3 4 5
CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
9/20/24 5:47 p.m.

Can someone explain to me why Hoosier/Conti made this tire at a tread depth that's a no-go for SCCA? I'm confused.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/20/24 6:31 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Can someone explain to me why Hoosier/Conti made this tire at a tread depth that's a no-go for SCCA? I'm confused.

Asked and answered. Go back and read all my posts in this thread. 

TL;DR it is and always was designed as a streetable track day tire. Note the name.  Ignore the 200.  It is a competitor to SC3R, Cup 2R, Trofeo R. Hoosier sees that as a larger market than SCCA autocrosser and TT folks. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/20/24 7:29 p.m.

I wonder how much time difference there would be between the new Hoho and a Conti ECF for most of us mere mortals? The cost difference would certainly push me towards the ECF.

flyin_viata
flyin_viata New Reader
9/20/24 8:29 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I wonder how much time difference there would be between the new Hoho and a Conti ECF for most of us mere mortals? The cost difference would certainly push me towards the ECF.

The ECF is far and away the better value proposition, because they last *forever* for HPDE...they just aren't current Super 200 fast.  And it sounds like the TAP is at least SC3R/Trofeo R fast.

Here's what TireRack got from testing a bunch of track tires around Gingerman in 2022:

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/20/24 10:03 p.m.

In reply to flyin_viata :

Well, for the budget minded TireRack has old stock Bridgestones as low as $87, so that's an option. Lots of choices depending how close one wants to be to the pointy end of the field.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/20/24 10:07 p.m.
MiniDave said:

Anything available in a 13"?

I’ve lobbied for sticky, relatively inexpensive 13- and 14-inch tires in the past. A friend in the tire industry was like, David, do you know how much it costs to make just one mold? And then you have to build the tires–which usually means stopping production of the more common SKUs–and then ship and stock them.

So, I asked, what about importing something that already existed in an overseas market? He pointed back to the cost of shipping and storing the tires. He just couldn’t go to the mothership with a plan that didn’t look profitable. (His company does make race tires, though, just not in those small sizes.)

TRZ06
TRZ06 New Reader
9/21/24 1:16 a.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

So the question then becomes how quick do they come on?    One of the biggest differences between the 100TW class and the 200TW class (other than grip levels) are how quickly they come on.     200TW tires come on quick enough to actually be good for street use.  

While the SC3R's are amazing on track, it is actually worse to use than the standard SC3 because you can't get enough heat in them to "turn them on"

Can you comment on that with the Track Attacks?

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FG3czpihz1dc9YjEwilazLvQP1eT2TjsTukr509fPM20SM9naaAGq1DeSwQEd0wB