1 2 3
HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
12/7/13 11:17 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I doubt it would damage the turbine, by the time the gas reaches the turbine after mixing with exhaust gas it won't be so cold, I'd be worried about cracking the exhaust manifold...I think you'd want to inject the CO2 at a shallow angle so it won't cool one small spot on the opposite manifold wall, and it should be as close to the head as possible.

Find/ use an exhaust manifold set up for air injection and use as much of the existing air injection plumbing as possible to inject the CO2?

I wonder if there is any danger of the CO2 drawing back into the combustion chamber and causing a misfire or flame out?

Answering my own question here: If using a proper cam shaft with an exhaust profile for turbo charging reversion shouldn't be an issue . OTOH, they weren't planning on hundreds of psi in the exhaust manifold that isn't the direct result of combustion, so who knows what would happen.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
12/8/13 6:25 p.m.

this always comes up on any turbo car forums and the general consensus is that it's a silly idea. Switch to a twin scroll turbo system if it exists to buy for your car or make one instead.

Crazyguy
Crazyguy New Reader
12/8/13 9:18 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

isnt this the same thing as left foot brakeing?

Crazyguy
Crazyguy New Reader
12/8/13 9:28 p.m.

In reply to kanaric:

i dont think this is a silly idea, anti lag systems generally destroy everything after the valve, (and including the valve) an effective means to keep a large turbo spooled means a smaller engine can effectively hold the same power as a larger one just with different terms, and blowers are awesome, but there must be a reason all the top forms of competitive racing use turbos instead, for instance you can create a larger boost pressure easier, ive never seen a blown car running 40 psi, but i've seen some wrc's that hold pressures up in that range, and it adds less weight to the rotating mass on my engine meaning i can jump through my rpm's quicker, and obtain the power otherwise lost to parasitic influences from rotational weight

Crazyguy
Crazyguy New Reader
12/8/13 9:43 p.m.

and also if anyone has the software to try this id love to know how it works befoure i try it myself, my other option to prevent the flame killing properties of co2 was to use propane ( stored at liquid around 200psi) this would create similar case as with a normal anti lag but the out put of heat is less than gas, so you would have the pressurized system and if its hot enough in the pipes the fireball as well

kanaric
kanaric Reader
12/9/13 12:20 a.m.
Crazyguy wrote: In reply to kanaric: i dont think this is a silly idea, anti lag systems generally destroy everything after the valve, (and including the valve) an effective means to keep a large turbo spooled means a smaller engine can effectively hold the same power as a larger one just with different terms, and blowers are awesome, but there must be a reason all the top forms of competitive racing use turbos instead, for instance you can create a larger boost pressure easier, ive never seen a blown car running 40 psi, but i've seen some wrc's that hold pressures up in that range, and it adds less weight to the rotating mass on my engine meaning i can jump through my rpm's quicker, and obtain the power otherwise lost to parasitic influences from rotational weight

well it's not a silly idea for a race car but for the street? Thats what i'm saying here.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/9/13 7:37 a.m.

Yeah I'd try it as a project if you're curious, but for practical tech on a street car...I'd say try (SS)VGT or twin-scroll with that "quick spool valve" first. And add in Geekspeak's bypass valve in either case.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/9/13 8:58 a.m.
Crazyguy wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: isnt this the same thing as left foot brakeing?

Yes, except you can do it from a standstill with a manual.

Also, it would be easy to "program" the anti-lag device and not have it berkeley with your brakes.

Jcamper
Jcamper New Reader
12/9/13 11:39 a.m.

Injecting CO2 will have problems being effective for very long. Remember that pressure, temperature, and volume are linked. The problem with CO2 is that it has a relatively high heat of fusion, meaning it absorbs heat in a change of state from liquid to gas, so it will lower the temperature drastically. In order to have enough volume to overcome the loss of pressure/temperature, you will need to expend a significant amount in a short amount of time. Probably end up being limited by regulator flow at the bottle, and then once you jump that hurdle, it will only work for a few cycles until the bottle is empty.

Propane would work better but not safe to plumb to an exhaust manifold I wouldn't think. J

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/10/13 10:15 a.m.

I have thought about this.......: Estes anti-lag. Tee a metal tube (or several tubes and rockets) into the exhaust manifold far enough away to keep motor exhaust heat from setting it off. (Behind a electric exhaust cutout or one way valve?....or better yet a reverse wastegate)

Hit the rocket ignition switch and you have heat and pressure in the exhaust manifold. Might? have to have a accusump or a dedicated system for turbo oil pressure.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8cXY0bMgXkC9DbJ89yIPVFob4M4OjxphrV8CroBBBwWbFkKQFWuWOuEOe3trvErL