Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
7/4/22 1:14 p.m.

Redesigning my more-indestructible motor mounts

Figure I'll get stuff sent off to SendCutSend, I've never done a tab-slot setup for lasercut files though.  I could just take a file and knock down whatever doesn't fit, clamp it all in, force it, but I'd rather just do it right.

Anyone have tips for how much clearance I need with the parts?

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/4/22 1:26 p.m.

Superfast Matt recommends 0.005" or 0.1 mm clearance between the tabs in this video and I think he has mentioned it in other videos as well. I've never done it but I'd try his recommendation based on all of the things he is building this way using send cut send.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/4/22 1:37 p.m.

Since you're welding, I'd err on the side of loose :)  They're really just there for jigging, right?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
7/4/22 1:46 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Looks like he does 0.005" on both sides.  Works for me

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
7/4/22 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Pretty much, yeah.  And so I don't have to worry about getting parts offset any direction

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 New Reader
7/11/22 7:38 p.m.

Send cut send recommends .010

I would shave down at least one of the tabs in a joint so you have a bigger gap to weld. if everything is perfect fit the best you could do is a fusion weld which i dont think is the greatest. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/11/22 7:52 p.m.

I worked at a precision sheetmetal shop once upon a time.  .005" was normal, but I would increase if the fit part crossed multiple bends.

That said, what is critical here is measuring the actual thickness you are going to be working with.  I.E. you spec 1/8" material, but they cut 0.119" and there goes your gap.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rNjkQZFY61nz7p4ZSgq4S8LfoREcLHTasaJ3l75vZuYky6ezQrh11AXidrTnkqeY