Tac
Tac New Reader
6/9/13 6:08 p.m.

There's a couple hours left on a 98 m3 that I want to bid on: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M3-NO-RESERVE-/181148806741?forcev4exp=true#ht_87082wt_1165

But it's been awhile since I've read anything significant on this car, and google really isn't turning up any quality results, not surprising.

Anyway the car is an automatic, but as far as I can tell, it's not an SMG model. So there's a couple questions I have.. The dealer states that the car is shiftable, did the standard autos have that feature back then and is it remotely comparable to SMG? Secondly, I know that the first gen SMG's were plagued with problems, is that specific only to the SMG and can the standard auto be seen as more reliable?

Also, since the auction ends soon and I can't test drive any opinions on car handle and steering feedback is also appreciated. I need a 2nd car, a fun auto asap.

thanks

Slippery
Slippery Reader
6/9/13 6:24 p.m.

No such thing as factory SMG e36 in the US.

I have never personally driven an e36 M3 auto or a sedan, but I imagine the transmission is similar to a regular e36 auto.

I have a coupe e36 M3 and think it would make a good dd.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
6/9/13 7:14 p.m.

No interior or engine pics?? I might be worried about it being a 325 with the m3 body kit...

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
6/9/13 7:32 p.m.

Altogether different animal than an SMG. Electronic control of shift points on an automatic transmission by a switch. SMG is a manual transmission with hydraulic/electronic actuators. Looks like a cheap way to a potentially non-abused/modded m3. Probably over due for cooling system and motor mounts unless you see receipts it's been done recently.

Slippery
Slippery Reader
6/9/13 7:43 p.m.
Uncoiled wrote: No interior or engine pics?? I might be worried about it being a 325 with the m3 body kit...

There are a bunch of interior pictures. Thats a real M3

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/9/13 10:46 p.m.

Hmm... for sale in MD... but has a PA safety inspection sticker... and no emissions sticker... That would bother me.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
6/10/13 1:02 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Hmm... for sale in MD... but has a PA safety inspection sticker... and no emissions sticker... That would bother me.

Ding ding ding...and Motegi wheels? Really!?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/10/13 7:14 a.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Granted, I know some rural areas of PA don't do emissions inspections and only put a safety sticker on, but I would definitely want to do some research before bidding on that car. Could end up with a hefty bill to get the car to pass.

Unfortunately, my experience with my E30 has made me extremely leary of buying a car in PA that doesn't have current inspection.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
6/10/13 7:24 a.m.
Slippery wrote:
Uncoiled wrote: No interior or engine pics?? I might be worried about it being a 325 with the m3 body kit...
There are a bunch of interior pictures. Thats a real M3

Oops, there are, my bad I didn't see those the first time.

glueguy
glueguy Reader
6/10/13 8:59 p.m.

At a minimum the trunk lid is repainted. There should be a vin or barcode sticker that hides behind the license plate, and the spacing between the M and 3 is wrong.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fK9tdo6XbJ0kCbxSsWCVpLnf3tGJaxfFs9w1WI4WQbeQIqqZbUKKh1GbFYrl7Ylf