1 2 3 4
Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/3/12 1:17 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: so carry a red umbrella. really, why are people so pissy about cone-shaggers using umbrellas?

Because the SCCA has a few things in common with HOAs

When I autocross, it's usually with the local Corvette club. I always do my time shagging cones - especially since I'm a guest - but it's amazing how many people manage to not do it. It's a great way to learn by watching other drivers.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/3/12 1:21 p.m.

We usually lay the guilt on at the drivers meeting about working your shift. We also have folks who's job it is to get you out there, so we get your name on the PA if you are missing your shift. We basically say if you have to leave early, that's fine just make sure you are working your shift as well. If we notice a slacker, the next event we make every effort to put them in the run group that drives last, so they are sure to work first. We are such a small group, it's too easy to notice those that aren't contributing.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/3/12 1:24 p.m.
Keith wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: so carry a red umbrella. really, why are people so pissy about cone-shaggers using umbrellas?

Ahhhahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
2/3/12 1:45 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Keith wrote:
Ahhhahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda funny. Does that mean local clubs have things in common with the Keystone Cops?

SCCA has to deal with insurance requirements from greater exposure to liabilities and potential claims. Many of the rules and procedures people complain about are the direct result of input from lawyers and actuaries who couldn't tell an autocross from a dog show.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/3/12 1:46 p.m.

Funny, the PCA and NASA sanction as many autocrosses (and are as "well known") as the SCCA, and they don't have nearly as many silly pedantic rules...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/3/12 1:48 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Funny, the PCA and NASA sanction as many autocrosses (and are as "well known") as the SCCA, and they don't have *nearly* as many silly pedantic rules...

The NASA ruleset gets pretty annoying as well.

What's NASA and PCA's equivalent to Nationals?

(Not that SCCA's ruleset isn't obnoxious as hell, but unless i'm missing something, that sure wasn't the original point of the thread. But yes... the umbrella crap is dumb.)

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/3/12 1:55 p.m.

PCA has the Parade, which includes the National Championship autocrosses. Many an SCCA champ cut their teeth there including the Fordhal's...

And don't kid yourself, the insurance difference between a Nat's and a local event is nill except for maybe the car/driver count.

wae
wae New Reader
2/3/12 2:13 p.m.

I always thought the best view of the event was being out on the course. There was only one time that I thought I was going to have to bail on my course working: it was day two of a two-day rallycross event and I had an early afternoon flight. I volunteered to bring and cook breakfast for the folks that camped at the site overnight to make up for it. Even still I felt terrible about needing to leave and was ecstatic when the event went so fast that I was able to stick around, work the course, and still get to the airport on time. Guess some of us had mommas that raised us right and some us us buy GTRs to make up for it...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/3/12 2:15 p.m.
Javelin wrote: PCA has the Parade, which includes the National Championship autocrosses. Many an SCCA champ cut their teeth there including the Fordhal's... And don't kid yourself, the insurance difference between a Nat's and a local event is nill except for maybe the car/driver count.

Hrmmm... never heard of it. What's the attendance like?

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/3/12 2:29 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Funny, the PCA and NASA sanction as many autocrosses (and are as "well known") as the SCCA, and they don't have *nearly* as many silly pedantic rules...

I got a cease and desist phone call because our small group of 20-odd autocrossers was using the NASA classification system. We weren't claiming to be NASA or anything, just using their points-based classing. Apparently this opens them up to liability or some nonsense.

They did offer to let us run sanctioned events, which meant we got to use their more expensive insurance. I respectfully declined. Now we don't use a classing system at all, it's basically 100% timed fun runs. We used to put days on where you'd get 12-odd runs for $25.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
2/3/12 2:40 p.m.
We used to put days on where you'd get 12-odd runs for $25.

Wow, now that I would do.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/3/12 3:30 p.m.

We average 8 runs (60 seconds plus) for $30 with the PCA, and we have a classification system that includes non-Porsches.

steverife
steverife New Reader
2/3/12 3:31 p.m.

I once attended a PCA event where one of the work assignments was to stand at the end of a stop box and hold your hand out as cars approached you from 40 mph.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
2/3/12 3:58 p.m.
  1. Anybody who belongs to the club/organization putting on an event should expect to work when they are not driving.

2. Anybody who does not belong to the club but is participating in the event should not have to work, since they pay a higher fee. The catch here is to make the fee substantial; estimate how much time somebody would likely be shagging cones and multiply it by the minimum wage then DOUBLE that and then tack that onto the entry fee. Waive the fee for any non-member that decides to work.

That about sums up my feelings on the whole thing.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
2/3/12 4:03 p.m.
Keith wrote:

Ouch! That stings, but only because it can be true sometimes.

My problem is that I can't really run in the heat anymore. I think I'm going to have to start arriving early enough for set-up duties. Really doesn't sound like such a bad gig..get your work assignment over first thing, and spend the rest of the day drivin & yakkin.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
2/3/12 4:47 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Course workers cannot use umbrellas at many SCCA events. You can't sprint to a cone and reset it too well with an umbrella in your hand.

Argh, I freaking hate this rule, its not that hard to close an umbrella or just put it down if its not windy. I am one of those fair skin people that go from bright white to bright red and blistering almost instantly even when SPF50 is applied. And even that has its own issues when sweat is involved, and in Florida sweat is always involved.

I was worker chief for a number of years and it was always hell trying to track down people who tried to get out of their worker duties. It sucks being the cop, usually there was enough workers and I would have rather just DNF'ed all of them. On the other hand most people are good and ones that had a conflict offered to work a different heat or whatever, thank you if you always do your work assignment no matter what.

I have taken to volunteering in T&S or gate duty if they say no umbrellas on course.

This guy is one of those people that just doesn't get it, he won't be back so I wouldn't worry about it.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
2/3/12 5:27 p.m.
Javelin wrote: We average 8 runs (60 seconds plus) for $30 with the PCA, and we have a classification system that includes non-Porsches.

I run our PCA events out here-good times! Last one was a nearly 2 mile course, paid corner workers so no worries about working shifts-just driving, a food truck and plenty of runs. I don't care about classifications or cheap trophies so I usually bring something other than a Porsche.

Will
Will Dork
2/3/12 6:14 p.m.

Why do autocrossers need umbrellas when we all have such stylish, floppy hats?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
2/3/12 7:00 p.m.

^^True^^

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/3/12 7:17 p.m.

The funniest part is that guy thinks that it is anyway fun to see an overweight super-nanny ugly looking but undeniably high performance GT-R. I do not like to see them. I do not like them Sam I Am.

steverife
steverife New Reader
2/3/12 7:40 p.m.

Do you folks that are the umbrella carriers go to baseball games or football games? Or carry an umbrella when you go to the park and it is sunny? Or when you are working on the house or out in the field or mowing the grass?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette HalfDork
2/3/12 8:12 p.m.

I learned in ATL to where long pants and long sleeve shirts light in color to keep the sun off my skin. May have been Dave Hardy I saw with a wet rag tucked under his cap over his neck (If not you then I apologize). I would keep a golf towel in the cooler of water and ice and simply use my cap to keep it on my neck. Felt great, kept the sun off. Rarely needed sunblock except on the nose and cheeks.

You know Bedouins make due without umbrellas and cover their entire body to keep the sun off. Properly vented you'll stay cool, too.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/4/12 7:57 a.m.

George that reminds me. I've started taking a frozen t-shirt or two to events. I fold up a t-shirt, soak it in water and toss it in a plastic bag. I put in in the freezer over night. It goes in my cooler for the event, but as the day gets hot, I stuff it under my hat and let it cover my neck.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
2/4/12 9:20 a.m.

I just put on sunscreen. If it gets hot, I sweat.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/4/12 10:22 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I just put on sunscreen. If it gets hot, I sweat.

Then you are a lucky dude. I think I was raised in hockey rink with no windows. The Sun and I have a love/hate relationship. I can barely survive VT summers. Florida summers would result in my death, I am certain. I spent about 30 minutes total outside in a mid april visit to Vegas, and felt like I had stepped on to the surface of the sun. Ever seen the movie Powder? I look like his pale uncle.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NQ7lzcF6iIxNKR3O675rcldXiJj3LEC5QhjeHI7nYKIQwVaifkc1XMlTbdM8LuIv