1 2 3
bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/30/12 10:10 a.m.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised by the amount of hate for this car. To me it looks like form following function, which I would think most people here would appreciate.
Don't get me wrong, it's fine with me that some like it and some don't, but some of you could help your case by actually stating what it is that you don't like. I'd just like to understand what it is you don't like, aside from the wheels, which I agree are supposed to resemble the original '69 Mach I wheels. I look at the build pics and can't help but love it for it's creativity and engineering, but that's just me.

knb13
knb13 Reader
10/30/12 10:16 a.m.

I love it- i think it's very cool.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/30/12 10:38 a.m.

Two things kept poping into my head.

Needs to have more build pictures

Someone PAID for all that work and all those parts.

Not for me to judge anyones automotive dream/fantasy. I really do respect the work being done.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
10/30/12 10:52 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I have to say I'm a bit surprised by the amount of hate for this car. To me it looks like form following function, which I would think most people here would appreciate. Don't get me wrong, it's fine with me that some like it and some don't, but some of you could help your case by actually stating what it is that you don't like. I'd just like to understand what it is you don't like, aside from the wheels, which I agree are supposed to resemble the original '69 Mach I wheels. I look at the build pics and can't help but love it for it's creativity and engineering, but that's just me.

I'm not much of an engineer, so I'd be hard pressed to give detailed feedback, but I'd certainly give it an "A" for creativity and effort. But from an aesthetics, desirability and "would I rock it?" standpoint, for me it's an "F". It just looks all wrong.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/30/12 10:52 a.m.

I like it, but it looks a little too much '06 GT with a Mustang grafted onto itand a not enough '69 Mustang with GT running gear, if that makes sense.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
10/30/12 10:58 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I like it, but it looks a little too much '06 GT with a Mustang grafted onto itand a not enough '69 Mustang with GT running gear, if that makes sense.

If you were going to go to all that trouble, why not put a more attractive front end on it? Ya know...one that looks like GT40?

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
10/30/12 11:06 a.m.
PHeller wrote:
Ian F wrote: I like it, but it looks a little too much '06 GT with a Mustang grafted onto itand a not enough '69 Mustang with GT running gear, if that makes sense.
If you were going to go to all that trouble, why not put a more attractive front end on it? Ya know...one that looks like GT40?

because then go get a GT40 and anybody that says they would not rock this, drive this, have it sit in their driveway because its ugly i cant believe it. to me that would be like saying i wouldnt do Miss America because she is a redhead, you may not like the style but its not ugly.

i just hope some day i will be able to build a car half as nice and radicial as this is

Cotton
Cotton Dork
10/30/12 11:10 a.m.

I think it's awesome....I prefer the wheels without the center caps.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/30/12 11:14 a.m.
cutter67 wrote:
PHeller wrote:
because then go get a GT40 and anybody that says they would not rock this, drive this, have it sit in their driveway because its ugly i cant believe it. to me that would be like saying i wouldnt do Miss America because she is a redhead, you may not like the style but its not ugly. i just hope some day i will be able to build a car half as nice and radicial as this is

You fail to understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't care for the size 2 "could use a chesseburger buffet" types that many seem to enjoy.

The only reason I would have it in my driveway is if I got it for free, then I would sell it to buy something that I enjoyed looking at.

I appreciate someone building the car, I just think the lines and proportions are all wrong.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
10/30/12 11:21 a.m.

Very very nice.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/30/12 11:27 a.m.
PHeller wrote:

Because:

"Mustang Mach 40

Originally a 1969 Mach 1, the goal was to create a what-if mid-engine concept car. The idea: put a '69 Mach 1 and 2006 GT 40 super car together, incorporating the modern Ford technology into the body of a Mach 1.

The car was being built to be a one off, but also built to perform. The power train, a 5.4 liter dual overhead cam GT super car motor, was upgraded so it has a Wipple 4 liter super charge along with drive by wire throttle. In addition the motor was converted to a flex-fuel system.

The base horsepower can be dialed in, literally there is a dial control in the car, from 600 to 850 HP. It also has auto and manual traction control.

It was important to keep the body style a true-to-its-roots 1969 Mach 1, they did not want a modern looking car."

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
10/30/12 11:28 a.m.

They ruined a perfectly good Ford GT.

The GT's proportions are too low and too wide to accommodate a Mustang look. That grille looks absurd, the driving lights don't look like they're in the right place, the wheels are terrible. It doesn't work for me at all.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/30/12 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Alan Cesar:

The grille is pretty much the stock Mustang grille, just slightly widened.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
10/30/12 11:33 a.m.
cutter67 wrote: anybody that says they would not rock this, drive this, have it sit in their driveway because its ugly i cant believe it. to me that would be like saying i wouldnt do Miss America because she is a redhead, you may not like the style but its not ugly. i just hope some day i will be able to build a car half as nice and radicial as this is

There have been some real fugly Miss Americas over the years...I wouldn't do them just because they had the title of "Miss America". And I happen to have a weak spot for redheads...OK, my wife isn't a redhead, but I made an exception for her...

No doubt it's radical, has incredible engineering, took a lot of creativity, etc... Have complete respect for that. But if someone were to ask me if I'd want to buy one, no way.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
10/30/12 11:33 a.m.

I think it's awesome.

As for the big wheels, I think it's wide enough and low enough to incorporate them just fine.

Very creative project.

Alan Cesar
10/30/12 12:35 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Alan Cesar: The grille is pretty much the stock Mustang grille, just slightly widened.

And that's the problem.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
10/30/12 12:37 p.m.

I'm in the like group. The wheels definitely need to go away

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/30/12 1:17 p.m.

Best looking Mach 1 I've ever seen, but I've never been a fan of those cars. i think the concept and execution is great. Slight caveat on the wheels though, I like the idea, but they should have kept them at 18" not gone for the steam roller look

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/30/12 1:45 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Alan Cesar: The grille is pretty much the stock Mustang grille, just slightly widened.
And that's the problem.

Well alrighty then! You don't like the look of a '69 Mustang (at least the grille), so now I understand why you don't like this one either. I think it's the best looking Mustang ever, so there you go.

Alan Cesar
10/30/12 1:52 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

I think the 'stang is a great-looking car. But when it's widened, the proportions are all way off. It just doesn't look right, I tells ya.

edit: and now I know why. It's not slightly widened. It's widened by, like, 8 inches.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/30/12 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Alan Cesar:

No problem, you're certainly allowed to be wrong.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/30/12 3:42 p.m.

I really like it. I bet the pictures really don't do it justice. It just looks like it would have presence in real life that we can't capture in pictures.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/30/12 4:35 p.m.
PHeller wrote:

Because I understand what they were going after and along those lines, I like it. Much the same way I like mid engine Mini conversions. I just wish they could have made it look more like a Mustang and less like a rebodied GT.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
10/30/12 5:51 p.m.

Love everything about it. And I hate Ferds.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
10/30/12 5:57 p.m.

I think it bugs me somehow to retain a front end whose design was partially influenced by engine placement when there's no longer an engine there...

I do kinda like it, but that and the proportions sort of leave me with some misgivings...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L6zr07a0jL2DYMCNlxMUsr9hOSM7NojRvUKRPes2ZHaQMRQGPNaLM5zRTLveEJy0