56, maybe I should) megasquirt and a big single or a pair of moderately sized twin turbos and just daily that beast. lightweight flywheel to help it spin up quicker, nice quiet exhaust and you would have a hell of a sleeper.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
7/13/13 3:00 p.m.

I had an 86 Trans Am 305 TPI with an auto. . .VERY solid and stable at 140mph. Not the quickest car by any means but the manors at way illegal speeds where excellent. I still much prefer second gen cars however. Had a mildly built 79' T/A that was solidly in the 12's without the N2O, but was not as happy cruising at high speeds.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/13/13 4:16 p.m.
But I'm pretty sure that if you need to remove the engine in a fourth generation car, it has to come out from below. That alone would be a major factor in my decision. Gone are the days of renting an engine hoist and doing a swap in the driveway.

On a lot of my cars, i take the engine out the bottom because i like it better that way.. But most of them dont involve ALSO taking the entire lower suspension out with it..

Will
Will Dork
7/13/13 4:44 p.m.

Given that 4th gen LS1/6-speed cars have hit the $5k mark, I'd have a hard time spending money on a third gen or LT1 car.

But I'm biased. This is mine, from the hotlink thread. I'm not going to claim it's gorgeous, and it has a lot of shortcomings, but it is silly fun to drive.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/13/13 5:00 p.m.
Will wrote: Given that 4th gen LS1/6-speed cars have hit the $5k mark, I'd have a hard time spending money on a third gen or LT1 car.

Not in Canuckistan they aren't It's rare to find a worthwhile (beat to crap but useable) LT1 car for that much. I did (a red 95 but it has t-tops) for $3500 and it'd be perfect.

Its basically either the red 95 lt1 6 speed vs the blue 92 5.0L 5 speed. The 92 is in much better shape, but the 95 is MOAR fasts.

Which is why this discussion was mainly to be about the aesthetics of each generation I personally like them both and won't be sad about either.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
7/13/13 5:07 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
On a lot of my cars, i take the engine out the bottom because i like it better that way.. But most of them dont involve ALSO taking the entire lower suspension out with it..

Provided that you have a lift, it's really not that bad to do. Makes it a lot easier in some respects.

Heck, when I had to do a weekend engine rebuild in the RX-7, I just jacked the car up really high and dropped the whole drivetrain out the bottom.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
7/13/13 11:46 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

You can get the motor out of the top with a Happy Hooker (this is a real thing, made by TPIS, I think). I have one. Super gadget.

Vracer111
Vracer111 New Reader
7/14/13 6:24 p.m.

I much prefer the looks of the 4th gen over the 3rd gen, 1st gen is the best looking camaro generation though...

Camaro Generation Looks scale: Best - Generation I Next Best - Generation 4 Kinda okay - Generation 5 Meh - Generation 3 Dont Like - Generation 2

4th Generation Camaro is an amazing handling car for its size though, and the best handling Camaro generation to me (once you upgrade the worn out components), and the '98 RS Hardtop I had was the first year they had the same large size disc brakes as the V8 cars, those brakes are awesome on track with track orientated pads on a lightened car.

The 4th Gen RS Hardtop track car I use to have:

4th gens suck to work on for Engine/drivetrain work....and seriously 3 different types/systems of fasteners used on the front shock towers that you have to deal with when removing the shocks...English, Metric, and Allen...brilliant guys.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/14/13 10:15 p.m.
4th gens suck to work on for Engine/drivetrain work.

Which is one reason i prefer the 3.8.

Also surprised to hear someone put 2g last place in looks. I think a well-done 2g is the BEST looking camaro.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/15/13 2:11 p.m.

i like driving my POS 86 Camaro... it has a certain kind of "something" about it that makes it fun to drive... it will be even better after i add the aluminum 5.3, a manual trans of some sort, rebuild the worn out suspension, and stiffen up the body structure with a combination of seam welding, subframe connectors, and triangulation under the hood..

i've driven a few 4th gens- 2 LT1 powered (one auto, one 6 speed) and a 3.4 V6/5 speed car-and i hated them... yes, they have decent power, but they also just flat out suck to drive.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SaK0LrreEn4D5JlvdNTKqcI7upg1m348pqxbJxC5MHdojmuW6oGCJKGLQxG8fWNw