2/25/13 10:29 a.m.

anyone have experience with these? http://www.suprastore.com/spquspva.html

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/25/13 10:36 a.m.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
2/25/13 11:07 a.m.
Cotton wrote: anyone have experience with these? http://www.suprastore.com/spquspva.html

This looks like it shouldn't be destructive at least.

Geekspeak's turbo bypass valve would be helpful and nondestructive as well.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/25/13 11:23 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Cotton wrote: anyone have experience with these? http://www.suprastore.com/spquspva.html
This looks like it shouldn't be destructive at least. Geekspeak's turbo bypass valve would be helpful and nondestructive as well.

No hands on experience, but there's threads with dyno results of them floating around. They DO make a big difference.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
2/25/13 11:28 a.m.

compound turbo

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/25/13 11:30 a.m.
Raze wrote: compound turbo

Sometimes, it really IS the answer!

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/25/13 11:40 a.m.

isn't the answer called a clutch?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/25/13 11:41 a.m.
yamaha wrote: isn't the answer called a clutch?

I find that that answer usually comes with sky high IATs, heatsoaking, and belt issues when trying to actually you know... make real power.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/25/13 12:06 p.m.

OK, so then I agree a compound turbo is a E36 M3load better than the dumping of raw fuel into the turbine.....

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
2/25/13 2:31 p.m.

This is the answer for me, unfortunately the cost ruled it out initially. I'm running a large single on my truck, but twins are what I really need. I'm still debating moving to twins, but in the meantime water/meth injection or something like that mechanical quick spool valve may be the way to go.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
2/25/13 2:57 p.m.
Internet said: Celica GT4's ran oxygen through metal turbes into the exhaust manifold during throttle lift off, in conjunction with the ecu retard timing to about 40* (retarded) and the addition of an extremely rich fuel dump they were able to delay the combustion enough to where it would occur while the exhaust valves were open and thus keeping the turbo spooled.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
2/25/13 3:07 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
This is the answer for me, unfortunately the cost ruled it out initially. I'm running a large single on my truck, but twins are what I really need. I'm still debating moving to twins, but in the meantime water/meth injection or something like that mechanical quick spool valve may be the way to go.

Confused here.

I have somewhat limited turbo knowledge, but my understanding is that a properly sized and piped single will be similar in spool time as similarly sized and piped (yes the piping can be more efficient, hence 'similarly') twins. You also said compounding. Did you -not- mean twins?

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
2/25/13 4:02 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Cotton wrote:
Confused here. I have somewhat limited turbo knowledge, but my understanding is that a properly sized and piped single will be similar in spool time as similarly sized and piped (yes the piping can be more efficient, hence 'similarly') twins. You also said compounding. Did you -not- mean twins?

My single is on the large side, so I guess you can say it isn't "properly sized", but I need to move a lot of air to keep the EGTs down. A smaller turbo feeding the monster would cure my lag issue. Here is the turbo I'm running: http://www.industrialinjection.com/shop/product/phatshaft-62-70/

I got it with the 14cm exhaust housing.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
2/25/13 8:59 p.m.
This is not antilag. Antilag keeps the turbo spooled while having the engine create very little torque so it doesn't push through the brakes, all while the throttle is closed.

Ok, so the throttle is open... But if you're running stupid rich, retarded timing, and skipping spark events, you're not making torque and you're not pushing through the brakes.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 Reader
2/26/13 12:46 a.m.
Conquest351 wrote: How would you design a street friendly anti-lag system?

Get rid of the turbo?

Sorry, I will now go back to lurking, and leave the productive discussion to those with more forced induction experience.

Ojala
Ojala Reader
2/26/13 8:48 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61:

Productive discussion? Where? Let me know if you see any more of that mess and we'll see if we can get rid if it!

Crazyguy
Crazyguy None
12/7/13 4:46 p.m.

does anyone think that a liquid co2 method would work? by pumping the co2 directly infront of the supercharger you could keep its speed up, and vary the opening and closing of a electric valve to the co2 based on manifold pressure, anyone have the software to test this idea? co2 turns from liquid to gas at 800 psi, so as long as your exaust pressure is lower than that ill add to the pressure in the exaust manifold, and since its stored in liquid form, a medium sized bottle (2.5lb and its fairly common) would last for quite a long time, only thing is i know that c02 likes to be very cold when it expans from liquid to gas, anyone have any concerns or ideas to this???

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/7/13 5:18 p.m.

Interesting idea (I guess that by "supercharger" you mean "exhaust turbine.") CO2 does get cold when it decompresses so thermal expansion/contraction at the injection point could be a problem.

Crazyguy
Crazyguy New Reader
12/7/13 5:25 p.m.

thats where my concern comes in, im deciding if i should try this on my f focus, but id rather not crack the exaust manifold from thermal shock, and your right i did mean exaust turbine, only thing is ive no idea what i should do about the injection point and i dont know if the co2 being as cold as it is compareatively to the turbo will damave the turbine itself or the houseing for that matter,

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/7/13 5:41 p.m.

I doubt it would damage the turbine, by the time the gas reaches the turbine after mixing with exhaust gas it won't be so cold, I'd be worried about cracking the exhaust manifold...I think you'd want to inject the CO2 at a shallow angle so it won't cool one small spot on the opposite manifold wall, and it should be as close to the head as possible.

Crazyguy
Crazyguy New Reader
12/7/13 5:56 p.m.

well i guess all thats left is to try it, just have to figure some way to make a check valve at the injection point so the manifold wont leak pressure once the co2 is removed

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/7/13 6:17 p.m.

<-- didn't read whole thread, but how about this? Put a small brake on the crank pulley/belt drive. Brake would load against engine allowing you to put pedal to WOT and get turbo spooled up (just like brake torqueing an automatic). Fuel/cam/spark timing would all be untouched.

Obviously there would be numerous methods to control such a system, but I'd think if it were just for launching, a secondary e-brake connected to said brake would be pretty easy to do.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/7/13 9:46 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

People do that with the main brakes already, called brake boosting. Primarily something ricers do when racing from a roll.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/7/13 9:56 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: People do that with the main brakes already, called brake boosting. Primarily something ricers do when racing from a roll.

Yup. This would just allow you to do it from a stop with the clutch disengaged.

Similarly, with a DBW throttle body, and some electronic control over the brake in said system, you could keep your turbo at full spool between shifts and during "off throttle" corners in autox without using the main brakes.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
12/7/13 9:58 p.m.

Or just use an automatic trans with a well-matched torque converter.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qr8MRm505ocmq81XxPYdKcl7VNePrMUSJHo5WClBoY4eXWQ1TuH6kGj7u8T8aBMs