1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/28/15 3:34 p.m.

I've been building a Speedster in the back of my head for about 20 years. It's not a 356 but a Model T with added lightness.

I have a line on a 1924 Paige 6 cylinder engine, tranny, driveshaft and both axles with good wood spoke wheels. (brakes on the rear axle only) $800.

I was thinking going to the airport a few miles away. Sunday breakfast; that kind of stuff. Like a motorcycle but bigger.

The engine below is what I'm looking at, 249c.i.

I'm not dialed into the vintage stuff, so what says the hive? Can I do better?

Dan

NickD
NickD Reader
12/28/15 3:37 p.m.

Engine-wise, I would stick with a Ford flathead V8 (They are one of the best-sounding engines ever) or Model A/B/C 4-cylinder, simply because they are a bit more of a known entity and there are tons of cool old speed parts for them Chevy Stovebolt 6 is another good option.

Honestly, I've never even heard of a Paige, so I imagine that getting maintenance parts would be a chore. If you really wanted to be daring, hunt down a Ford/Lincoln flathead V12. They are a total freak engine and most people don't want them and will practically give them away, yet they still share a number of parts with the flathead V8

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/28/15 3:42 p.m.

These are Speedsters:

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
12/28/15 4:49 p.m.

I would also stick with Ford or post ww2 power (Chrysler flathead 6?) to prevent headaches from that department, ditto on the axles/brakes.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
12/28/15 4:56 p.m.

Something is very tempting about using an engine I've never heard of and know absolutely nothing about.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/28/15 5:10 p.m.
914Driver wrote: These are Speedsters:

There is something so right about this one

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/28/15 5:37 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/odrIit-Gy2w

I'm going to leave that right there.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/28/15 5:39 p.m.

Too bad this is in NZ.. it's awesome. http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/ad4456.html

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
12/28/15 5:39 p.m.

Too bad they won't let you Rallycross one of those. On a muddy track one could surprise a lot of people if it doesn't roll over!

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
12/28/15 6:49 p.m.
914Driver wrote: These are Speedsters:

Dan, I know a local family who are the masters when it comes to Model-T performance, and have a speedster or two of their own. They win the Newport(IN) hillclimb yearly, in multiple classes, and run a business rebuilding Model-T carbs. Nice people too. If you're interested, PM me and I'll get you in contact with them.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
12/28/15 6:56 p.m.

sounds like a fun project. I'd stick with the non-ford drivetrain, well, because how many paige speedsters will you ever come across? Our neighbor in FL is building a locomobile speedster. At one point in its life it was a fire truck.

locomobile speedster

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
12/28/15 7:00 p.m.

Paige speedster

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
12/28/15 7:48 p.m.

The woman my wife used to buy dollhouse stuff from did speedsters with her husband. They look like a blast. If you can get the Paige running I'd go with that to be different.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/28/15 10:21 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Paige speedster

I never really cared for E&J headlights, but that an interesting use of one.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/28/15 11:24 p.m.

How weird am I for thinking a smallish diesel would be right for one of these things? Like a Nissan SD33. Or a Detroit 4-53 since they sound so wound up doing 3,000 RPM.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
12/29/15 2:20 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Or a Detroit 4-53 since they sound so wound up doing 3,000 RPM.

I like that, you'd end up with something kinda like a Bugatti type 35, sounds wayyyyyyy too revvy for how old it is, in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/iU3gZGUInd4

STM317
STM317 Reader
12/29/15 6:52 a.m.

I believe Cosworth is the answer you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSGSL3Nrmc

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/29/15 7:37 a.m.

I thought this was fun: http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/MTFCA/Articles/2504HellCat.pdf

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/29/15 8:28 a.m.

You've probably seen the American LaFrance Speedster, that's 14 liters that can be hand cranked!

This isn't something cobbled together by someone like us, this was a factory job made when ALF wanted to get into racing in 1915.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deysp2vYM4U

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/5/16 7:59 a.m.

Guy in Vermont has been selling two Brockways for over a year. One turns over, the other doesn't. Both are over the 18,000 lb. limit of my license, but if registered as antique then no CDL is required.

Make it run, lower the frame, shorten the wheelbase, keep the radiator shell and cowl; viola' - - Speedster!

He's been asking $1700 for both, I believe I can do better.

Thoughts?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/5/16 8:06 a.m.

bag it, add bed, rock on.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
1/5/16 10:29 a.m.
oldtin wrote: sounds like a fun project. I'd stick with the non-ford drivetrain, well, because how many paige speedsters will you ever come across? Our neighbor in FL is building a locomobile speedster. At one point in its life it was a fire truck. locomobile speedster

Sweet mango nectarine...I'm going to need a moment.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
1/5/16 11:01 a.m.

On that yellow Paige (it just occurred to me what you'd have if there were two of them...) what is the egg-shaped thing on the post near the driver's seat? Is that some sort of aimable light, or what?

Rupert
Rupert Dork
1/5/16 11:04 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver: Looks like with a bed that would make a great rig to take to Costco!

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
1/5/16 11:49 a.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: On that yellow Paige (it just occurred to me what you'd have if there were two of them...) what is the egg-shaped thing on the post near the driver's seat? Is that some sort of aimable light, or what?

Edmunds and Jones corporation (E&J) torpedo light. High quality but a little funky looking. They were around the 1920s. Sort of an aftermarket mfg before there was one.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tNq97tuo1Xs8vqBGOWkrfe94JaBf97ncybRT4TCeVLrOL6VhXUmux8J6jnYJ2Zq7