Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
6/9/24 11:24 p.m.

Codes 1

Codes 2

I was driving the car today (2000 Boxster base) and stopped to fill it up with gas, and I went to start it again and would crank but not start.  After waiting for a tow truck for about 90 minutes I tried starting it again and it started normally and drove home.  I checked the codes when I got home and it has a long list of alarm codes, which I suspect is probably what caused the issue (or at least is related).  Does anyone have any suggestions of how to start troubleshooting this? After reading a bit online, I think for a car I bought for $5900 it probably isn't going to be worth fixing, but I'd like to find out as much as I can before deciding what to do.  If it's dead I can't really complain too much, I have put 25k miles on it in the last ~3 years with pretty much no other issues so I probably got my moneys worth out of it.  

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/10/24 12:40 a.m.

With that many codes for the central locking unit (immobilizer box under the driver's seat), I'd expect that it has either become corroded or the connection has an issue.

Slide the seat forward  and lift the back edge of the carpet. Is it soaked underneath?

Remove the driver's seat. ***Warnings*** You should disconnect the battery. If you have a stock radio (CDR 210) it will need the unlock code when you reconnect the battery. If you have the battery connected while the seat harness is unplugged and turn the key, you will get an airbag fault.

Remove the module (usually labelled M535) and check if the connector is loose or corroded.

Open the module and inspect for corrosion or damage.

I have cleaned light corrosion with alcohol/electronic parts cleaner and a soft brush and successfully restored function. If it still started and ran normally, chances are corrosion is still repairable if it's the problem.

If it is damaged or corroded badly, I'll discuss other options after you report back.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
6/10/24 1:36 a.m.

Thanks, also idk why every time I post on here it creates a duplicate.  I will check that out and see what I can find out.  I don't have the radio code so I have never been able to use the radio while I had the car so I guess that's no big deal. 

The car has definitely had issues with the alarm for a while, it does something different every time I unlock the door (honk once or twice, open one door or both, window goes down to clear the top or not, trunk unlocks or doesn't etc).  

Someone else mentioned having this happen and that it was an evap system issue and replacing the regeneration valve under the intake fixed it.  That would at least be a cheaper part, but idk how I'd reach it because the top mechanism is broken and I can't reach it to disconnect it.  I did see your video about how you did it but I tried and I just can't get it.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
6/10/24 3:43 p.m.

I had the same issue with my 911 and it was an evap valve.  I'm not sure if the 996 and 986 share the same emissions systems, but I'd look there first.

6/10/24 4:37 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

I had the same issue with my 911 and it was an evap valve. ...

An evap valve will cause a crank - no start, then start after a while, but it will not cause the codes shown in the two linked images.

6/10/24 5:52 p.m.

Regarding the top, if you can't get the bolt that holds the arms to the transmission, you can try using a very long screwdriver to pop the clip off that holds the clamshell arm. See post #10 in this thread:  http://www.986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/68939-stuck-convertible-top-manual-operation.html

For the radio code, I give a donation to renntech.org from time to time and prefer to ask for a radio code there. Read this FAQ (get the model and serial number), then use the link in the FAQ to request a code from Loren: https://www.renntech.org/topic/18982-lost-radio-code-faq-read-this-first/

Alternatively you can get the code from a dealership or vendors on eBay.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
6/10/24 6:10 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if both the alarm and evap system are causing problems.  As soon as I have time I am going to pull the seat and see if water got in the alarm module.  It worked fine when I first got the car but has started having intermittent issues, I don't think the carpet ever got wet but I will have to see.  If I can fix it without having to pay to have a new alarm module programmed then great, I think I could get a better car for cheaper than having someone else do it. 

On the top idk what I will do, I think I am just not strong enough to do it, I can hook something behind the rod and pull as hard as I can and it still won't come loose, and I can't even figure out how to get a socket on the center bolt.  I'm pretty sure it broke because the switch to stop it when it's closed failed so I would have to figure out why that happened too.  

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
6/10/24 7:13 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

That's assuming that the crank no start then start later is related to the immobilizer code.  It might be, but the no start after a fillup, which is what he has, is classic evap.

6/10/24 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

Until he can find a way to access the top of the engine it is Schrödinger's Regeneration Valve.

Tk8398, can you reset the fault codes? Do they all come back? ..or which ones come back.

spandak
spandak Dork
6/10/24 11:06 p.m.

Jon is the man around here so I have nothing to add but...

Johnny from The Late Brake show (youtube) had a video about his boxster doing similarish things though I can't confirm all of the symptoms. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=90UV2qQnC6E

if it's not helpful at least it's entertaining

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9TU9MY0aDYNgL1Yh8W0W4xoblI1nhaJRk32n4SyocM1OnkzAXHF9iXf3ecKfSWVA