Tac
Tac New Reader
9/4/15 11:27 a.m.

I'm looking to spend about $5k and currently have my list narrowed to the following:

Porsche 944

E30 325i

E36 3 series

I test drove a couple 944's, but I haven't been able to find any local e30's or e36's (in good condition and in my budget) as of yet. The 944 I'm considering is going for $4.2k, but I'm thinking it will need a timing belt or engine work in the near future. The owner recommended not to rev past 4krpm and stated that it would need the belt replaced fairly soon.

Overall, I'm just looking for a communicative corner carver. Something that provides good feedback through the wheel and chassis, and handles well. It will be the main car that I drive, but I work from home so it will mostly be for leisure and the occasional autox.

I'd hate to do it, but if I go the e30 or e36 route I might have to buy via the net sight unseen. That would be a last resort, but either way please let me know how all of these cars compare. Any additional recommendations? No Miata though

thanks

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/4/15 11:35 a.m.

Z3?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/4/15 12:38 p.m.

Of the 3 you listed, E36 M3...We are good at finding things like this if you would fill out your location on your profile and tell us how far you are willing to go...

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
9/4/15 1:37 p.m.

e36 m3 is my vote too.

Tac
Tac New Reader
9/4/15 1:59 p.m.

I'm in Pittsburgh PA and able to travel to Ohio, West Virginia and other parts of western PA. I don't think an m3 would be in my budget though? I was thinking 328 or 325 e36.

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
9/4/15 4:03 p.m.

99 m3 108k miles black on black coupe - $3200 ASK

Auto, but looks nice. I'm sure a manual swap is within $1800 if you do it yourself. Otherwise, there are plenty like this around in manual too if you wait a bit.

Tac
Tac New Reader
9/9/15 12:40 p.m.

Thanks, I definitely wouldn't have been opposed to doing a swap in the future. But, I think he's listing a standard 328 as an M3. He has the exterior bits, but I don't see any M3 badging on the interior. Plus, he never responded to me when I asked if he had any pics of the engine bay.

So after a good month of searching local I decided to grab a 944 off of ebay and won this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3W2zcus1GA&feature=youtu.be

I'm having it shipped. Does anyone have any experience in transferring titles without both parties present? I'm assuming he would have to get the title notarized before sending it to me?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/9/15 12:44 p.m.
Tac wrote: Thanks, I definitely wouldn't have been opposed to doing a swap in the future. But, I think he's listing a standard 328 as an M3. He has the exterior bits, but I don't see any M3 badging on the interior. Plus, he never responded to me when I asked if he had any pics of the engine bay. So after a good month of searching local I decided to grab a 944 off of ebay and won this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3W2zcus1GA&feature=youtu.be I'm having it shipped. Does anyone have any experience in transferring titles without both parties present? I'm assuming he would have to get the title notarized before sending it to me?

Yeah, get everything signed and dated there with a notary. As well as a bill of sale. Might cost the seller a notary.

Furious_E
Furious_E Reader
9/9/15 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Tac:

As far as I recall, bringing a car titled out of state into PA doesn't even require a notarized signature from the seller. Just make sure they signed in the right place and the signed name matches that on the title.

Also, I know its a bit late now and I'm not sure what you actually paid for the 944, but I sure hope you have room leftover for baseline maintenance. Friend from high school bought an 87 or 88 turbo after he joined the Air Force and spent quite a bit getting what had appeared to be a very nice and well maintained example up to snuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aT7xtrCxZGoFZx8FfppWcdXLVzOfVwddKq7FCCunn218FnHJcXu39QPERmPf7Tyh