BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
3/27/13 9:10 a.m.

It's fleet overhaul time at Casa Boxhead, where we are trying to replace too many old vehicles with fewer, newer vehicles. As part of the big shuffle we need a second car with an autobox (wife doesn't drive manual and doesn't care about learning) that is also an occasional four seater. I have a certain liking for rotaries and I've been tempted by an RX8 for a while, but the big question is how "bad" it is with the automatic. Conventional wisdom seems to suggest that rotaries and autoboxes aren't the best combination available, but apart from Internet hearsay, does anybody have concrete experience with them?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/27/13 9:12 a.m.

I test drove one. It was infuriating. Less power on top of being sapped by an auto trans.

Barf.

Powar
Powar Dork
3/27/13 9:15 a.m.

Don't do it.

I love the RX-8, but as someone who has been in them with both transmission options, the automatic is a horrible match to the rotary.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
3/27/13 9:55 a.m.

Guess that buries this idea then...

Thanks, I knew someone here would have first hand experience of them.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
3/27/13 10:30 a.m.

The automatics had the crappy 4-port engine; they also suffered the highest rate of engine failures by a SIGNIFICANT margin, largely because they are driven too casually (rotaries need to be warmed up and run hard regularly to stay healthy). The gas mileage is also even more dismal than the manuals.

Auto + rotary = pretty much always a terrible idea.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
3/27/13 10:44 a.m.

I would never buy one. Not only does it have less power and is poorly suited to a low torque engine, but it can't be bump started. Considering RX8's have a propensity to flood, I 'd think twice about this.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/27/13 11:42 a.m.

BAD idea.

Tac
Tac New Reader
6/1/13 10:44 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: The automatics had the crappy 4-port engine; they also suffered the highest rate of engine failures by a SIGNIFICANT margin, largely because they are driven too casually (rotaries need to be warmed up and run hard regularly to stay healthy). The gas mileage is also even more dismal than the manuals. Auto + rotary = pretty much always a terrible idea.

I think the 06 or 07 model year-up got the 6-port. Not sure if that will change anyone's opinion on the AT RX8 though.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
6/1/13 11:00 p.m.

AT RX8 is about as much fun as being in a Turkish prison. Much better choices out there, BMW maybe?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/1/13 11:03 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I test drove one. It was infuriating. Less power on top of being sapped by an auto trans. Barf.

IIRC I think they also were derated along with being strapped with an auto.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/1/13 11:16 p.m.

Yep. Hence why "less power."

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
6/2/13 6:50 a.m.

GHOST THREAD

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
6/2/13 11:58 a.m.

I believe they were rated at higher torque due to the 4-port engine, but lower horsepower. I don't understand the hate for the 4-port engine. All the turbo rotaries are 4-port. I have a 4-port in both my 12A powered Rx-7, and in my 13B REPU. The 13B 4-port rips!!!

With all that said I wouldn't recommend the auto RX-8 either, but I never recommend an automatic in anything.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZVUWfYwHydXyB6EIhs064iXJnY9xHUDrodIH23pp1kKrdTRdKCcEbjzZX0AlIXnY