curtis73
curtis73 HalfDork
12/9/09 11:24 p.m.

I have the opportunity to snag a convertible XK8 for relatively cheap. Its a 99 with 113k. It came to our shop and got a transmission rebuild and now she wants to sell it. She bought it a month ago, the tranny died, and now its back for a coolant leak.

Part of me wants to run (knowing the potential money pit status) but part of me knows I can snag a nice luxo ragtop for cheap.

Your thoughts on the 99 XK8? Its a 4.0L, blue with a blue top, cream leather, 113k and cosmetically nearly flawless. The only fault I noticed with it is that the driver's side power seat switch is failing.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
12/10/09 1:14 a.m.

if you can work on it.. snag it. If you have to farm it out.. run way

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
12/10/09 6:14 a.m.

I guess for me it would depend on how cheap is cheap. To have a Jag convertible would be really cool so you could always enjoy it for a while and then sell it. It sounds like you are in the car repair business so you have access to deal with any further issues. I can't beleive I am saying this but I say go for it.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
12/10/09 6:59 a.m.

A 99 still has Nikasil cylinders so at that mileage is about due to fail and require a new engine. If its already been replaced by the 2000.5 non-Nikasil block then go for it.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
12/10/09 8:09 a.m.

Take this with the usual grain of salt, but I believe that our current lower-sulphur fuels do less damage to the Nikasil liners, i.e., if that particular motor hasn't failed yet, it's probably not going to.

There are other must-do fixes, however, involving upgraded pulleys from the later generation (metal as opposed to plastic -- what a concept) and a weird spot of guaranteed corrosion under the passenger compartment because of an assembly line quirk. Easy fix, but you have to know about it to find it.

Jaguar World Monthly (link here) will set you up; check back issue for in-depth stuff on all the above & more.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
12/10/09 8:49 a.m.

They're hot. Not nearly as hot as the coupe, but hot nonetheless. If you can fix it yourself and it really is cheap, do it up, good sir.

marktmv
marktmv New Reader
12/10/09 11:31 a.m.

In reply to MiatarPowar:

Agree, XK8 coupe is infinitely better looking. I've been looking for one for a while now. They are pretty difficult to find (in the right colour/interior/price combination that is).

As for the '99 vert in question, things to watch out for: Nikasil deterioration (perform blow-by test before buying), timing chain tensioners (original should be replaced @ 100K mi), water pump (original were krap), throttle body issues (there was a recall I think) and lastly the convertible top mechanism which tends to leak. That said, I've seen early XK8's go for over 160K miles without major problems. And if Nikasil hasn't failed by now it will outlast the rest of the car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MOMxiWwQTapPc21UfyHx3SONNh49rkbVM3U1X0TYH7X3z3LZaTTEudV8zKnfb6kj