RussellH
RussellH New Reader
8/27/08 10:45 a.m.

I know the new Tundras were $5k off too some time ago but the smaller and mid-sized trucks were holding their prices quite steadily. Now Carsdirect.com is showing you can get the new Frontiers with $5k off the MSRP for a limited time. $24k truck for $19k is not a bad deal at all if you're looking for a mid-sized truck. My first choice for a mid-sized truck will be the Tacoma of course but the frontiers have more power, use a full boxed frame and you can get them in 139in wheel base and they look almost as nice as the Tacomas too.

I'm feeling tempted myself. Anyone has anything bad to say about them?

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/27/08 4:00 p.m.

Ford offers $2,500 off on a Ranger, plus an additional $1,000 off if you finance with Ford Credit (until the day after Labor Day). I had looked at a 4 cylinder Ranger Supercab....too long, it sold. Had a "sticker price", with ALL rebates applied, of about $15,500. Admittedly, it was a lo-buck, XL, rubber on the floor truck, but with it's beige/gold paint, it was very "elemental" looking.

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
8/27/08 5:16 p.m.

its a bad time to try to sell a truck. back in june, I heard an ad on the radio when I was on vacation, "purchase a new nissan titan, get a new nissan altima FREE". we heard the ad several times.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
8/28/08 7:30 a.m.

I comparison shopped both the tundra and the Frontier about a year and a half ago and I like the backseat of the Nissan much better, I liked most of the fit and finish stuff of the interior better. If I can recall the towing was better on the frontier also. If the six speed was easier to find I would be driving one today (and prob kicking myself about the MPG's), I'm just waiting for the used prices to comedown more so I can afford it as a third or fifith car.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/28/08 7:51 a.m.

saw something on Auto Blog Green yesterday about the residual values of a 2004 F150 vs a 2004 Prius.

The F150 was worth Half of what the Prius was, even though it had a $4k higher start price.

Something like $9k for the truck and $18k for the Prius

iceracer
iceracer Reader
8/28/08 8:50 a.m.

If anybody wants a truck, now is the time to buy.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington New Reader
8/28/08 10:36 a.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote: I comparison shopped both the tundra and the Frontier about a year and a half ago and I like the backseat of the Nissan much better, I liked most of the fit and finish stuff of the interior better. If I can recall the towing was better on the frontier also.

i think you mean the Tacoma and the Frontier. the Tundra is a wee bit more serious of a truck, and more akin to the Titan.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/28/08 11:21 a.m.
oldschoolimport wrote: its a bad time to try to sell a truck. back in june, I heard an ad on the radio when I was on vacation, "purchase a new nissan titan, get a new nissan altima FREE". we heard the ad several times.

WTF could the hitch there be??? Free 6-moth lease???

Seems a wee bit extreme...

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/28/08 3:32 p.m.
ignorant wrote: saw something on Auto Blog Green yesterday about the residual values of a 2004 F150 vs a 2004 Prius. The F150 was worth Half of what the Prius was, even though it had a $4k higher start price. Something like $9k for the truck and $18k for the Prius

a friend of mine picked up a ford f-150 v6 longbed for a little over 9k about 6 months ago. I think it had 5k miles on it and the only option was ac i think but still..... screaming deal imo.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/28/08 3:44 p.m.

Was that Ford for 9 large new? That's like stealing it. I mean, I have five large in my '88 20v AE92 Rolla, once you add up all the little stuff.

EPcivic
EPcivic New Reader
8/28/08 5:01 p.m.
gamby wrote:
oldschoolimport wrote: its a bad time to try to sell a truck. back in june, I heard an ad on the radio when I was on vacation, "purchase a new nissan titan, get a new nissan altima FREE". we heard the ad several times.
WTF could the hitch there be??? Free 6-moth lease??? Seems a wee bit extreme...

The deal was buy a Titan at MSRP and get a 2yr lease on an Altima for free.

I've also seen ads for a straight 40% off MSRP on the Titan and 30% on the Frontier. Definately seems like a pretty good time to buy a truck if you need one.

-Chris

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/28/08 5:42 p.m.

Even as long as last september, you could get an Xterra for 7k off....as that's what I got ours for. Year-end, plus slow sales = good deals.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
8/28/08 9:24 p.m.
Buzz Killington wrote: i think you mean the Tacoma and the Frontier. the Tundra is a *wee* bit more serious of a truck, and more akin to the Titan.

You are correct sir!

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/29/08 8:09 a.m.

A local Ford dealer is advertising $12,500 off an "F series" truck (probably a VERY loaded F-250) and a Toyota dealer here is offering up to $8,000 off on Tundras. For some strange reason, no one "seems" to be advertising any substantial discounts on SUVs...not even HUMMERs, tho the local HUMMER dealer advertises that an H3 is caable of up to 22 MPG. I don't read the local 'paper all that much, so I don't know what the print ads are offering, locally. I do know most dealers are running short (or never had much inventory to begin with) of smallish trucks. Some Ford dealers are out of '08 Rangers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4qBmrkHRLNgIN6OykVtmZvXEPkK018SfcmhseiOXP2zDdxa0nD0YMBRBywBiAGyA